C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my first Corvette! What do you think of my to-do list?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:40 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Good to see another white bubble-window C3 with glass T-tops in Virginia! I hope you are able to fix the safety items quickly and enjoy some fall driving before the weather turns.

Please check the date codes on your tires.

Try replacing the idler arm while you are at it. The Moog part is K6100.

I didn't see Parking Brake listed. Does your's actually work? Huzzah to you if it does. Otherwise, it will need to hold the car while in drive, and the light on the dash will need to function, to pass Virginia state inspection (unless you go the Antique Plate route, in which case it's still a good idea!).

Those are not the original seats, but are a good upgrade. If you don't need the power seat function, you may be able to remount them for more headroom.

Welcome to the forum, and please post more pictures!

More pictures will be on the way! I believe the idler arm is part of the kit i will be ordering, but I will double check! I also have yet to check the parking brake. This is all good stuff that will be going on that to-do list lol!
I am going to go the antique plate route since I dont technically have exhaust yet (just some super short pipes) and wont be able to get my side pipes until at least tax season. On the seats, I dont need or want the power option, so I might try remounting if its not too bad.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
I got my '69 last year about this time and really didn't use it much before winter set in.

Hindsight being clear think I should have only concentrated on the bare minimum to get it running and pass a NY State inspection. After a season of running around and 1500-1600 miles the list has changed and so have my priorities. So, I'd say make it safe and drive it a bit first.

Then use it to go rob a bank! You'll need the $$
From everything I have seen, the bank robbery is totally necessary
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Gregg
More pictures will be on the way! I believe the idler arm is part of the kit i will be ordering, but I will double check! I also have yet to check the parking brake. This is all good stuff that will be going on that to-do list lol!
I am going to go the antique plate route since I dont technically have exhaust yet (just some super short pipes) and wont be able to get my side pipes until at least tax season. On the seats, I dont need or want the power option, so I might try remounting if its not too bad.
Sounds like a plan. Make it safe, and drive it before the snow flies! I think you got that advice several times already.

The '79-'82 clamshell seats (which you have) are much more comfortable than the standard '78 seats, so I'd consider selling the power parts and remounting them, or swapping for a non-power set of clamshells. A PO did you half of a favor.

Do your interior and exterior colors match your trim tag (in the driver doorframe)? Its not a bad thing if they don't, just another piece of the puzzle. I use this site as a reference. http://corvettec3.ca/interior.htm

Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
VirginiaVette78 (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 04:59 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Sounds like a plan. Make it safe, and drive it before the snow flies! I think you got that advice several times already.

The '79-'82 clamshell seats (which you have) are much more comfortable than the standard '78 seats, so I'd consider selling the power parts and remounting them, or swapping for a non-power set of clamshells. A PO did you half of a favor.

Do your interior and exterior colors match your trim tag (in the driver doorframe)? Its not a bad thing if they don't, just another piece of the puzzle. I use this site as a reference. http://corvettec3.ca/interior.htm

Best of luck!
Yeah I would love to be able to swap out the power internals for a manual set with using the same seat. Is that something very difficult to do? I need to be able to move the seat forward/back though for the wife.
As far as the colors, the interior colors match (yay black) but the exterior was originally black. Surprisingly, they did a pretty good job with a paint because i only found 2 areas that were not 100% covered. I think eventually i might bring her back to the originally black beauty, but thats so far down my checklist right now that its just a pipe dream.

What a great response from everyone so far! I have gotten amazing advice about what to change/look out for/add to my list. So far - Corvette community gets an A+ ! Now I just hope that someone can answer my questions when im half way through an install and get stuck haha
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Gregg
Yeah I would love to be able to swap out the power internals for a manual set with using the same seat. Is that something very difficult to do? I need to be able to move the seat forward/back though for the wife.
As far as the colors, the interior colors match (yay black) but the exterior was originally black. Surprisingly, they did a pretty good job with a paint because i only found 2 areas that were not 100% covered. I think eventually i might bring her back to the originally black beauty, but thats so far down my checklist right now that its just a pipe dream.

What a great response from everyone so far! I have gotten amazing advice about what to change/look out for/add to my list. So far - Corvette community gets an A+ ! Now I just hope that someone can answer my questions when im half way through an install and get stuck haha
I don't have power seats myself, but for a first cut, you may want to try taking the passenger seat out and putting it in the driver position. You may need to build an adaptor. If that works you might only need a non-power bottom clamshell and a set of tracks.

Also, sometimes eBay shows you what you want easier than the forum. For example, here's a set that shows the differences:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/78-79-80-81...5ZywlT&vxp=mtr

And don't worry, the Forum will always be here to help, especially if you bribe us with more photos.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No one has mentioned checking the rag joint. Mine disintegrated after I drove mine home.
The following users liked this post:
VirginiaVette78 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
No one has mentioned checking the rag joint. Mine disintegrated after I drove mine home.
Thats a good thought! And its not an overly expensive part at $42 from Ecklers. How hard is something like that to put in?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

I don't have power seats myself, but for a first cut, you may want to try taking the passenger seat out and putting it in the driver position. You may need to build an adaptor. If that works you might only need a non-power bottom clamshell and a set of tracks.

Also, sometimes eBay shows you what you want easier than the forum. For example, here's a set that shows the differences:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/78-79-80-81...5ZywlT&vxp=mtr

And don't worry, the Forum will always be here to help, especially if you bribe us with more photos.
Pictures tell a thousand words. That gives me a pretty good idea of how to just swap out the tracks.

Quick Reply: Bought my first Corvette! What do you think of my to-do list?