Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a complete 71 Intereior

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Fire!!!! Need a complete 71 Interior.

I usually hang out on the C1/C2 side, but could use some advice from the experts here.

I'm looking at a 71 Big Block Auto car. It is numbers matching engine and transmission. The car had an interior fire so needs everything from the firewall back regarding interior and electrical. Side glass and rear window is fine. My thought would be to clean everything up, replace the wiring and whatever fiberglass is compromised and start buying used parts. Am I going to be able to find dash, console, etc? I'll attach a few photos. If there are any suggestions/comments from the photos you see, I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Al T; 10-22-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:31 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There are very few parts you can't find. You'll probably need to decide if aftermarket or OEM parts are good for where you want to go.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

That's the great thing about a C3, parts are readily available, reproduction, and often original. A real blessing compared to trying to restore something like a 70 Torino or 77 Pontiac Lemans. People often complain about the high prices, but I'd much rather that than "You can't get it at any cost".

Last edited by Priya; 10-20-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow. I like this car. It's unfortunate that happened to it, but you know what they say. One man's loss is another,s gain. Make sure to check the cage and frame before you commit. All the interior is available, but be prepared for the cost. Interior on an old C-3 is expensive and you need every piece. Go on line and check out prices. I prefer Paragon Corvette. See what it will cost to replace. Unless you can get a deal on the car, you may be upside down before you get it home.

Ray
Old 10-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

I think the price is OK. South of $10k Canadian. Here’s a photo of the interior before it was stripped. It doesn’t have appeared to have got too hot.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Al T; 10-20-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi AlT,
An interesting 71.

It looks like it will certainly need a dash harness, and from the photo perhaps a rear lighting harness. (Or was that intact and removed?)

It appears the forward fiber optics are gone which may require a forward lighting harness or perhaps just the fiber optic harness IF it's available separately.

Buying EVERYTHING for an interior is going to require more than a few bucks! Is your wallet prepared for that?
Many used interior parts that are available are in not such terrific condition and will need to be restored after you buy them.

What's the rear compartment like… the lids, trim etc?

This is really quite an undertaking in it's own way.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

A few years back I priced out a complete interior for a 79, it was about 4k U.S. That's not including any wiring, mechanical, heater/defroster controls, etc. Just the carpet, door panels, interior trim, seats, set belts, steering wheel, and so on (everything you'd need to do an interior colour change).

Last edited by Priya; 10-20-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi AlT,
An interesting 71.

Buying EVERYTHING for an interior is going to require more than a few bucks! Is your wallet prepared for that?
I’ve been through a divorce, my wallet is ready for anything. lol

Seriously though, I would be replacing all the wiring in the car anyway. It was obviously an electrical issue that caused the fire in the first place.

Last edited by Al T; 10-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Watch the vendors for sale prices. I've seen lately a full wiring harness set sold as a bundle. Of course that was right after I got mine as individual harnesses.
Even the insulation for the firewall is out there.
IF you're not going back original, you can get aftermarket gauges that fit in the center with no cutting, or if you REALLY aren't going that way you could fab up an all aluminum dash. IMHO, kind of a clean slate.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

that easily has the potential to turn into a front clip and firewall removal project., to do it properly
Do you want to go that far?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bazza77
that easily has the potential to turn into a front clip and firewall removal project., to do it properly
Do you want to go that far?
Hell NO!!!!!

I’d put the 454 in a snowmobile before that.

Ohhhh....... and I now own it. lol

The firewall is fine, why would I replace the front clip? It did not get hot under the hood. They put the fire out with a 100# extinguisher. The engine wiring is still intact (but will be getting replaced). Apparently while in storage mice started dining on wiring and when he reconnected the battery to move it all hell broke loose. Fortunately a large extinguisher was within reasonable distance.

Last edited by Al T; 10-20-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Thinking about it, I did a front clip install in 1981 on a 1976 silver exterior white leather interior car that I had no clue what I was doing with. I was 16 and had bought a collision car. Learned a lot..... not to jack the car up on jack stands behind the front wheels when you’re setting gaps to glue the front end on. Gaps look beautiful, and then you set it back on the ground once the glue has set and see how things settle and gaps close on the top of the fenders. Pull things apart and start over. The second time I had the car on the ground when I set the gaps.
The crap I did when I was 16 fearlessly when I had no clue..... why am I so hesitant now. Maybe knowledge isn’t enlightening. lol

Last edited by Al T; 10-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

I replaced everything interior wise on a 69; 70; 71 and ‘72 ‘vette. The ‘72 was a fire that ruined everything except the glass. My receipts for all parts and smart shopping came in just under $10,000. It’s very easy to rack up a big bill fast. One word of advice, Al Knoch is a good supplier, ask for show prices and tell them up front you’re restoring everything. Ask for old OEM dash cores that are recovered in your color or try buying used OEM dash parts and have Al Knoch recover those parts. You may also want to do this for the door panels for the easiest fitting. If you never intend to have this car “judged” then shop for best prices. If interested I can tell you where I bought everything right down to the smallest hardware parts and how to ask for exceptional prices.

Rich
Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Al T
Hell NO!!!!!

The firewall is fine, why would I replace the front clip? It did not get hot under the hood. They put the fire out with a 100# extinguisher. The engine wiring is still intact (but will be getting replaced). Apparently while in storage mice started dining on wiring and when he reconnected the battery to move it all hell broke loose. Fortunately a large extinguisher was within reasonable distance.
OK , seeing it up close is obviously better . A great project for sure
Old 10-21-2017, 08:27 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

call vendors to ask for a special pricing on parts, with an order that large they might give a discount. cab not hurt to do. some give forum discount.

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 10-21-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Z06LMB;1595805554 If you never intend to have this car “judged” then shop for best prices. If interested I can tell you where I bought everything right down to the smallest hardware parts and how to ask for exceptional prices.

Rich[/QUOTE]

That’s definitley not an issue. I’m not a car show/show and shine person, nor will it ever be judged (while I own it). My intent will be to get it back to original using new, used, and reconditioned parts. Any leads on parts would be appreciated.

The car was originally Brands Hatch Green with saddle interior..... it will be going back to that...eventually.

Last edited by Al T; 10-21-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Out of curiosity, as mentioned the car has it’s born with engine and transmission. What kind of impact on value do you all think there is if I leave it red and install a black interior. Just curious. Honestly I think the right thing to do would be to go back to green w/ saddle interior. It would give me a car with no excuses.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a complete 71 Intereior

Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Al T,
It will only matter to someone who wants to have the car judged to some originality standards.
For that person the color of the exterior and interior compared to what's on the trim tag will have a big financial impact on what they would pay for the car.
But to most of the rest of the folks it will matter little…..especially if they happen to be looking for a red car with a black interior.
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Great project and definitely worth doing! You're certainly in at the right price too.
I had a Brands Hatch Green on Saddle '71 big block coupe. It is a terrific combination.
Like some of the guys have mentioned already, all of these parts are readily available, new or used. Saddle is a VERY common color so you should be able to get just about everything used at a reasonable price including good used door panels. If your seat frames are still intact, seat covers and foam are probably the only things you'll have to buy new to get that whole new interior look. If your frames are shot, buy any color, worn out seats and recover them. I'd hit eBay and the parts section here for any of the used stuff you'll need, including the harness. Put up an itemized "Want To Buy" listing here. I have found MANY parts here from my Corvette brothers at very reasonable prices, avoid the dealers on used stuff. They're usually over priced. Then try Corvette America for whatever you'll need new. I just purchased a complete interior from them after shopping all vendors and their price was absolutely the lowest. They also had a special on shipping, only $10 anywhere in the lower 48. I know that might not apply to you, but call them and they'll work with you.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Quick Reply: Need a complete 71 Intereior