Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Stuck a Lt1 in my 77 C3...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:40 PM
rrwebster
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! Stuck a Lt1 in my 77 C3...

It's run just fine for oh 4-5 years... just really to move it from here to there and around the yard from building to building... it looks like H but never sits outside. About a month ago I got serious about making it road worthy. Used fiberglass (10 layers) to fix the floor and pans, super strong now. and how none of that really matters.

I got the gauges working and had noticed a bit ago that the alternator wasn't changing. well I had stolen it to get my 86 Z28 going that I stuck an LT1 and on it the alternator changed just fine. so I read where you need to add a 470ohm resistor onto the wire just before it attaches to the alternator (the 14 gage wire (side connector) to fake it out thinking it had a Gauge on it and it would cause it to charge.

So I did this.. Amazon had them, half volt, 6.88 for them. (turns out you get 100 for that price so anyone wants one send me a self addressed stamped envelope and $2 and I'll mail you 3).

while doing this I wasn't happy with my serpentine belt setup as I had an idler that was way to close to the frame so I corrected that as well.

so now to the meat of the reason for this post.

Since I've done this it will not start.

I have power at the fuel injectors, I have 45-50 lbs of fuel pressure at the rail., I have spark at each spark plug, I will get an "almost start" from time to time.

I believe that I've check ed everything which can't be true because it won't start.

HELP! can anyone think of anything that I can check or try?

I can't get the codes off for some reason. The software and cable setup that I have allow me to program the computer, pulls up all the tables except the codes. using C.A.T.S. tuner (older version) but it works great on LT1's (I have 4 of them so I am a little partial to them.

Anyhow thanks in advance for anything you can think of!

Robert

yeah, I know was sure if I should post this in the C4 forum... but its in a 77
Old 11-17-2017, 04:54 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwebster
It's run just fine for oh 4-5 years... just really to move it from here to there and around the yard from building to building... it looks like H but never sits outside. About a month ago I got serious about making it road worthy. Used fiberglass (10 layers) to fix the floor and pans, super strong now. and how none of that really matters.

I got the gauges working and had noticed a bit ago that the alternator wasn't changing. well I had stolen it to get my 86 Z28 going that I stuck an LT1 and on it the alternator changed just fine. so I read where you need to add a 470ohm resistor onto the wire just before it attaches to the alternator (the 14 gage wire (side connector) to fake it out thinking it had a Gauge on it and it would cause it to charge.

So I did this.. Amazon had them, half volt, 6.88 for them. (turns out you get 100 for that price so anyone wants one send me a self addressed stamped envelope and $2 and I'll mail you 3).

while doing this I wasn't happy with my serpentine belt setup as I had an idler that was way to close to the frame so I corrected that as well.

so now to the meat of the reason for this post.

Since I've done this it will not start.

I have power at the fuel injectors, I have 45-50 lbs of fuel pressure at the rail., I have spark at each spark plug, I will get an "almost start" from time to time.

I believe that I've check ed everything which can't be true because it won't start.

HELP! can anyone think of anything that I can check or try?

I can't get the codes off for some reason. The software and cable setup that I have allow me to program the computer, pulls up all the tables except the codes. using C.A.T.S. tuner (older version) but it works great on LT1's (I have 4 of them so I am a little partial to them.

Anyhow thanks in advance for anything you can think of!

Robert

yeah, I know was sure if I should post this in the C4 forum... but its in a 77
Might want to post in in the tech section!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I support your choice in engines...
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Outside chance: Injectors aren't squirting.....a couple of them may be leaking just enough for the engine to get a little fuel.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 AM
ted13b
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you getting enough oil pressure? Most modern engines won't fire until they're reading high enough oil pressure. (I don't know if that's true on the LT1, just thinking out loud). I know the LT1 has the Optispark distributor, is timing adjustable? Maybe the timing is off?
Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 AM
rrwebster
Instructor

Default Oil pressure

Originally Posted by ted13b
Are you getting enough oil pressure? Most modern engines won't fire until they're reading high enough oil pressure. (I don't know if that's true on the LT1, just thinking out loud). I know the LT1 has the Optispark distributor, is timing adjustable? Maybe the timing is off?
It's true on a LT1, gauge registers while cranking. The Optispark though. Not adjustable except at installation, however I had a huge backfire a couple of days ago that I forgot about. It might have skipped a tooth. Hate to tear it down but that is my next move.

Thanks for bringing that up.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:19 AM
rrwebster
Instructor

Default Another thought..

It's true on a LT1, gauge registers while cranking. The Optispark though. Not adjustable except at installation, however I had a huge backfire a couple of days ago that I forgot about. It might have skipped a tooth. Hate to tear it down but that is my next move.

Thanks for bringing that up.
​​​​​​ I hid the key fuel pressure jumps to 50 if I don't crank it's back down to 0 in 2 seconds could I be flooding it?
How do you fix leaking fuel injectors?Just replace them or is there a way to repair them?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 AM
rrwebster
Instructor

Default Update

​​​​​​ I hid the key fuel pressure jumps to 50 if I don't crank it's back down to 0 in 2 seconds could I be flooding it?
How do you fix leaking fuel injectors?Just replace them or is there a way to repair them?
Bad injectors, but sometimes started, leaked and got into the oil enough to cause it to thin enough that the oil pressure wouldn't build. Had another set of better injectors, replaced, changed oil... Running again.

Thanks guys!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Stuck a Lt1 in my 77 C3...

Quick Reply: Help! Stuck a Lt1 in my 77 C3...