In a quandary on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a quandary on what to do

Apologies up front for the long post..

So have owned my C3 (1982 - Gold with ~62k miles) since 1984. The car sat in my garage for years without being driven. My son's and I did a "clean up & refresh" rebuilding the calipers, replacing fuel lines, break lines, major tune up, ect.. I drove it to a few shows a few years back, car developed a major vacuum leak (think it's the intake as there is antifreeze leaking onto top of the intake) so I parked it in the garage with intention of getting to it.. that was 2 years ago and I just really don't have the time to work on it.

Good friend wants to buy the car, I know he'd take good care of it.. Car has sentimental value to me but not sure if enough to just let it sit. Have no idea what it's worth, what should I ask, should I even sell.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Only you can decide whether you want to sell it. If you are just letting it sit and your son has no interest, get rid of it. With no pictures or details on options using an app called Corvette DNA I came up with a price of 11,875.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
Only you can decide whether you want to sell it. If you are just letting it sit and your son has no interest, get rid of it. With no pictures or details on options using an app called Corvette DNA I came up with a price of 11,875.

Thanks, you bring up a good point I should really check with my kids.. My boys (all 3) grew up with the car in the family.

As for condition, car is very original..Paint is not great, starting to show its age. Interior is good, not show quality. A few pic's of car before the cover went back on and back to the garage.
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice car. I can see where it would be hard to let that one go.
The following users liked this post:
Iuse2Fish (10-19-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

you have had your fun ,you have your memories.now sell it to some else so they can enjoy.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Just be sure to disclose any defects to a potential buyer should you sell. Looks like a keeper to me though. Make time. Nice car.

Last edited by resdoggie; 10-20-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Over the 18 yrs I've owned my vette I given thought to selling on a few occasions. I purchased the car two weeks after my second son was born. It's been part of the family and raising my two kids. Lot's of memories.

My vette has been off the road for the last 7 yrs. Life gets in the way sometimes.

During the off road time I've rebuilt the front suspension, steering and installed a 5 speed. Lots of work and expense on the car but little enjoyment.

I'm about to get her back from my neighbor where I left the car 7 months ago after moving. He finished up the 5 speed and said she is running better than ever.

For the first time, in a long time, I'm excited about my vette and the opportunity to have some fun. I feel like I'm getting the car for the first time again.

At this point I'm sure glad I did not sell it. And with all of the memories, I'm now planning to give the vette to my oldest son when the day comes I can no longer work on nor drive the car. After all, it's part of the family now.

Good luck to you whatever decision you make.

Jim
Old 10-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice Corvette. I don't see many in that original condition around these parts. that would be a car I would buy.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You will have to decide for your self but I am looking for a C3 right now and I see the 82s for between $8k and $20 non running my best guess $4k-$6k maybe less
Old 10-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
Over the 18 yrs I've owned my vette I given thought to selling on a few occasions. I purchased the car two weeks after my second son was born. It's been part of the family and raising my two kids. Lot's of memories.

My vette has been off the road for the last 7 yrs. Life gets in the way sometimes.

During the off road time I've rebuilt the front suspension, steering and installed a 5 speed. Lots of work and expense on the car but little enjoyment.

I'm about to get her back from my neighbor where I left the car 7 months ago after moving. He finished up the 5 speed and said she is running better than ever.

For the first time, in a long time, I'm excited about my vette and the opportunity to have some fun. I feel like I'm getting the car for the first time again.

At this point I'm sure glad I did not sell it. And with all of the memories, I'm now planning to give the vette to my oldest son when the day comes I can no longer work on nor drive the car. After all, it's part of the family now.

Good luck to you whatever decision you make.

Jim
Jim,
Thanks for the input, yeah that's what my wife say's "It's part of the family".. After all, I've had the car now for 33 years.. You couldn't be more right, life does get in the way. I test drove a C6, got hooked bought one drove it for years, was blast and sold it before the C7's came out. Toyed with doing a drive train swap on the C3 to improve the fun-factor but didn't want to ruin the "originality" of the car. Maybe I should get over that, not like it's a 1 or kind..

Go
Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Iuse2Fish
I drove it to a few shows a few years back, car developed a major vacuum leak (think it's the intake as there is antifreeze leaking onto top of the intake) so I parked it in the garage with intention of getting to it..
"Vacuum" leaks are basically invisible, therefore don't leave coolant all over the manifold. THAT could be as simple as replacing the thermostat housing gasket. If the car idles reasonably well, you may not have a vacuum leak, at all.

Personally, I think the car is too nice to "dump", so I'd have a qualified mechanic give it a look. Maybe the issues, if any, are easy to fix, then go enjoy the car!!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"Vacuum" leaks are basically invisible, therefore don't leave coolant all over the manifold. THAT could be as simple as replacing the thermostat housing gasket. If the car idles reasonably well, you may not have a vacuum leak, at all.

Personally, I think the car is too nice to "dump", so I'd have a qualified mechanic give it a look. Maybe the issues, if any, are easy to fix, then go enjoy the car!!

Thanks. I thought about hooking up my vacuum pump to see if I can chase it down. It's a vacuum leak for sure, idle is horrible and you can hear it. The coolant is in the rear of the intake, driver side.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:17 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Toyed with doing a drive train swap on the C3 to improve the fun-factor but didn't want to ruin the "originality" of the car. Maybe I should get over that, not like it's a 1 or kind.. Go
Originality can certainly be important, but some vettes don't seem to appreciate much, especially the later year C3. My brother has been trying to sell his all original 1980 4 speed for two years.

For me originality is simply not a concern. I purchased my vette to have fun with no burden relative to originality.

I installed a Ford Z-spec T5. This swap was all the rage on the forum 10-15 yrs ago. Made for an interesting project. Total investment was around $1200 .

Today will be the first time I get to drive the vette with the 5 speed. My neighbor said it's a blast to drive now, 70 mph on the highway at 2200 rpm. And pulls strong out of first gear. Perfect for future autocross.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
Originality can certainly be important, but some vettes don't seem to appreciate much, especially the later year C3. My brother has been trying to sell his all original 1980 4 speed for two years.

For me originality is simply not a concern. I purchased my vette to have fun with no burden relative to originality.
Agree. I bought the car originally because I wanted to drive it, not store it or because I thought it would appreciate. Even though only less than 700 built in this color, don't expect that matters.

The fun factor, drivability, and reliability was exactly why I bought the C6. Got me thinking about what I can do with the C3.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:33 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Thanks. I thought about hooking up my vacuum pump to see if I can chase it down. It's a vacuum leak for sure, idle is horrible and you can hear it. The coolant is in the rear of the intake, driver side.
Good idea. The leak could be in the headlight or HVAC system, and not engine related at all.........
Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

like modding too but yours is clean and complete enough hate to see it hacked apart.
Talkto Buccaneer he can show you how to make your CFI one torque beast. He had a lot to do with development of the new crossram...summit sells, believe his is a 383. yours could haul butt and still look stock. Add afr heads...180 for 350 195 for 383 a roller cam headers youre moving. Easy 12s

ls swaps are great but in 10 yrs it will be like seeinga tpi conversion.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ems-msren-100
The following users liked this post:
Iuse2Fish (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:31 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Apologies up front for the long post..

So have owned my C3 (1982 - Gold with ~62k miles) since 1984. The car sat in my garage for years without being driven. My son's and I did a "clean up & refresh" rebuilding the calipers, replacing fuel lines, break lines, major tune up, ect.. I drove it to a few shows a few years back, car developed a major vacuum leak (think it's the intake as there is antifreeze leaking onto top of the intake) so I parked it in the garage with intention of getting to it.. that was 2 years ago and I just really don't have the time to work on it.

Good friend wants to buy the car, I know he'd take good care of it.. Car has sentimental value to me but not sure if enough to just let it sit. Have no idea what it's worth, what should I ask, should I even sell.
Take the money !

Get notified of new replies

To In a quandary on what to do

Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Jim,
Thanks for the input, yeah that's what my wife say's "It's part of the family".. After all, I've had the car now for 33 years.. You couldn't be more right, life does get in the way. I test drove a C6, got hooked bought one drove it for years, was blast and sold it before the C7's came out. Toyed with doing a drive train swap on the C3 to improve the fun-factor but didn't want to ruin the "originality" of the car. Maybe I should get over that, not like it's a 1 or kind..

Go
On the other hand, you could possibly spend a lot of money on the car, still not drive it, decide that you should sell it and now have a different market with it no longer being the interesting original car it is now. I think that’s a bad option.

Sounds like your entire question is whether you will regret selling it. Doesn’t sound like you would miss it. Kids these days are more interested in the inheritance than the heirloom factor of Dads car... besides, how does that work with multiple kids? One car, right?

I’d be happy to see a neighbor who seems interested in the car rather
than it eventually going to a flipper or a modder.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
like modding too but yours is clean and complete enough hate to see it hacked apart.
Talkto Buccaneer he can show you how to make your CFI one torque beast. He had a lot to do with development of the new crossram...summit sells, believe his is a 383. yours could haul butt and still look stock. Add afr heads...180 for 350 195 for 383 a roller cam headers youre moving. Easy 12s

ls swaps are great but in 10 yrs it will be like seeinga tpi conversion.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ems-msren-100
i was looking at that intake, i'll send him a message.

thanks.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Iuse2Fish
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
On the other hand, you could possibly spend a lot of money on the car, still not drive it, decide that you should sell it and now have a different market with it no longer being the interesting original car it is now. I think that’s a bad option.

Sounds like your entire question is whether you will regret selling it. Doesn’t sound like you would miss it. Kids these days are more interested in the inheritance than the heirloom factor of Dads car... besides, how does that work with multiple kids? One car, right?

I’d be happy to see a neighbor who seems interested in the car rather
than it eventually going to a flipper or a modder.
Yep, got 3 boys.. One is into car's the other 2 not so much. Would I miss it, most like not.. At least not until I see someone driving it.

Yeah I think i should get the vacuum leak solved and then see what's next.

Quick Reply: In a quandary on what to do