Sponsored by:

Married guy shop vs. Single guy shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
If I never married, I`d probably not have any of the stuff I have now. I`d most likely still be out on the highway, living in a Kenworth.

Wow, I had to stop and think about that. You would be like a gypsy, it aint for everybody but I'll bet some people do it. I dont think I'd like it.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I understood what you meant,
Its all about what is most important to a person, honest important not some dbag fake ****,

i used this as a chance to praise tina,
Because while i had a lot of "stuff" when i had a club i had very little "life"
It was a blast at times but something was missing,

Now i have way more stuff but far more important to me i have "life" and no feeling something is missing,

However,

I cant help but get a feeling in your posts you feel like you are missing out and envious of single guys,
It would seem no other reason to make such a thread,

I always say people shouldnt settle in any facet of life, in cars, build it, make it what you want,

If you feel you cant do as you want when you want...fix it.

Lifes too short to settle.

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-06-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:49 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
My single guy shop would be a 50 X 100 with a 1500 sq ft apartment built inside of that.
And, there is the brother I never had. I have said the same thing many times.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by jr73
Wow, I had to stop and think about that. You would be like a gypsy, it aint for everybody but I'll bet some people do it. I dont think I'd like it.
EXACTLY like a gypsy. Did it for several years! I had a pickup truck slide-in camper (but no pick up truck!) parked at a truck terminal that was my base, in Florida. I had a Florida, California, and Michigan driver`s license all at the same time.... can`t do that anymore!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

The biggest difference for me was having kids. Not being married or not. When the kids were gone, we had more disposable income, my garage toys became more expensive. I've always had stuff to work on, just not multiple toys. That's just life.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I've been enjoying this thread. Most posters are here to humblebrag about their wives. I'm no different. We've been together since college, best friends then and now. Maybe I'd have a classic car today if we'd never met. Maybe I'd be driving a Pontiac Solstice if we hadn't had kids. Maybe I'd be living in an apartment, or on a ship, or in my own hangar next to Dirk Pitt's at Washington National Airport. I doubt my life would be better, though.

She stuck with me through several long road-trips in a Corvair, drove across the country with me in a convertible Sunfire, and is as much of a car-guy as I am. She planned a trip for us specifically so I could drive an Alfa Romeo over the Stelvio Pass in Italy.

The C3 was HER dream-car, before she even met me. We are in a place now that we can easily afford a toy car or two. She found her '79, and drives it every chance she gets. It's because of her that I found this forum. I don't feel like I've had to compromise with the shop, now that I have a fleet of C3s to maintain.

I have single, car-guy friends who don't have garages. They may have more "freedom", but I don't envy them. My wife is a willing and enabling accomplice when it comes to spending stoopid money on cars.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bikespace; 11-06-2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Stelvio Pass! And, you know, actually answering the OP's question sorta.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 PM
jr73
Drifting

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I understood what you meant,
Its all about what is most important to a person, honest important not some dbag fake ****,

However,

I cant help but get a feeling in your posts you feel like you are missing out and envious of single guys,
It would seem no other reason to make such a thread,
Well Bats it actually was just a daydream thread to see how a guys dream shop would be if there were no limits from other responsibilities and need to compromise with your spouse. Ya I do envy the bachelor in the respect that you are only limited by your wallet. BUT Bats you are very perceptive in fact I didn't even realize that I felt I was missing out but now that I think of it you're kinda right. For the record my bride never complains about my cars or the amount of time I spend in my shop. I keep the spending in check on my own using common sense. The premise of this thread again is how would your shop be different?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:07 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Well, you are not going to believe this, but...

Well, you are not going to believe this, but my better half actually got me into Corvettes when I retired about 10 years ago. I asked my wife then (in a weak moment, I guess) what had she always wanted that we had never gotten and she said she wanted a Corvette! I said "a what?" a "Corvette???", "you can not even get off the paved road in a Corvette!" So, now fast forward to today and 9 Corvettes later and members of 4 Corvette Clubs, I am wondering why we did not do Corvettes sooner! But who knows why anything happens like it does.

She also installs windshields:

(Been married a very long time, I am fortunate).
(And this is of course a "man cave" shop, not organized by any female, which I guess is obvious, LOL's!)

Last edited by 20mercury; 11-07-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:08 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Well Bats it actually was just a daydream thread to see how a guys dream shop would be if there were no limits from other responsibilities and need to compromise with your spouse. Ya I do envy the bachelor in the respect that you are only limited by your wallet. BUT Bats you are very perceptive in fact I didn't even realize that I felt I was missing out but now that I think of it you're kinda right. For the record my bride never complains about my cars or the amount of time I spend in my shop. I keep the spending in check on my own using common sense. The premise of this thread again is how would your shop be different?
Perhaps i was insightful but in an askewed way,
i actually missed your original question big time,

I did first think you were daydreaming but about a single guys lifes, and how cool it would be to be your own boss, do as you please and be a single guy, seems from replies others got that same jist i did.

So your original question im now grasping is more something like,

"If you never married, and were single now and had no responsablities or compromises that come with a wife and family lets hear you describe your dream shop"

Not all marriages demand compromise, every marriage isnt always just added limits of spending and responsibility to the man, ( some sadly are, a buddy has 3 such failed marriages under his belt )
Finding the right partner is the key,
Now he lives in a shed in back of a car lot , and is a 50 something lot boy at a buy here car place,
But always says, "this is just temporary"

The truth for me is the dream shop is the same for me, we moved a couple years back, and that took a toll on my nerves, sure i am overjoyed with the place but figuring out the shop is like me building the 69 and you likely know how i flip flop, so no hurries,

The difference is with tina it is far more likely to happen than without her,

While i realize some guys who did the family life route had to wait until later in life after kids are grown to buy their own toys and only as the wife saw fit, or the very least played on tight budgets,
That wasnt the path i choose,

In my case understand while i am a gear head and do love car stuff, im far more multi facted than one small hobby, yeah, for me the car thing is just a hobby not my entire life,
i am too complexed to simply be only a "car guy"

Yikes...way off your question, but a great thread,

Tina just said, does this make you wanna get on the shop?
I said no, i got some other things i need to do first...lol...i am a mess

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-07-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:49 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

A few yrs ago, due to the demise of my bride of 31 yrs, I did become a batchelor. It sucked! No one to go to dinner with, talk with, sleep with. Friends can't full fill the loss of a life partner. She never told me no, or you can't do this or that on the vette project.But, I did have to exercise some restraint, after all, I'm blue collar. I immersed myself in finishing my Corvette, that helped, kept me busy. My kids are all over the country, living there own lives. I was going to relocate to Flagstaff and build a house with a huge shop. I was planning it all out in my head.
Then I met Patty. We married last year in Maui.
Yup could have had the coolest shop in 1 of the nicest places I could think of to live. But I traded it in for the love of the greatest woman on earth!
The following users liked this post:
jr73 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:27 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

If not for my wife, my only enthusiast car would be a ‘71 Corvette. She is responsible for us having a BMW 2002, TR6, ‘78 Firebird, Boxster S, ‘72 Pontiac LeMans and the race car.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

This is always a good question about the shops. I have always had a modest 2 story house with a 2 car garage. Nothing big just a standard 2 car garage. I was able to get a 2 post lift in my old house and that was great. I thought I was in heaven. Have done a ton of work on my cars and many others in there. That being said my personal life was suffereing. Not because of cars we were just going in different directions. She wanted a big career now that the kids were getting older and immersed herself in work. She pretty much left the family. She was under the same roof but not here. The cars were never her thing. So I packed it in and left. Soon after I met another girl, not a car girl though. It did not matter she was the one. We had a lot in common and she supported my cars. We married last year in Key West, have to say one of the best weeks of my life. Back to the garage I still have a modest 2 car garage now with a 4 post lift. She was going to let me expand this a lot, would have cost about 35K and she was OK with it. I said no. I do not need that. So instead I got another car to build, the Cobra! I would like a little more room but if I was single I would not have my great personal life I now have. So its not the size of the shop or whats in it, I guess if it is what you are happy with. My brother in law has a 60X80 shop and I don't think he is any happier than me. I like my life and my "shop" and my wife.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So if things were different you would have a smaller shop?
Yep a smaller shop. I could never a ford what I have for a shop. We built the one I have together. Started out 40X60 then we talked about it and it became 100X50 then before placing the order she said make sure it's big enough we don't have to add to it. Then it went to 100x64. SO without the encouragement it would have been 40x60 with a bunch of additions.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:25 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

We have twins and by the time we raised them and got them started in life there was not enough time or money to get a 'Vette until I was almost 50. I would have loved to have gotten my "Vette earlier in life, but I would not trade a day with my kids for any car, so it is all good.
Mary has always been my best friend and supported me through the countless hours and visa bills it took to build "LARRY". The only thing she asked is that it had side pipes and a "bumpy cam". We put side pipes on it when we built it, and last fall I drove out to South Dakota and put in her bumpy cam. She had to miss a few of the last shows because of health reasons, but I am hoping next year we can do a bunch of them. She really likes to talk to people and hear the stories behind their cars.
I guess if I were single I might have gotten my car earlier, but it would not have had anyone to share it with and that is where the real fun is.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152278796@N06/, on Flickr
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM
jr73
Drifting

You know, I was going somewhere else with this thread but instead got all these cool stories about your great wives. There are a lot of keepers here. Women who unselfishly support you guys, this is pretty cool.
Guys like, Bats, resdoggie, rastafford, oldgto, 540vette, bikespace, 20merc, sunstroked, rcread, gordonm, indian creek, and Brent you all have some excellent wives. Good for you.
The following 5 users liked this post by jr73:
20mercury (11-08-2017), brent319 (11-07-2017), Gordonm (11-08-2017), oldgto (11-07-2017), rastafford3164 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

You know, I was going somewhere else with this thread but instead got all these cool stories about your great wives. There are a lot of keepers here. Women who unselfishly support you guys, this is pretty cool.
Guys like, Bats, resdoggie, rastafford, oldgto, 540vette, bikespace, 20merc, sunstroked, rcread, gordonm, indian creek, and Brent you all have some excellent wives. Good for you.
Ty for the kindness, i feel like a bunch of cats talking at a cruise, i love tge camaraderie,

I will answer your original question
"my dream shop"
Just keep in mind for me married or not doesnt really effect it besides it being easier with tina,

But a side step since not all wives are supportive,

My buddy who lives in a shed, when he was married to number 3,
knowing his dream car was a vette i offered him either my 86 or 76,
Dirt cheap, buddy price for good drivers,
Make payments, paid off its yours,

He was ready to jump his wife told him no F,ing way,
He was not allowed to own a vette and was no longer allowed to talk to me because i stirred this pot,

She based this on saying he wouldn't fit in a vette, and would look stupid in one according to her,
He was about 5'9" 260 ibs,

The wife, no kidding was 6' and well over 450 lbs, im a big sasquach and she made me look small, after they divorced when he desided that was better than getting a 3rd job for her needs, he started talking to me again,

My dream shop,
About 2.5 car size,
I would like having a small lift, I'm not so limber, even the weird metal frame drive ons that tilt, no power would be okay,
Ac would be nice,
The rest i have.....

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-08-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. The way I read it made me think that you were regretting your decision to marry. I am sorry for any confusion.

If I were single and had all my money? Sure, 15 bay garage underneath a 1500sq foot living space on a lot of acreage with a private track =). Actually I am not sure if 15 bays would be enough. I could have bought a LOT of stuff if I didn't have a wife and 2 kids but then again, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Get notified of new replies

To Married guy shop vs. Single guy shop

Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 AM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Single, I would have a lot more toys and a smaller house. Married, I still have a 3-1/2 car garage w/ tools and a 30x40 barn with cars, motorcycle tools, welders etc. My wife isn’t a big fan of my Vette or the amount of time I have spent on it. But, she accepts it. Left to my own devices, I would have more toys, blown money on racing and probably live in a camper next to my barn! She has helped me be a well rounded person and I have developed many other areas of interest because of her. Also we raised 4 boys, so that was money and time intensive. I do have a great family, home, yard and life experience because of her. I will add that she enjoyed going to motocross races with me and was supportive of that, but injuries and age stopped that venture. I tell her if I die, she needs to marry again or companionship. If she dies, I will move into the workshop with my dog and visit my boys and grand kids for company. She said she would expect nothing less!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
Yep a smaller shop. I could never a ford what I have for a shop. We built the one I have together. Started out 40X60 then we talked about it and it became 100X50 then before placing the order she said make sure it's big enough we don't have to add to it. Then it went to 100x64. SO without the encouragement it would have been 40x60 with a bunch of additions.

Not getting off that easy I need to see what this 46 X 100 shop looks like.
The following users liked this post:
jr73 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have always liked this shop, simple and looks good.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Married guy shop vs. Single guy shop