Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tempature Impacts on Corvette Body

Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tempature Impacts on Corvette Body

This is a simple question I hope and perhaps DUB will weigh in on it. Someone suggested to me that a car exposed to colder temps negatively impacts any body work or filler that may have been used due to the expansion/contraction properties in fiberglass.

I keep my car in a large car port up on a kwik lift with a California Car Cover on it to allow it to breath and not trap moisture. It gets cold but rarely below the 20s during the coldest months.

Is it true that colder temps can screw the body work on these cars? I kind of find this tough to believe given how cold garages can get.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Rookie guess: I wonder if moisture/rain seeping into voids/cracks in repaired areas will freeze/expand causing separation in those areas when cars are exposed just enough to get wet.....carports/driveways/parking lots?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Temp will only affect body fill when it's applied. A colder temperature will slow the cure time. Cold has no effect on the filler once the car is prepped and painted.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Rookie guess: I wonder if moisture/rain seeping into voids/cracks in repaired areas will freeze/expand causing separation in those areas when cars are exposed just enough to get wet.....carports/driveways/parking lots?
Actually, I believe it will. I should have mentioned that my car's body and paint have been completed. The risk you mention is the reason I had someone do the body work indoors in a controlled environment.
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default Sublime to the ridiculous!

Originally Posted by Ranger24
This is a simple question I hope and perhaps DUB will weigh in on it. Someone suggested to me that a car exposed to colder temps negatively impacts any body work or filler that may have been used due to the expansion/contraction properties in fiberglass.

I keep my car in a large car port up on a kwik lift with a California Car Cover on it to allow it to breath and not trap moisture. It gets cold but rarely below the 20s during the coldest months.

Is it true that colder temps can screw the body work on these cars? I kind of find this tough to believe given how cold garages can get.

I think I can bring some insight here. First My 69 spent 25 years in WAY sub zero Northern VT. The car itself got down to ZERO degrees F many many times....no effect on the body. Much MORE effect was 'perpetrated' by condensation on the metal bonding strips and the headlight mount bolts...a well known malady...but not really caused by temperature (per se).

Then I moved to Planet Crematoria (So. AZ.) FAR FAR more effect was done on both the cars by THE HEAT.

Basically leaving the car in the sun does much more damage. The co-efficient of expansion is GREATER in heat than cold (meaning the amount of excursion).
The 82 CE does not like the heat...the stripes don't like it, the urethane bumpers don't like it. The interior HATES it.

Keep the car DRY, keep it out of the strong sun...you'll be fine.
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon
Temp will only affect body fill when it's applied. A colder temperature will slow the cure time. Cold has no effect on the filler once the car is prepped and painted.
Seems reasonable to me also.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by L-46man
I think I can bring some insight here. First My 69 spent 25 years in WAY sub zero Northern VT. The car itself got down to ZERO degrees F many many times....no effect on the body. Much MORE effect was 'perpetrated' by condensation on the metal bonding strips and the headlight mount bolts...a well known malady...but not really caused by temperature (per se).

Then I moved to Planet Crematoria (So. AZ.) FAR FAR more effect was done on both the cars by THE HEAT.

Basically leaving the car in the sun does much more damage. The co-efficient of expansion is GREATER in heat than cold (meaning the amount of excursion).
The 82 CE does not like the heat...the stripes don't like it, the urethane bumpers don't like it. The interior HATES it.

Keep the car DRY, keep it out of the strong sun...you'll be fine.
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I believe you got your answers...and YES...applying body filler that is below ambient air temps can cause it to possibly not adhere as well as if the temps were between 70-85 degrees F. Simply the products are usually tested at ambient air temps.

Applying filler and such when the temps are really hot..can also cause for issues if considerations are not thought out on the actual product curing up before you can apply it.

I do not know if you care about my views on covering a car when it is outside. In my opinion...and I do not care about who makes the cover...I feel that they still create a greenhouse effect and can cause for major moisture problems. If a cover is used it should be carefully watched and often times allowed to breathe and take the cover off and open up the car and put it in the sun. Keep in mind I live in an area of the country where humidity can be brutal.

DUB
Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
I believe you got your answers...and YES...applying body filler that is below ambient air temps can cause it to possibly not adhere as well as if the temps were between 70-85 degrees F. Simply the products are usually tested at ambient air temps.

Applying filler and such when the temps are really hot..can also cause for issues if considerations are not thought out on the actual product curing up before you can apply it.

I do not know if you care about my views on covering a car when it is outside. In my opinion...and I do not care about who makes the cover...I feel that they still create a greenhouse effect and can cause for major moisture problems. If a cover is used it should be carefully watched and often times allowed to breathe and take the cover off and open up the car and put it in the sun. Keep in mind I live in an area of the country where humidity can be brutal.

DUB
Your opinion matters to me so point taken on the cover. Here in VA it does get wet when due points rise or during periods of high humidity.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Your opinion is valued here as well. I had a bad experience with a car cover which I didn't remove periodically to let moisture out. Ruined the paint.
The following users liked this post:
DUB (11-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Tempature Impacts on Corvette Body

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tempature Impacts on Corvette Body