Corvettes vs. the Ozone

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Corvettes vs. the Ozone

Been having some great weather in the Northwest this week. Took the 67 out for a quick ride to grab some coffee. The kid at Starbucks says, I know old cars are bad for the environment, but they sure are cool. Typical millennial. I told the kid that with unregulated factory's belching toxic fumes into the atmosphere my Vette is no threat. Are there still people out there that are blaming old cars for global warming.? Am I being irresponsible by only driving old Chevrolet's.?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

the air wasted my millenials is worse than any old car; generation of "help me out bro" is disgusting.
Why get a jobwhen they can make $ on FB YT living with mommy?

now get off my lawn!

$20 of gas gets me 20 min of run time, reeks & love every minute of it.

Last edited by cv67; 10-31-2017 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PainfullySlow (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

The kid must be too dumb to get on at Boeing
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Millenials believe what they`ve been told....
Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Tell the kid that the engines on Al Gore's jet are belching more carbon into the upper atmosphere on one flight than your old car will exhaust at street level during it's entire lifetime.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Tell the kid that the engines on Al Gore's jet are belching more carbon into the upper atmosphere on one flight than your old car will exhaust at street level during it's entire lifetime.
And that a third of the "zero emission" electric cars are actually powered by COAL!!
Jason Staley (11-03-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:48 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Been there... that's when you see that stoned over look on their face, like what?

Maybe 6-7 years ago I had a lady once at Costco while I was pumping gas into my H3 (no longer have it but loved that SUV) make some crazy comment about how tough it must be with the price of gas that it was (about $4/gal at the time) considering how bad the gas mileage was on my H3. She was trying to be all snotty with it based on her tone.

My response was, "About the same, if not a little better than your minivan. I'm actually averaging around 17-19 mpg". The look on her face was priceless, then I put the nozzle back on the pump, got in my H3 and drove off.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:08 PM
rrbnut
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually ask them which cars they think are best-typical answer usually e-cars. I then ask them if they had looked into the CO2 clouds being produced by manufacturing batteries - and of course they have not;then I ask them if they know where most raw materials for batteries comes from ! Of course they do not know. Then I detail the track the raw material makes from Canada to China to India to Japan and US during conversion to a battery-Then I ask the last question: Isn't a Corvette better to buy??
Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
And that a third of the "zero emission" electric cars are actually powered by COAL!!
While that's true in some cases, even when the electricity charging an electric car comes from a coal fired power plant the large scale production of electricity this way is more efficient than the burning of gasoline in a car such that even when you take into account this source of electricity for an electric car its CO2 and other emissions are lower than that of a regular gasoline powered car.

I sometimes feel guilty about driving an old car that pollutes a great deal more than a new car but given that I only drive my old car perhaps a few hundred miles a year it probably puts less total pollution in the air than the average Prius driver given that the average American drives around 20,000 miles a year.

Further, I read some years ago (it may be somewhat different now) that half the CO2 a new car is responsible for in its lifetime is created by the manufacturing of the car itself. So, if you drive an old car very little rather than buying a new car you're pretty far ahead on the CO2 game right off the bat.

Last edited by Priya; 10-31-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Priya
While that's true in some cases, even when the electricity charging an electric car comes from a coal fired power plant the large scale production of electricity this way is more efficient than the burning of gasoline in a car such that even when you take into account this source of electricity for an electric car its CO2 and other emissions are lower than that of a regular gasoline powered car.
Large scale production might be efficient-

BUT not after you take in to account the transferring of the energy's losses...

From coal to electricity- high voltage AC to low voltage AC then to DC to charge the batteries.. Then from the batteries DC it's converted back to AC to run the motor(s)...PLUS all the power used to carry the heavy batteries around in your car... AND when it's cold out you have to heat the batteries ...too hot out you have to cool the batteries...

Not really efficient at ALL...

NOT even taken in consideration ALL the energy consumed in the production of the batteries...AND the nasty process of recycling the used/spent batteries...
Old 10-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Large scale production might be efficient-

BUT not after you take in to account the transferring of the energy's losses...

From coal to electricity- high voltage AC to low voltage AC then to DC to charge the batteries.. Then from the batteries DC it's converted back to AC to run the motor(s)...PLUS all the power used to carry the heavy batteries around in your car... AND when it's cold out you have to heat the batteries ...too hot out you have to cool the batteries...

Not really efficient at ALL...
I've read that taking all that into account an electric car using electricity from a coal fired power plant still creates less CO2 and other pollutants than a traditional gasoline car. Seeing as I don't have a source of that information to you, you're welcome to disbelieve that as you choose. I on the other hand believe what I've read.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:20 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Blame it on cow farts.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,155 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Now I'm forced to say the "C" word! Slap tw0/2 modern mini-Cats on that dual exhaust C3 and the exhaust will clean up nicely (along with a proper tune-up)

Been there......it worked on my 350 carbed street rod!

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-31-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

I on the other hand believe what I've read.
OK- read Fox news then MSNBC....
Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Seeing as I don't have a source of that information to you, you're welcome to disbelieve that as you choose. I on the other hand believe what I've read.
"The ONLY thing I`m sure of...is that I`m not sure of anything".
I`ve read a lot too. But I don`t believe much of it. Especially if it was written by somebody who is pushing an agenda. Facts, figures, and studies can prove ANYTHING if you pay the "researchers" enough in grant money. I bet I could even find a study to prove the world really IS flat.
Torqued Off (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Screw millennials and all they believe in. Nothing but hypocritical crybabies, following supposed leaders whose agenda is hypocritical. If these types believe what they are concerned about, they need to stand up for and do not drive cars, do not consume any products made by environmentally dangerous things, do not fly airplanes, and go out in the wild and live off the land. Oh.....sorry, forgot, they can't get out of mommy and dads basement to get a job, so they certainly don't know how to survive in the wild.

Unfortunately, all the hard working people in America have made it possible for these punks to vote to ruin all that we have enjoyed,....including our cars.
ntfday (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Some of you might be interested in this youtube video which asks the question "ARE ELECTRIC CARS REALLY GREEN?" it's a real eye opener.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes vs. the Ozone

Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I'd like to see a comparison using hydroelectric power vice coal. The shoe would be on the other foot.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
Been having some great weather in the Northwest this week. Took the 67 out for a quick ride to grab some coffee. The kid at Starbucks says, I know old cars are bad for the environment, but they sure are cool. Typical millennial. I told the kid that with unregulated factory's belching toxic fumes into the atmosphere my Vette is no threat. Are there still people out there that are blaming old cars for global warming.? Am I being irresponsible by only driving old Chevrolet's.?
So, you seek approval from millennials at Starbucks?
JoeMinnesota (11-03-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One thing I can tell you with 100% certainty-- My old Vette, running 110 octane LEADED fuel, smells much better than a late model catalytic convertor equipped whatever.

As far as the climate change BS- who can say that we are not in the middle of a 1000 year cycle where the planet gets warmer and then cools down? And I'll guarantee that anyone that believes in global warming has never worked on an airport ramp in Michigan in January.

Quick Reply: Corvettes vs. the Ozone