Sponsored by:

1976 Non Tilt/Tele Steering Column - Steering Wheel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM
dtmtoyz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Non Tilt/Tele Steering Column - Steering Wheel Replacement

Hi there. I have a 1976 Corvette with a non tilt, non telescoping steering column. I would like to replace the steering wheel, but I can't determine if I will need an adapter kit or not. I read the white papers by Jim Shea, but those focused on the differences with the tilt/tele columns. I certainly would appreciate any insight before I purchase a wheel and adapter kit. Thanks so much.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 AM
dtmtoyz
3rd Gear

Just to follow up for anyone else who may have the same issue with the 1976 Corvette: Since my car isn't stock anyway, I installed a GT hub and squared off wheel . . . gives me a bit more room with the non-tilt column.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:50 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

A smaller diameter (or non-round) steering wheel is a good first-step if you need more body-room in the C3 driver's area. The tilt-wheel conversion is the next (and hopefully, final) step to provide you with adequate space.

I don't have a 'space' issue in my '71, but I hated the old-black-thin stock steering wheel, so I installed a 13-1/2" diameter, leather-wrapped wheel with nearly the same design as a stock wheel. Works and feels great!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM
dtmtoyz
3rd Gear

Thanks for the great feedback. I just started looking at tilt columns. I added Corbeau A4 seats about a month ago, so a tilt column would certainly make getting in and out a bit easier. Ha. Take care.

Get notified of new replies

To 1976 Non Tilt/Tele Steering Column - Steering Wheel Replacement

Quick Reply: 1976 Non Tilt/Tele Steering Column - Steering Wheel Replacement