Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic clutch fork clearance problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Yeah, that's correct about the Mcleod clutch. I went from a Hays to the Mcleod RST dual disc and the Mcleod disengages sooner.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Yeah, that's correct about the Mcleod clutch. I went from a Hays to the Mcleod RST dual disc and the Mcleod disengages sooner.
so whats your disengagement point.? Since truck slaves will only push little over 1 inch.and fork will not go any further after i fixed the clearance problem.should we blame it on luk which is supposed to be oem?i have been reading about luk clutches requiere a longer pivot ball but i think that does not have anything to do with a hydraulic set up
Old 11-09-2017, 06:53 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

That's not how a hydraulic clutch works. The slight pressure on the TB is so it self-adjusts.
If your in my age group then you would have seem plenty of hydraulic clutch’s with adjustment and a return spring

Last edited by bfit; 11-09-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 AM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by bfit
If your in my age group then you would have seem plenty of hydraulic clutch’s with adjustment and a return spring
Ok, let me re-phrase: It's not how the setup was for the cars/trucks we are using the master/slave cylinder from.

Edit: But thinking back I don't think I've ever seen a hydraulic clutch setup with a return spring. You have any examples of this setup?

Last edited by zwede; 11-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:03 PM
bfit
Pro

Ok, let me re-phrase: It's not how the setup was for the cars/trucks we are using the master/slave cylinder from.

Edit: But thinking back I don't think I've ever seen a hydraulic clutch setup with a return spring. You have any examples of this setup?
Holden of the 60`s and 70 `s
Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Holden of the 60`s and 70 `s
Well, I can't say I've ever worked on any of those.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by Evren Erdogan
so whats your disengagement point.? Since truck slaves will only push little over 1 inch.and fork will not go any further after i fixed the clearance problem.should we blame it on luk which is supposed to be oem?i have been reading about luk clutches requiere a longer pivot ball but i think that does not have anything to do with a hydraulic set up
I'd say mine disengages about 1/3 from the floor.

But I don't know what setup you ended up with. Are you still using a regular GM fork or a C3 fork? What was your clearance fix?

And there are at least two truck slaves with different travel. I'm using the Chevy S10 slave cylinder. The early (~1984) version has a 0.94" bore and less travel than the later (~1989) one with a 0.807" bore. I tried both, think I ended up with the later version.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:54 AM
bfit
Pro

I tried a Camaro stile throw out fork in my c3 , waste of time that was.
Then went back to a vette fork and that still hits the firewall when disengaged, with the standard chev pivot .
I fitted an aftermarket adjustable pivot and made enough room , so that every thing works with out hitting,
I'm running a tremec 6 speed magnum. next time it come, I`ll look at a late model hydraulic throw out bearing set up.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Then went back to a vette fork and that still hits the firewall when disengaged, with the standard chev pivot .
I fitted an aftermarket adjustable pivot and made enough room , so that every thing works with out hitting,
I'm running a tremec 6 speed magnum. next time it come, I`ll look at a late model hydraulic throw out bearing set up.
i grinded about half and inch of the classic gm fork and solved the problem with clearance and yes if i used a longer pivot ball i would not need to grind it but it was easier .the fork is preety strong for 12 bucks pioneer brand vs stock( 84 dolars )which i also bought but i ll return it since i think the problems is that the luk clutch kit requieres more travel to disengage .tonight i ll remove the pedal stop and get a drop more travel from the master cylinder.since i made the rod adjustable.i even went to a truck form and ask a few questions lol everyone thinks that i own a truck haha

Last edited by Evren Erdogan; 11-10-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 AM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

guess what i saved money for tremec 5 speed and in a sudden i fell in love with whining noise of rock chrucher muncie m22 and bought it brandnew lol i just cant wait to hear it..

Last edited by Evren Erdogan; 11-10-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 AM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

I'd say mine disengages about 1/3 from the floor.

But I don't know what setup you ended up with. Are you still using a regular GM fork or a C3 fork? What was your clearance fix?

And there are at least two truck slaves with different travel. I'm using the Chevy S10 slave cylinder. The early (~1984) version has a 0.94" bore and less travel than the later (~1989) one with a 0.807" bore. I tried both, think I ended up with the later version.
i used dorman 83 to 91 and the bore size is 0.813 man u are a great help.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:03 AM
bfit
Pro

today i made an adjustable push rod for the slave and bleed it again its %100 bled .and push rod moved 1.1/8 " exactly every time and wheels turn by one hand in gear it disengages about few cm before the master bottoms out.i am on break now as i got dehydrated after 6 hours of work under the car.clutch kit is luk brand .i just learnt mcleod's kit disengages much sooner.i dont know why it takes so much travel to disengage maybe i just gave the answer
what type of pressure plate do you have .
Diaphragm-spring , centre pivot , over centre ( Weight assist )
Old 11-13-2017, 03:23 AM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

what type of pressure plate do you have .
Diaphragm-spring , centre pivot , over centre ( Weight assist )

LuK 04-020 Clutch Kit
just the basic single disk

https://youtu.be/EjxXyQ6O33Y

.here it is a fresh video. It starts disengaging at 00.11 and then i push even more wheels spin free but that friction noise

Last edited by Evren Erdogan; 11-13-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 AM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Ohh wow thats a great picture i like how the bleed screw is positioned right there i had to dismount the slave to bleed air .what was wrong with the novaks ? I have never had a manual fork .i see the angles of the original fork is opposite to what i have .
that pic helped .i welded a support arm for the zbar pivotball hole(1/2 _13 bolt) so 3 bolts total and no more flex
https://youtu.be/EjxXyQ6O33Y

Last edited by Evren Erdogan; 11-13-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic clutch fork clearance problem