C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm... You guys have me a little scared about my first Corvette!

Old 10-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankeededandy
Since you ask for honest opintions, I'll address the elephant in the room: The one picture from underneath the car looks to me like serious rust issues.

I can't see how you could possibly tell that from that picture - nothing much can be distinguished in it.
The following users liked this post:
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cyxelsid
Thanks Ed! Interesting that you are seeing white, I didn't pick up on that.
Personally I think what Ed sees as white under the paint is just light reflecting off the car. If you've seen the car in person I'd trust your judgment far more than what someone says looking at a picture.
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:53 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

So, I just read the "Ten Rules For Buying Your First C3 Corvette"... and I am a little freaked out! I bought my 1969 Convertible C3 recently. I found it in a barn in Northern California, and it looked like it was in pretty good shape to me, but I only got about 45 minutes with it. I live in Southern California, so I have not been up to see it since that first look. Hence, I have fallen into the emotional trap... It then took me 5 months to get the owner to sell it to me. I would check back in with him periodically, and we would tell me he was driving it on weekends, waxing it, that he had fixed this or that little thing. He has been forth coming when I ask questions about the history of the car.

Finally, it is cold up north and he knows it is time to garage it for another winter, and he is ready to sell. He has made me what appears to be a pretty excellent deal for the car, by all accounts, $8,500.00. He has not been pushing the sale on me, in fact, just the opposite.

When I posted pics on the intro section, I got one response that said I should check the wheel wells for damage (which I didn't do, and can't do before I get up there to pick it up). I am wondering if this is just something they said in general, or if they saw something in the pictures I didn't notice. I see that was in the list of things to check generally, so that gives me hope.

I have been working on 60's and 70's vehicles most of my life, but never in a restoration manner... more of a "keep 'em running" way. Now I am older with the resources to attempt my dream car.

So, I am going to repost these photos (unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the engine compartment, but I did not see any red flags there, it all looked stock) and ask for HONEST feedback... do you see anything in these photos that I should be seriously concerned about? The car is already bought and paid for, so I am pretty much stuck with her, lemon or not, so now I just want to know how deep the water is... I am headed up north with a truck and a flatbed to pick her up this weekend. She runs... but I am not going to risk an 800 mile trip without going through her front to back myself.

OK Folks... let me have it.
Nice choice. You stated it was your dream car and you now own it. So completely take it apart (body off) and rebuild it. Don't look back, anything can be fixed. Have fun and make it what you want.
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
Personally I think what Ed sees as white under the paint is just light reflecting off the car. If you've seen the car in person I'd trust your judgment far more than what someone says looking at a picture.
I think there is some light reflecting that looks like white, but I also think there are some chips on the side of the car, on the hood and particularly along the passenger door shadow line that reveal a little white under them. There’s a rear 1/4 scrape that looks like it could have white under it too.

Not a big deal and maybe I’m not seeing the picture well either.

Love to see engine and better frame photos. Emergency brake cover looks like someone actually covered it with material because it was cracked... they all crack and people often don’t know how to get them off. The leather color is way off and you can see the stitching on the corners that should not be there on that plastic piece.

Price is a terrific starting point on a ‘69 roadster. Needs paint obviously.

Needs a top. Look like a cat hopped up on that rear deck too, hope he didn’t leave any gifts.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 10-24-2017 at 03:08 PM.
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
cyxelsid
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankeededandy
Not much will beat a 69 Corvette convertible. I do hope you'll be happy with the car. Since you ask for honest opintions, I'll address the elephant in the room: The one picture from underneath the car looks to me like serious rust issues. I'd be more than a little worried, in what condition the birdcage and the frame really are.

What is your own impression?

Good luck with the project

Martin
@Martin, thanks for the honest opinion... from a newbie standpoint, I didn't see what I thought was significant rust for a 49 year old car... but then again I have never had to do a restoration so my judgement means nothing. Now that I know what to look for, I will look at the frame and birdcage when I get up there on Saturday. Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

$8500 buys you a crappy used SUV or a high mile pickup truck around here. What would you rather have? I'd say you did great buying a classic corvette convertible with that same $8500.
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 PM
cyxelsid
Instructor

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Nice choice. You stated it was your dream car and you now own it. So completely take it apart (body off) and rebuild it. Don't look back, anything can be fixed. Have fun and make it what you want.
Thanks Caski! Yes, I saw my first '69 Stingray Convertible when I was 11 and fell in love immediately. Have always wanted one since. I hope it is as much fun as it has been in my dreams!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 PM
cyxelsid
Instructor

A HUGE THANKS to all of you who responded! I certainly wish I had found this site earlier, but hey, such is life. My plan is to take this car, make her whatever she can be, and enjoy her for as long as possible.

I really appreciate the insights and recommendations, and of course I LOVED hearing from those of you that thought this was a good deal! But I also appreciate those who told me what their concerns would be. I e-mailed the seller and asked for more pics, including the engine and trim tag. He may just tell me to wait until Saturday. However he did tell me that he has been cleaning her up, and sent me a photo from this morning... she does look good in the sunlight! It's the red one... not the yellow one...
Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM
cyxelsid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chapter2
$8500 buys you a crappy used SUV or a high mile pickup truck around here. What would you rather have? I'd say you did great buying a classic corvette convertible with that same $8500.
@Chapter2... Yeah, I will take the Vette... oh wait... I did!
Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you can't go wrong as long as the frame and cage are in good shape.
The red color is a mystery to me -

I just assumed he was telling the truth as he knows it. I further assumed that this was a severely faded and oxidized Monaco Red.
Maybe you meant Monza Red which is the only red offered in '69
code 974 on trim tag. If it was originally Can Am White, which is beautiful,
the Trim tag would be 972. I'm jealous -
you can drive this car and work on it at your leisure...
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 PM
cyxelsid
Instructor

Originally Posted by mchar
I think you can't go wrong as long as the frame and cage are in good shape.
The red color is a mystery to me -

Maybe you meant Monza Red which is the only red offered in '69
code 974 on trim tag. If it was originally Can Am White, which is beautiful,
the Trim tag would be 972. I'm jealous -
you can drive this car and work on it at your leisure...
@mchar - You are absolutely correct! I did mean Monza Red. My newbie is showing...

Anyway, one of the other posts say that Monza Red and Tan were not an available color option for the 1969. However, this website (http://web-cars.com/corvette/corvett...ptionyear=1969) says these were the possible color combinations:

Ext Color Interior Colors Top Colors Wheels974 Monza Red Black / Red / Saddle Black / White / Beige Silver
I am no where near knowledgeable enough to know what the options actually were, so I will have to rely on the trim tag, either when the seller sends me a pic, or when I get up there Saturday.

I am absolutely planning on getting her reliable first, so that I can enjoy her. Being in Southern California, every day is convertible weather, so I plan to make use of her!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:01 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

C3 vette`s , I have seen a lot worse examples, that people have paid a lot more for.
your positive attitude will make it all work out.
bfit

Last edited by bfit; 10-24-2017 at 08:08 PM.
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

@mchar - You are absolutely correct! I did mean Monza Red. My newbie is showing...

Anyway, one of the other posts say that Monza Red and Tan were not an available color option for the 1969. However, this website (http://web-cars.com/corvette/corvett...ptionyear=1969) says these were the possible color combinations:

Ext Color Interior Colors Top Colors Wheels974 Monza Red Black / Red / Saddle Black / White / Beige Silver
I'm surprised the Lemans blue wasn't available with the gunmetal interior - that's the way I would have wanted it if I was buying back in 69.
cyxelsid (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 11:45 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

I'm surprised the Lemans blue wasn't available with the gunmetal interior - that's the way I would have wanted it if I was buying back in 69.
There was one on Long Island for sale last year in that combo from the factory. It looked legit but I didnt save a pic of the trim tag. It was pretty cheap also, around 17k if I remember, non original small block, custom mags.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ed427vette
There was one on Long Island for sale last year in that combo from the factory. It looked legit but I didnt save a pic of the trim tag. It was pretty cheap also, around 17k if I remember, non original small block, custom mags.
If I had seen one like that back in 2009 I probably would have bought it instead of my 79.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:39 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

$8500 sounds great to me.

So exciting that you're going to finally get it!

"Found it in a barn", though? Did you just see it sitting there and asked about it, or what?

Last edited by oyealiz; 10-25-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:47 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You stole that car for $8500
cyxelsid (10-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Hmmm... You guys have me a little scared about my first Corvette!

Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 AM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This is just my opinion but I think that any questions of originality or "correctness" of details is completely irrelevant when you are talking about an $8500 drivable, chrome bumper Vette. If the body is undamaged, the frame and birdcage are in decent condition, then it is a great buy. Other things can either be corrected if you like or just left alone if you want. Like I say that is just how I would approach it if it were me.
cyxelsid (10-28-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

Even if you find the birdcage is rusted, pull the body and replace it. If you love this car don't look back and enjoy every minute you can in it. If it is truly a driver then make it safe. Install new tires even if they have plenty of tread, check the brakes, replace the hoses, especially the fuel lines, belts and all fluids. I'm sure there are corvette specialty shops in SoCal and I would take it to one and have them do a complete safety inspection before you put it on the road. Nice looking car, good luck and keep us posted on what you find and your progress.
cyxelsid (10-28-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't see how you could possibly tell that from that picture - nothing much can be distinguished in it.
Maybe it's because I was wearing my cynical glasses when I looked at the picture of the undercarriage. I looked again and even tried to enhance the pic with Photoshop and no, I can't find hard proof that it's rust. But my impression is still that it's more than just grime and debris.

Then again, maybe I'm just biased because it makes me automatically suspicious, if somebody seems to give away a 69 at a price that's almost too good to be true. Damn. I really must take off these cynical glasses. I've probably lived in Europe for too long Let's try this again: I really hope I'm wrong and that this little red convertible turns out to be a great deal. If there is no serious rust issue, everything else is easy to fix in comparison.

I hope you (cyxelsid) will keep us posted. I keep my fingers crossed.

Martin
The following 2 users liked this post by Yankeededandy:
cyxelsid (10-28-2017), Priya (10-25-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hmmm... You guys have me a little scared about my first Corvette!