Sponsored by:

1971 coupe Irma drown

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 PM
scott2173
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1971 coupe Irma drown

Ok well this is the worst post ever but it has to be done.
My 71 numbers matching coupe went under in Irma and there is no way I can bring it back I just cant afford it .
I have no idea what its worth in its present state but it has to be worth something to someone if nothing else for the parts.
So I cant post it for sale on here without a price so could you help me out with a idea of what to sell it for ?
I'm going to sell the whole car I'm not going to part it out.
It is a 350 auto with air
Thanks in advance
Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Ugh, man I am so sorry to hear this, I know it must be a heartbreak for you.

In times like this I always try to maintain a bit of perspective. In the end, it is a thing, and things can be replaced. I hope very much that your insurance company is going to take care of you so that you can do just that.

As for selling this one, some idea of the current condition would probably help the community figure it out. Pictures would go a long way.

Again, I am really sorry that such a thing happened to you. Chin up!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Was it covered in salt water? For how long? If your insurance company is coming thru with a reasonable amount for it, Kiss it goodbye and go looking for another. If they aren't, don't buy insurance from them anymore.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:02 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your car. I hope the insurance treats you well. Let us know if you decide to buy another car
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

So sorry to see this post. I remember seeing it posted right after the storm, OP said he HAD no insurance on it. He said it was 8 inches under (probably for at least a few days, and yes, most likely salty water).
I can see the hassle of parting, packing, & shipping, so selling it off as a whole parts car would seem to be the better option for him. The problem in determining what it`s worth is not knowing how much of it is salvageable, and how much is not.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I am confused. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I know the interior is shot, i get that.
If the car was covered in salt water, why can't you flush it out?
Drive the car into a fresh water pond or something similar over and over.

Hose it off and let it dry out. Won't that solve the problem?
I know it sounds crazy, but would that work?
I would think the most you would need is a wiring harness and a new interior.
drain the engine of all fluids and refill them.

Up here, the cars are exposed to salt every winter, we wash it off the best we can and even coat the frames with oil.

Just curious, maybe someone can tell me what salt water does to a car that can't be fixed.

Ken
Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I just read this, a lot of work, but not much cost.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...age-car-repair
Old 11-03-2017, 02:06 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

do what you can. get the engine, carb, trans, rear drained. buy a cheap electric fuel pump and pump the gas tank empty. pull the plugs. buy a cheap autozone starter throw it on and get engine spinning. you lost the interior and gauge cluster. the rest may well be salvageable. if not, at least it is worth more as a running flood car than a flood car still full of salt water. what did you consider car worth in pre-flood condition. cuz there are 8k 71's and there are 48k 71's...

Last edited by derekderek; 11-03-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 PM
scott2173
Instructor

Ok going to try and give some answers to everyone that posted at once
I will post pictures of it tomorrow "its sickening"
Insurance no wasn't any "I already know ok don't tell me again please"
I figure the body and hard parts are still good "frame, front end, engine, trans, rear-end. I have washed ALOT of the salt out and off of every bit I can get to.
I put oil in the cylinders and turned it by hand and drained the oil and filter and added new oil and filter.
it was under water I was told for about 7 hours "crazy person stayed here"
can it be fixed ? I'm sure it can but with the cost of 1 new car for my wife whos car also drown and the roof repairs and everything in general I just cant afford to fix it.
What was it worth before it drown ? To me it was priceless it is a numbers matching driver car I drove it from Orlando to Cleveland and back from Cleveland to Key West never had a problem.
Thanks for your reply's

Last edited by scott2173; 11-03-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Salt water corrodes EVERYTHING. If under water, it got into every component and accessory in the vehicle. Most insurance companies just scrap the car out. Most [reputable] rebuilders will not touch them.

If the OP had no insurance on it (???), his best bet would be to IMMEDIATELY strip the body off the car and do whatever possible to flush all salt out of the birdcage and frame. But, I'm afraid by the time he got done refurbishing a salt-flooded vehicle, it would cost him about what it is worth when done.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 11-03-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Post some picks and list a price. The salt water doesn't bother me. I may just come and get it. I was in South Florida just after Irma. In the Keys actually, delivering Water and Gatorade, rubber gloves and stuff. Made it to the Duck Key and Marathon area.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 PM
scott2173
Instructor

Old 11-04-2017, 09:19 PM
derekderek
Race Director

after you sell it at a loss, will you be able to afford to replace it? then keep it. preserve what you can. look around for a 74 rusty bomb to strip all the stuff you cant afford new. still mech tach, still turbo 400. keep your trans to rebuild later. a rough interior that didn't fail the float test will get you through for the time being. 2-3 years from now you will be able to start putting it right.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

What a shame....Looked like it was a really nice 71 before the flood...I can't help on value....I do know someone that might be interested...He parts out quite a few C3's. He name is Glenn....Easiest way to contact him is thru ebay....His user name is Glenn454, he is located in Buford Ga.

Good luck...Hope things get back to normal for you and yours ASAP.
Brian
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

The car is 100% fixable. just start removing every part of the interior and clean it all out. That also goes for the exterior. You might have to replace a part here or there, but in no way shape or form should that car be parted out. You guys who think so are freaking crazy.
Some of you out there just give up to easy.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:33 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Originally Posted by scrappy76
The car is 100% fixable. just start removing every part of the interior and clean it all out. That also goes for the exterior. You might have to replace a part here or there, but in no way shape or form should that car be parted out. You guys who think so are freaking crazy.
Some of you out there just give up to easy.
nope. it is only about 90% fixable. seat foam, gauges, radio, alternator. not fixable. there will be more, but if OP gives up on this car he will probably never get another and will regret it forever. Stop whining and fix your car, Scott!

Last edited by derekderek; 11-05-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you put a price on it yet?
The following users liked this post:
rcsbls2 (06-06-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 coupe Irma drown

Old 11-05-2017, 09:38 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i have been involved in getting things straightened out after a boat has been sunk ( in salt water ) and raised , it is a time consuming and very difficult thing to do. the key to success is almost nonstop work as soon as its raised. not a day or week or month later. under ideal circumstances its a massive undertaking and i have to believe a car would be a lot harder to deal with than a boat. the circumstances the op is dealing with is about as difficult as it gets , and i have to believe that as precious as his vette is to him , in the grand scheme of things its not in the top 10 of his priorities right now. lets assume he does get it straightened out after a massive amount of time , money and some very hard labor.....when it comes time to sell or trade due to life circumstances how many of the members here would be willing to pay top dollar for it . or even buy it for that matter. i think its time to put this in perspective , it would be a huge and costly undertaking for a car that would be tainted forever.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The ONLY advantage to the owner fixing that car would be that the title would be clear and not have the word SALVAGED on it. So, a buyer would have no way of knowing that the thing had been sunk in saltwater.

But, for those that think just fixing the interior will get that job done, forget it. Every metal part under the dash will be corroded. The radio will be toast, as all the metal on the circuit boards is shot. People just have no idea how much damage saltwater can do. This will be a COMPLETE GUT and clean project.

I'd like to know what insurance the OP carried that would not cover the loss....and why he chose to go that way. Save money??? Not.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:13 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The only way it gets a salvage title is if an insurance company totals it, since he had no insurance on it, that's not relevant.

Quick Reply: 1971 coupe Irma drown