Sponsored by:

Strange noise from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 AM
clnhse
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strange noise from the rear

I have been chasing a noise since this car has been built, 2500 miles. The control arms are offset vette brakes which they did the bearings. I have new 3 inch half shafts with joints. A new drive shaft. LS conversion and 5 speed. I also have a vette brakes dual mount rear spring and c5 brakes. I also have a dontov built rear diff. 3.55 posi. Once the car gets hot I hear a knocking while turn or stop and take off. If the car cools it is fine. I have flushed the diff once and added royal purple and one bottle of additive. The best advice is to flush it again with two bottles and non synthetic?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

I use gm diff fluid and 2 bottles of gm posi fluid had the same noise now it gone
Old 11-16-2017, 01:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

did you correctly install the front rubber bushings that connect the rear end bracket to the frame?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

[QUOTE=clnhse;1595980185 Once the car gets hot I hear a knocking while turn or stop and take off. If the car cools it is fine. I have flushed the diff once and added royal purple and one bottle of additive. The best advice is to flush it again with two bottles and non synthetic?[/QUOTE]

That sounds like posi chatter, which on a rebuilt diff can be from improper setup on the posi or lubrication. I would first follow what you were advised and go with 2 bottles of the GM additive and non syntetic gear oil. Do the figure 8's in a parking lot and see if that solves your issue, if not then the posi needs to be checked or you live with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange noise from the rear

Quick Reply: Strange noise from the rear