Sponsored by:

Finishing your project when the chips are down

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Guys, I've had to edit or remove a few posts in this thread, as it seems to give some people the opportunity to sound off on some of their personal issues with other members and its gone too far.

The thread seems like a fun exchange of ideas, but in the interest of leaving it open, lets leave the personal issues out of it, including calling people names like d-bags, arrogant, etc, even if they are unnamed.

Regarding a Sticky, we have actually tried to thin the Sticky herd a bit in recent months. I think this thread is better served in the General Discussion area.
That's reasonable!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
the most important thing in life is family,
Way more important than any car project,
In my world a real man places his family and their needs first....
When my kids were little and I tried to sneak in some quality shop time I would many times be interrupted by them out there and I would make an effort to make a little time for them when I was trying to gain some ground on my project. Now they are grown and gone, they live hours away and I rarely see them now. Oh I have my shop time now, but its so quiet. The shop, the house, the whole place is too quiet. What I would give to have them bugging me now.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by jr73
When my kids were little and I tried to sneak in some quality shop time I would many times be interrupted by them out there and I would make an effort to make a little time for them when I was trying to gain some ground on my project. Now they are grown and gone, they live hours away and I rarely see them now. Oh I have my shop time now, but its so quiet. The shop, the house, the whole place is too quiet. What I would give to have them bugging me now.
As I tell my wife...."I can FIX that!"

Bring the grandkids over for 24-48 hours/meet them halfway between their home and yours. Your adult kids will love you for giving them a 24 hour break/you won't accomplish a thing in your shop/it will be very noisy/but now you know how to handle it...put some greasy parts in the soaker...paint some parts that you already blasted---they can be drying while you are playing.....get out there and have fun with them!

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
to me the most important thing in life is family,
Way more important than any car project,
In my world a real man places his family and their needs first....
Originally Posted by jr73
When my kids were little and I tried to sneak in some quality shop time I would many times be interrupted by them out there and I would make an effort to make a little time for them when I was trying to gain some ground on my project.
For us, the kids & projects went hand in hand. The kids have always helped with the cars, cleaning, sanding, taking things apart & putting them together, and shining them up at the car shows. They practically grew up in the garage!
Of the hundreds of pics of them & cars.... a couple of my favorites...

The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 11:01 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Default DUB, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your reply to another thread.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

All I am going to write is that when a person takes on a restoration...regardless of the level of it....it takes time...and knowing that for many of you...this is your first one. So hopefully those of you do not obsess on the length of time it takes. Simply because there is not trophy out there that goes to the one who does it the quickest and the cheapest. But I think that there are trophies put there that are given to those who did it the BEST...(if a person is into that sorta thing).

What is GREAT about doing these projects and not paying someone to do it is that you now have a level of understanding that those who don't do it could never understand. And with that....you knowledge on how 'things' work is greatly amplified.

SO...the next one you get into ( if a person chooses to do another)...may go much faster because you might be able to 'multi-task' and have a few different things going on all at the same time...because you previously learned what to do on the first car.

DUB

Quick Reply: Finishing your project when the chips are down