Sponsored by:

1971 Corvette install power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 AM
thelal1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1971 Corvette install power brakes

Bought a 1971 Corvette LS5, found out car originally had manual brakes. Then power brake booster was added. When driving it the brakes will put you against the wheel if applied. Noticed when researching that it possibly be the rod attachment to the brake pedal. Upper hole is for manual lower is for power brakes. Anyone out there have an issue like this.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My 70 has manual brakes and I wanted to add power brakes but I hear good and bad stories on this . Somebody posted pics when they did theirs and it worked fine , maybe they have the wrong master cyl, or the lenght of the rod . Sorry I guess I was not much help.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:58 AM
thelal1
Pro

Originally Posted by RonR80
My 70 has manual brakes and I wanted to add power brakes but I hear good and bad stories on this . Somebody posted pics when they did theirs and it worked fine , maybe they have the wrong master cyl, or the lenght of the rod . Sorry I guess I was not much help.
Can the rod between the power brake booster and master cylinder be adjusted
Old 11-16-2017, 11:00 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

I have the exact opposite problem - maybe we can park our cars next to each other overnight, and have them even out their brakes.

My 69 was converted from manual to power by the previous owner (actually he had a GM dealership install the kit from Zip). I think the brakes still feel like manual brakes (or worse), and the previous owner thought so too. He even had them install an electric vacuum pump to see if that would help (it didn't). I've checked the hole on the brake pedal, and it's in the 'power' position. I'll probably dig deeper into it when I have more time - in the meantime I've just been watching for threads detailing issues like this...

From what I've found, your problem might be an incorrect master cylinder if they didn't replace that? I've also found references to the rod length, but the Zip kit instructions don't mention anything about different lengths or checking the length...
Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 AM
thelal1
Pro

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
I have the exact opposite problem - maybe we can park our cars next to each other overnight, and have them even out their brakes.

My 69 was converted from manual to power by the previous owner (actually he had a GM dealership install the kit from Zip). I think the brakes still feel like manual brakes (or worse), and the previous owner thought so too. He even had them install an electric vacuum pump to see if that would help (it didn't). I've checked the hole on the brake pedal, and it's in the 'power' position. I'll probably dig deeper into it when I have more time - in the meantime I've just been watching for threads detailing issues like this...

From what I've found, your problem might be an incorrect master cylinder if they didn't replace that? I've also found references to the rod length, but the Zip kit instructions don't mention anything about different lengths or checking the length...
Treid calling previous owner, he has been real good on answering questions. Left message to see if the were a package buy, booster and master cylinder. Also about the rod.
These brakes are so touchy, one little touch and the dust flies of.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:55 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I converted mine also/manual brakes worked well, but I needed better stopping ability for Louisiana drivers .....

it took some adjusting to make them work smoothly, but they have 50% more stopping ability now.

I'm guessing the ROD BETWEEN the booster and the master cylinder is a bit too long and is causing the master cylinder to react too soon. Check this possibility FIRST.

There is also adjustment at the brake pedal rod.

There are several more checks.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:37 PM
thelal1
Pro

Default Brake booster

Thanks that was my 1st thought ,later I am going to pull MC and see about just I g that rod.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Corvette install power brakes

Quick Reply: 1971 Corvette install power brakes