WTF is up with my gas hole???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default WTF is up with my gas hole???

On my 69, we replaced my gas tank, and when we installed it as per the manual, the filler hole is not centered under the filler lid, it is pretty far to the back of the lid opening. I can still get the cap off and on, so I am thinking to leave it as it is. When we try to shim it up so it is more centered, there would be a few gallons I could not use and the gas gauge would not read correctly. It seems that the lip where the top and bottom of the tank are put together is hitting the body. We did compare the old tank to the new tank and they look identical. Honestly, I did not take a pic of the placement before, and I really do not remember what it looked like, so I am looking for some help. I did find and read a thread on this issue, but it did not seem to come to and definite conclusion. Please see the pic and let me know your thoughts. In my dimmest of memories, I kind of think it was kind of like this before, but I would like to hear from you.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bart K; 03-12-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

you gas tank is not aligned property on the frame.

Last edited by Mr D.; 11-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bart K (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr D.
you gas tank is not aligned property on the frame.

Any details of what needs to be done to fix the issue? I mean I am sure you will tell me to align the tank properly, but if you have any detail on that, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Loosen the straps and push it forward. C3s are not an exact science and most things have adjustments.
Bart K (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

As Zwede stated you need to loosen or disconnect the straps and reposition the tank (rotate) so it sets correctly on the frame and cross member.
Bart K (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zwede
Loosen the straps and push it forward. C3s are not an exact science and most things have adjustments.

We did try that, but it will not go any further forward. Next time I am there we will give it another try. Would anyone be willing to take a pic of under your filler lid and attach it on this thread so we can see what "correct" looks like????

Last edited by Bart K; 11-06-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr D.
As Zwede stated you need to loosen or disconnect the straps and reposition the tank (rotate) so it sets correctly on the frame and cross member.

Ok, we will take another look. So does that lip fit above the cross member and under the body? We put some shims between the gas tank and the straps and we can get the filler hole centered, but I do not want to leave the shims in place. From what you guys are saying, it should fit properly without any shimming. So we will take another look.

Last edited by Bart K; 11-06-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bk,
There's a certain place the tank needs to be seated on the rear crossmember and the tank support in order for the filler neck to be centered in the opening in the deck.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-06-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alan 71:
Bart K (11-06-2017), PHIL 68 (03-13-2018), Primoz (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bk,
There's a certain place the tank needs to be seated on the rear crossmember and the tank crossmember in order for the filler neck to be centered in the opening in the deck.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan, the pictures are invaluable!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:00 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Alan is correct. Your tank in the pic is not only sitting too far rearward but is slightly to the left of center. You can also move it side to side slightly to center it with the straps loose.
Bart K (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Alan is correct. Your tank in the pic is not only sitting too far rearward but is slightly to the left of center. You can also move it side to side slightly to center it with the straps loose.

Thanks Grant, much appreciated!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

On my '72 C3, I had a similar issue. I ultimately found out that someone sealed up the vent ports on the tank AND left a sealed gas cap on the tank. So the fuel pump sucked in the tank and deformed it badly due to the vacuum it created. Would never have thought this possible, but it did happen. I posted photos of this in another thread ("what did you do to your C3 today" thread, I think).

I was able to re-shape the tank to somewhat normal and re-installed it. The cap is now centered properly.

So take a look at your setup and make sure yours isn't messed up like mine was. Some PO's have no business working on cars.
Bart K (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chapter2
On my '72 C3, I had a similar issue. I ultimately found out that someone sealed up the vent ports on the tank AND left a sealed gas cap on the tank. So the fuel pump sucked in the tank and deformed it badly due to the vacuum it created. Would never have thought this possible, but it did happen. I posted photos of this in another thread ("what did you do to your C3 today" thread, I think).

I was able to re-shape the tank to somewhat normal and re-installed it. The cap is now centered properly.

So take a look at your setup and make sure yours isn't messed up like mine was. Some PO's have no business working on cars.

I appreciate that Chapter 2. The fuel tank is brand new. We have put some gas in the tank, but the car has not been run yet, so I am not thinking we have a deformed tank, but probably just slightly out of alignment. We will check it and see how it goes!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have another request for you 69 owners if you would be willing. I would like the measurement from the rear window to the middle of the fill hole, and also a measurement from the rearward edge of the rear deck to the middle of the fill hole. If someone has a tank out, I would like the measurement from the rear of the tank to the back of the filler neck and from the front of the tank to the front of the filler neck.

I am trying to determine if any body work was done that may have created this situation, or if I have a defective new tank. I have a call in to my buddy Carl to see if he still has the old tank.....this is a frickin' nightmare.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

69 coupe
from the lower rear glass to the center of the fill hole - 26"
from the center of the fill hole to the rear deck lip edge - 19 5/8"
Bart K (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:37 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I was going to say, in jest, take the body off and move it to where the fill hole is. But it looks like you're worried that that may have already happened with where the fill hole was.

Last edited by derekderek; 03-13-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BK,
How about a couple of photos of the bottom of the tank's position on the rear crossmember and tank support bracket.
Isn't it likely that that's causing your tank filler neck/hole misalignment?
Regards,
Alan

1-1/8" to straight edge held against forward vertical wall of tank.

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-13-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Bart K (03-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To WTF is up with my gas hole???

Old 03-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
69 coupe
from the lower rear glass to the center of the fill hole - 26"
from the center of the fill hole to the rear deck lip edge - 19 5/8"

Thanks for taking the time to take the measurements CanadaGrant, much appreciated!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by derekderek
I was going to say, in jest, take the body off and move it to where the fill hole is. But it looks like you're worried that that may have already happened with where the fill hole was.
I had written a long response here, but for some reason it all disappeared. I have the car at a professional shop and they have the tank out. Tom (the guy overseeing the work on my car) says to get the tank in where it was in the picture in the first post in this thread, the straps were extended and the lip of the tank is up against the battery box. It looks like it needs to go forward another inch, but there is nowhere to go. Tom says they can get the filler neck close to centered by shimming up the rear of the tank, but that is not right and would probably mess with the accuracy of the gas gauge, and I do not want that.

We will get to the bottom of it, and when we do, I will be sure to share the problem and the fix with you all.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi BK,
How about a couple of photos of the bottom of the tank's position on the rear crossmember and tank support bracket.
Isn't it likely that that's causing your tank filler neck/hole misalignment?
Regards,
Alan

1-1/8" to straight edge held against forward vertical wall of tank.

Thanks Alan! Tom, if you are reading this, would you please take a few pics and email then to me and I will upload to this thread? There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, and maybe they can help us solve this issue.

Quick Reply: WTF is up with my gas hole???