Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help: Front springs on my '71

Old 11-10-2017, 12:31 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need Help: Front springs on my '71

The front-end on my '71 is sitting high. The car was body-off restored 10 years ago and only has 230 miles on it since restoration. You can see from the pics that the front-end sits 2" high (at least). I contacted the guy who restored the car and he thinks that he put the correct small block springs in the car. I can tell that they are new. Thoughts? Should I just buy new small block springs and install them? I can really use your advice. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Nice 71 vert. Definitely sitting too high in front. Only way to know for sure what you have is to replace them. Thinking someone installed Big Block springs. Alot of work to swap, but worth it to get your stance right.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts

What size are your tires first. The stock height tires are believe 27". Next have you driven the car much it takes time for the suspension to settle.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi JB,
Original front coil springs have a 'top' and 'bottom'.
There are 4 coils that are closer together than the rest, and that end of the spring is intended to go UP into the frame pocket.

The frame pocket where the coil seats is 'shaped' with a 'valley' that the last coil should 'seat'. There's a particular point in that valley were the end of the spring should be.

The lower a-arm also has a valley in it where the bottom of the spring should seat and the end of the spring needs to be at a certain location.

Have you taken a look to see how the springs are seated in your 71?
Regards,
Alan

When the spring is installed properly in the chassis it actually has a slight arc to it.

Note the close coils go up into the frame pocket.

Spring valley in frame pocket.

Valley for spring in lower a-arm. This is the UNDER side because it's easier to see.

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gold Dragon (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:40 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
What size are your tires first. The stock height tires are believe 27". Next have you driven the car much it takes time for the suspension to settle.
I'll check the tire size. If not exact, they are very close to the original F70-15's. Certainly not 2" off in height. Could explain a little of it though.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 PM
JBOSS
Racer

WOW. Thanks, Alan!! This is fantastic info. I am going to crawl under her right when I get home to check all of this out. Stay tuned for a report!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Very nice Corvette.

Curious what the measurement is from the floor to the center of the fender lip.

I went through the joy of changing the springs on my 77 not to long ago to actually get more height because of the extra weight of a BB. Only to be disappointed that the height didn't change at all with the new springs.

But yeah, it does look a little high.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:49 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd cut half a turn off your existing springs and reinstall. Will only cost you some labor. Cut another half turn if not low enough. Make sure you recheck your camber, it will change.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:45 AM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by JBOSS
WOW. Thanks, Alan!! This is fantastic info. I am going to crawl under her right when I get home to check all of this out. Stay tuned for a report!
OK. I tried to get a couple of good pics. Not sure they are of much value. I’m installing a lift in a few weeks. May need to wait until then to get a good look.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

If you do the job when you take down the control arm, take it down from the frame side not the ball joint. It is easier and safer and you won't ruin the boot on the joint. Also use a spring compressor that goes up thru the shock hole. Go to you tube and they tell you how to make one. Makes spring removal easier and safer. Not a hard job.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Rule of thumb - cutting one full coil will lower front ~2". I followed the rule and it lowered ~2" on mine. Are you doing this yourself?
The following users liked this post:
JBOSS (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi JB,
When using original springs the 'cut end' of the coil should be visible through these holes.
This is also an indication that the spring is seated in the 'valleys' correctly.
Regards,
Alan

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by 540 vette
If you do the job when you take down the control arm, take it down from the frame side not the ball joint. It is easier and safer and you won't ruin the boot on the joint. Also use a spring compressor that goes up thru the shock hole. Go to you tube and they tell you how to make one. Makes spring removal easier and safer. Not a hard job.
Great advice. Thanks, Steve!
Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JBOSS
Great advice. Thanks, Steve!

Glad I could help. It usually takes me about 1 1/2 hours that way.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:42 AM
gr8t73
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If the suspension fasteners were tightened with no load, that is the full weight of the vehicle riding on the suspension, it will cause the vehicle to set higher than it should. It also causes premature wear of the rubber bushings in the suspension but since your vehicle has only a few hundred miles since the restoration this would not be evident. You may be able to correct this problem by placing the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension loosen the fasteners then bounce the body up & down several times to try and get the bushings to settle in the correct position and then torque the fasteners to the correct torque while the suspension is still carrying the vehicle weight. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

how about you take the number off the ssticker and look online to see what they are. I did that and discovered my front springs were part of an after market handling package
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
how about you take the number off the ssticker and look online to see what they are. I did that and discovered my front springs were part of an after market handling package
If you blow up the pics they show 3931823 HS which should be a spring for small block cars and correct for 1971. I would check the Install/index before anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help: Front springs on my '71

Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by John 65
Very nice Corvette.

Curious what the measurement is from the floor to the center of the fender lip.

I went through the joy of changing the springs on my 77 not to long ago to actually get more height because of the extra weight of a BB. Only to be disappointed that the height didn't change at all with the new springs.

But yeah, it does look a little high.
Sorry for the delay, John. From the ground to the fender lip measures 28-3/4". What is the stock measurement?

I am worried about having the same problem as you (front end not dropping after new, correct springs installed). I am leaning toward cutting a full coil off. It seems like it's the only way that I can be sure that the front-end will drop 2". Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
If you blow up the pics they show 3931823 HS which should be a spring for small block cars and correct for 1971. I would check the Install/index before anything else.
Good eye, Joe! I noticed that too and looked it up. You are correct, that is the correct spring number. My concern is around whether the restorer simple purchased and stuck that sticker on the spring. Those stickers are purchasable, correct? (I am really new to this restoration stuff. OMG, is there a lot to learn). :-)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM
JBOSS
Racer

Originally Posted by gr8t73
If the suspension fasteners were tightened with no load, that is the full weight of the vehicle riding on the suspension, it will cause the vehicle to set higher than it should. It also causes premature wear of the rubber bushings in the suspension but since your vehicle has only a few hundred miles since the restoration this would not be evident. You may be able to correct this problem by placing the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension loosen the fasteners then bounce the body up & down several times to try and get the bushings to settle in the correct position and then torque the fasteners to the correct torque while the suspension is still carrying the vehicle weight. Don't ask me how I know this.
Fantastic tip, Marty. Thank you! I don't know how you know that, but I am glad that you do....and that you shared your knowledge with me. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help: Front springs on my '71