Sponsored by:

Unusual door tag !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:50 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Yes indeed it is a S.
Which casts even more doubts on the authenticity of this tag, since it shows a 5.

If I was the OP I would start researching the NCRS books and documents they have available. Good source of info on what happened at the plants.

But the car is still a nice car. I would just drive it and not worry about the tag. I hope that you did not buy the car based on the extra tag. I'm sure that blokes across the pond will see it as a nice piece of American history.
The following users liked this post:
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just wanted to say congrats on your '78! I will be going through the same journey as you for the most part, as I just got my '78 about 2 weekends ago!
Funny thing is, mine is also a cream white! Glad to see another one out there!
Best of luck on your resto! Keep in touch!
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 868 Likes on 372 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

According to your VIN, the car was made with an L48 engine. According to the trim tag, it was originally white with a dark blue leather interior.

Here are some links that may help you.

PDF file on 78's: https://gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm...t-Corvette.pdf

You can order copies of invoices for your car, by using the link below. Cost is $50.00 (USD). Provide VIN# and credit card info. If they don't find anything, they do not charge you. I was able to get a copy of my 78's original dealer invoice.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=1

Gotta love those 78's!

Last edited by Rky Mtn C6; 11-15-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I HAVE heard of a couple of cars being rehabbed by the EMPLOYEES at the Bowling Green plant.
One that comes to mind is a drug seized I think 78 that was redone for the Bowling Green police department for their DARE program.
Think it was more of a frame on cosmetic resto.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I HAVE heard of a couple of cars being rehabbed by the EMPLOYEES at the Bowling Green plant.
One that comes to mind is a drug seized I think 78 that was redone for the Bowling Green police department for their DARE program.
Think it was more of a frame on cosmetic resto.
This is good info KapsSA, one could probably contact the BGPD to confirm. Most PD's have good records regarding their DARE program. And, as the DARE programs are usually involved in high profile community type events, there might even be a few pictures available.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

The OP said "he contacted the Corvette Museum", maybe he should contact the BG factory with a photo of the tag.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Panzerino
Hi thanks for your help, I live over the pond , the United Kingdom, a place called Manchester, “the rainy city” as they call it 😳 looks like I’ll not find anything out regarding the tag, but I’ll keep on trying as I build the car up , should get it ready for the summer,
Mike.
<------ I'm well versed in weather in Manchester
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Here is a picture of the same stickers on the door of my '91 (C4) for reference

Greg (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Yikes! sorry it came out giant
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 444 Likes on 272 Posts

I think its safe to say the Corvette Museum did not restore the car in 1991. It did not open until 1994. Nice Corvette though, enjoy.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:15 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

One thing that everyone is forgetting here, is that while "S" was the factory VIN code for St. Louis, the factory code for Bowling Green is "5".

If for some strange reason, that car ended up at Bowling Green to receive some kind of work or modifications, I can see how someone could easily screw up the VIN, by using a 5 instead of an S. Every other car that comes out of Bowling Green, has a 5 for the factory code. If the person typing the label, was use to typing in a 5, it may never have occurred to them, that it should have been an S.

It could also just be a simple typo since 1000's of Corvettes have ended up with titles showing a 5 in place of an S, when someone at a DMV, misread the VIN on an application. Maybe the Bowling Green employee typing the label, misread the S as a 5?

GM has been known to occasionally do repaints at assembly plants, for GM employees, usually those with some seniority. A car that was repainted at the factory, would need the Federal Certification Label replaced, if it was removed before painting. I have no idea if Bowling Green did any repainting of cars for employees, but if it did take place, this could explain the sticker and date on the car?

Has anyone else notice the tire size on the label? I find it interesting that the tire size listed is P235/70R15, when the factory sizes offered in 78 were P225/70R15 and P255/60R15.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 PM
bwbrown
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
You probably know that you should CHECK ALL FLUIDS AND LEVELS. I picked up a "serviced" vehicle/verified face-to-face with the mechanic that it was ready for use.......

I decided to check the fluid levels, anyway...................

it had NO oil in the engine.
I did new car receiving in the 60's at a Chevy dealer. Never a week went by without finding at least one new car come off the truck with a dry sump/pan/reservoir.
It is ALWAYS WISE good to check.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:59 AM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
One thing that everyone is forgetting here, is that while "S" was the factory VIN code for St. Louis, the factory code for Bowling Green is "5".
gbv, I follow what you're saying but BG didn't start producing Corvettes until 1981. I suppose if someone was actually typing in the info by hand on this later label, an error of monumental stupidity could occur, like typing a 5 instead of an S, just to make a bunch of guys like us scratch our heads a quarter century later.
If I had to guess, I would think that by 1991 these decals were computer generated like the SPID labels, rather than hand typed.
Of course, if they were not computer generated your guess of a typo probably makes the most sense.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:37 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
gbv, I follow what you're saying but BG didn't start producing Corvettes until 1981. I suppose if someone was actually typing in the info by hand on this later label, an error of monumental stupidity could occur, like typing a 5 instead of an S, just to make a bunch of guys like us scratch our heads a quarter century later.
Oh, I'm quite familiar with the fact that Bowling Green didn't start building Corvettes until 81. I have a Bowling Green 81, that I bought new.

From the information on the label, we know it was generated at Bowling Green, and in 1991. St Louis stopped building Corvettes in August 81, and ceased all production in 86, when their truck operations were moved to Wisconsin. I'm just saying that when generating that label, someone at Bowling Green may have just assumed that the assembly plant code was 5, since that is what went on every VIN label they generated there? It may not even have occurred to them that 78 was different.

If I had to guess, I would think that by 1991 these decals were computer generated like the SPID labels, rather than hand typed.
Of course, if they were not computer generated your guess of a typo probably makes the most sense.
I'm sure the label was computer generated, but a person still had to input the information, that was going on the label.

On a new car order, the information for the VIN, paperwork and Certification Label, would have been generated at GM's central office, and forwarded to the final assembly plant, where it would be printed out. This label is dated 1991, so it obviously wasn't tied to a new car order, and it likely didn't come though GM's normal production channels. Since the label refers to work being done on the car at Bowling Green, and since both the VIN and the tire size are wrong, compared to when new, I have to think that the label was likely created at Bowling Green, probably by someone unfamiliar with 78's. I'm just offering it up as a possibility.

For me, knowing the "5" is Bowling Green's assembly plant VIN code, it's just to much of a coincidence to think that it got put there for any other reason, then someone assuming it should be a 5.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bwbrown
I did new car receiving in the 60's at a Chevy dealer. Never a week went by without finding at least one new car come off the truck with a dry sump/pan/reservoir.
It is ALWAYS WISE good to check.
Eighmeys?
Old 11-16-2017, 05:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Greg--

My statement was that dated forms "could" stay the same for many years. And that statement was correct. As far as the error in the VIN, the car's "rebuild" (whatever that is) was performed many years after the VIN was new, so it would not surprise me that the VIN number was entered with that mistake.

However, I have my doubts about that "rebuild" story. I've never heard any stories of older cars being rebuilt in GM factories. If that tag is in reference to a rebuild at the Corvette Museum, perhaps that could happen...but I know nothing about such a process.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 11-16-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Panzerino (11-18-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by M A Fry
Maybe it would be useful to contact the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. If they don't
know they might be able to give you a contact of someone who can help.
Re read the op's post, he did state that he contacted the Corvette Museum

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual door tag !!!

Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Greg--
However, I have my doubts about that "rebuild" story. I've never heard any stories of older cars being rebuilt in GM factories. If that tag is in reference to a rebuild at the Corvette Museum, perhaps that could happen...but I know nothing about such a process.
Ditto

Hey, I'm just glad to have an interesting new topic that generates some fresh input!
I'm a little burned out on "battery drains" and "rear ends noise" threads.
(of course, no disrespect meant to those with battery drains and rear end noises!)
Old 11-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Panzerino
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Unusual door tag

Cheers guys, for all the info I’ve received from you out there, never thought it would be this much fun !!!!!!!! .. really found it interesting, the last post I found interesting , if not strange was to contact the bowling green police department ! , now that’s great , I would like to do this but need some details on how to
Greg , thanks my friend for your input , really appreciate it I will now do a build up and restoration post on the corvette starting with moving the fuse box to the engine bay to start with , as I’ve stripped the car out completely and sound proofed it from rear to dash ! These pice are before I’ve fitted the sound Matt
, just painted it....... will get more pics for you as I go along , it’s “ bloody freezing” at the moment here around 7 degrees , so it’s in and out of the house , couple of “ whiskeys” helps , keeps the cold out
thanks guys

regards
mike
Attached Images    
Old 11-19-2017, 05:32 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

I have seen the S in the vin replaced with a 5 a few times here in Australia .
When an uneducated ( no corvette knowledge) person I’d transposing the vin to rego paper work.
Bfit

Last edited by bfit; 11-19-2017 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Unusual door tag !!!