Sponsored by:

Would you restomod an original car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Your question is would I......nope, there are plenty of them out there that a restomod would be an upgrade. Like others have said, it's your car. In my mind I'd be thinking "What if I didn't like it as a restomod, then what? return it to original? Not likely." If you would ever sell it, your market of potential buyers would be significantly smaller.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The issue here, is: What to do with an original condition (or nearly original condition) C3 Corvette...

Although these cars are not "rare", it is rather rare to find one in completely or nearly original condition. If someone owned such a car, should they modify the heck out of it?

The owner may want a modified car, so he/she probably should not have WASTED MONEY purchasing an original car in the first place. They could easily have found a good "mod candidate" for much less money. But maybe they inherited the car. In that case, that owner might consider the benefits of that car to someone who might appreciate it more for its originality, AND realize that selling such a car would bring a premium price because of its condition. From a business perspective, it would be wiser to SELL the 'original' car for the money and then purchase a less expensive mod candidate. The EXCESS funds could then be applied to the mod work on the other car.

Bottom line: It makes NO SENSE (logically or financially) to modify an original-condition C3.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Yon mean like a 100% OEM Yugo?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Hmmm...

I've never heard of a C3 Yugo. What's your point?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:58 PM
gcadby1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The issue here, is: What to do with an original condition (or nearly original condition) C3 Corvette...

Although these cars are not "rare", it is rather rare to find one in completely or nearly original condition. If someone owned such a car, should they modify the heck out of it?

The owner may want a modified car, so he/she probably should not have WASTED MONEY purchasing an original car in the first place. They could easily have found a good "mod candidate" for much less money. But maybe they inherited the car. In that case, that owner might consider the benefits of that car to someone who might appreciate it more for its originality, AND realize that selling such a car would bring a premium price because of its condition. From a business perspective, it would be wiser to SELL the 'original' car for the money and then purchase a less expensive mod candidate. The EXCESS funds could then be applied to the mod work on the other car.

Bottom line: It makes NO SENSE (logically or financially) to modify an original-condition C3.
This better explains what I am trying to determine. Should I sell this car and try and find something that better fits what I would like to do?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:59 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 862 Likes on 418 Posts

It sounds like the mods you are suggesting are things that can be undone later. Keep the original engine and trans and if you decide to sell it on, you can still market it as an original numbers matching car.

Last edited by KingRat; 11-01-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:07 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRat
It sounds like the mods you are suggesting are things that can be undone later. Keep the original engine and trans and if you decide to sell it on, you can still market it as an original numbers matching car.
And like others have said, it's not a rare car. It's already modded some, so go for it. It's missing a lot of stock parts and the paint isn't stock, so it would cost more than the car's worth to bring it back to NCRS stock.

Mike
Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gcadby1
...Should I sell this car and try and find something that better fits what I would like to do?...
That's a personal choice for you. What any of us might do doesn't mean diddly.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

You do you.

Side note, absolutely beautiful car. The paint job is very similar to what my dad's had when I inherited it from him.

Attachment 48354367

Name:  dXzgSPQ.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  1.76 MB
Old 11-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm...

I've never heard of a C3 Yugo. What's your point?
No point at all just thread humor.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

This better explains what I am trying to determine. Should I sell this car and try and find something that better fits what I would like to do?
If you financially can't keep it and also buy a modifiable car, then sell it.

But.....If you have to take a loss by selling it, consider keeping it.

Or........sell it anyway so someone else can keep it original.......THEN buy a car with a decent body and frame that you can enjoy modifying to your heart's desire!!!!!!!

Learning how/doing some or all of the work yourself will allow lots of $$$$$ for fancy modification......

Keep us updated
Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Just picked up a 71 convertible, matching numbers. Stock except for paint color, long hood (I have the old one) and wiper door cover.
I will be the smart *** in this thread; you don't have a numbers matching car as you stated above. Wrong color, wrong wheels, wrong hood, wrong wiper door and I bet after a close look at your car I could come up with several other wrongs.

What you do have is a very good looking Vette and I would say do whatever you want to make it what you want it to be. I would not sell it just to buy something else to Restomod.

Restomod is just a fancy word to generate money back in the day we called that Hot Rodding.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

I already have. But there is still hope for you. Take the engine and trans out and save them.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:34 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
I already have. But there is still hope for you. Take the engine and trans out and save them.
Same here. I kept everything I took out so if somebody is crazy enough to want to get back to original, it is certainly possible.

Also my car was pretty common originally.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by resdoggie
It's not rare. Restomod the **** out of it.

I did, and I have no regrets. I kept the original parts around for a few years, then I realized that I would never ever return the car to "stock", so I sold all the parts. I built my car to my own personal idea of correct, not anyone else's, and I built it without care or concern about resale value.

Do what makes YOU happy!

Old 11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Bottom Line

Ahhhh......makes no sense in YOUR opinion. Fact is one side sees originality as some sort of mandate, the other side believes it perfectly acceptable to stick with originality AND they also believe its perfectly acceptable to mod it. See the difference? I prefer to be less arrogant, and avoid telling people they are illogical to choose to mod an original car. As for value, restomods are bringing lots of money too, and original cars are not the only way to ensure resale value.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 11-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Yes

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

I did, and I have no regrets. I kept the original parts around for a few years, then I realized that I would never ever return the car to "stock", so I sold all the parts. I built my car to my own personal idea of correct, not anyone else's, and I built it without care or concern about resale value.

Do what makes YOU happy!

And your car is one of the most beautiful examples of a chrome bumper car out there, in my opinion. I would pay more to have your car than I would pay for an original.
The following users liked this post:
7t2vette (11-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Would you restomod an original car?

Old 11-01-2017, 07:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Ahhhh......makes no sense in YOUR opinion. Fact is one side sees originality as some sort of mandate, the other side believes it perfectly acceptable to stick with originality AND they also believe its perfectly acceptable to mod it. See the difference? I prefer to be less arrogant, and avoid telling people they are illogical to choose to mod an original car. As for value, restomods are bringing lots of money too, and original cars are not the only way to ensure resale value.
Jeff your thoughts are so very true, you really nail the mark, sad that some take not doing what they tell us we must do ( in their opinion ) as a personal insult resulting in their need for some ranting belittling attack on us.

" you ruined that vette"
No, i made it what to me a perfect c3 is,
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Bought my 72 that was not numbers matching for one reason, moded the heck out of it. It runs and rides much better than when it drove off the assembly line. Do what ever makes you happy
Old 11-01-2017, 10:48 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I kept everything I took out so if somebody is crazy enough to want to get back to original, it is certainly possible.

Also my car was pretty common originally.
There you go. Make it into the Corvette you want. Just save the "original" stuff in case it's important to the next guy.

Quick Reply: Would you restomod an original car?