Sponsored by:

Did the Dreaded brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:33 PM
pep49
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Did the Dreaded brake bleeding

It has been about two years since I rebuilt all 4 of my calipers and my brakes were getting a little soft, so I put my 72 on 4 jack stands, got out my Motive Power bleeder and went to work. After many frustrating hours the brakes are firm again. Lessons learned on Motive Power Bleeder. Use three clamps to evenly hold top plate in place, only put small amount of brake fluid in container to you see if it will hold pressure and not puke brake fluid all over your garage floor. When those conditions are met, release pressure, add more brake fluid, pressurize to about 12 lbs and proceed to bleed in correct sequence. Breath sigh of relief when done and pedal is solid - then cancel for sale ad in Craigslist, life is good again!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

pep, I'm a HUGE believer in power bleeders. It's the only sure way to do the job. That being said, I purchased a Motive bleeder as well. Worst piece of crap I ever purchased in the area of automotive tools.
Leaks like a sieve, the factory set up is the poorest quality possible. You are right, clamp the daylights out of it, you might not soak the garage floor.
Been there brother
Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree that pressure bleeding the brake system is the BEST way...but that is my opinion.

I have a pressure bleeder that does not leak ( different make)...if either of you want..I can post photos of the thick plate that goes on top of the master cylinder and how it is attached...so if either of you get adventurous...you can make one so you do not have to hassle with it when you do brake service.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
vette8121 (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I agree that pressure bleeding the brake system is the BEST way...but that is my opinion.

I have a pressure bleeder that does not leak ( different make)...if either of you want..I can post photos of the thick plate that goes on top of the master cylinder and how it is attached...so if either of you get adventurous...you can make one so you do not have to hassle with it when you do brake service.

DUB
Similar. Here is my setup, I don't add fluid with pressure, but I can easily remove the plate add fluid and continue with pressure bleeding.

No mess at all.
pep49 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
pep, I'm a HUGE believer in power bleeders. It's the only sure way to do the job. That being said, I purchased a Motive bleeder as well. Worst piece of crap I ever purchased in the area of automotive tools.
Leaks like a sieve, the factory set up is the poorest quality possible. You are right, clamp the daylights out of it, you might not soak the garage floor.
Been there brother
The first one I had leaked, but a "friend" never returned it.
My new one, no issues. They seemed to have resolved some quality issues.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 PM
pep49
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Thanks Dub, I would like to see the photos.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by pep49
Thanks Dub, I would like to see the photos.
Will do..I will get them tomorrow.

DUB
Old 11-18-2017, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cagotzmann

Similar. Here is my setup, I don't add fluid with pressure, but I can easily remove the plate add fluid and continue with pressure bleeding.

No mess at all.
SO if I read this correctly...you are pressurizing the system with air??? and not forcing fluid under pressure through the system?

DUB
Old 11-19-2017, 06:26 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Of all the cars brakes I've bleed in my life I've never had a problem doing them the old fashion way with a brake pedal helper.

"We don't need no stinking power bleeder"
Torqued Off (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I gravity bleed my brakes for a day to two, and then I used Mity Vac to pull fluid to each caliper. Quite easy, with no problem. That was with NEW master cylinder, tubing and overhauled brakes...so I really never understand why people have this problem bleeding brakes on these cars. Besides the mushy feel of a power brakes on this car, the pedal is firm and stops the car very well.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The first Motive bleeder I used had a plastic plate. The owner had used two pieces of metal to stiffen it and used a C clamp as pictured previously. When I ordered mine it cam with an aluminum plate and I also used a clamp. I have no problems with leaks. I still put a wad of shop rags under it and watch carefully as I build pressure.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Of all the cars brakes I've bleed in my life I've never had a problem doing them the old fashion way with a brake pedal helper.
Torqued Off (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

'pep49'

I forget to take photos..I will do it tomorrow for what it is worth.

"We don't need no stinking power bleeder"
Unless you are working by yourself...like I am. I bought my pressure bleeder so if I am at the shop late at night and no one is around..I do not have to stop. And I have made adapters so I can bleed out a hydraulic clutch systems also by myself. I have gotten so used to not to have to stop and refill the master cylinder..I just hook up the tool and let it do its thing.

And knowing that this is not the C4 section..but the brake lines for an ABS unit are not like that of a C3...so...for me a pressure bleeder is the only way to do that.

I do agree that having to have a pressure bleeder is NOT a must. But I can pretty much guarantee you that those that have pressure bleeder would never want do it the other way(s).

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
carriljc (11-24-2017), pep49 (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
SO if I read this correctly...you are pressurizing the system with air??? and not forcing fluid under pressure through the system?

DUB
Yes just connected to my air compressor and set for 15-20 PSI,

I have a 5 foot clear tube I connect to the bleeder then bleed until I get 3 full bleeds through the tubing. Then I remove the plate and fill the MC again.

If you push air into the master cylinder then I follow this procedure to remove air from the MC without blench bleeding.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cylinder.html

Last edited by cagotzmann; 11-19-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
The first one I had leaked, but a "friend" never returned it.
My new one, no issues. They seemed to have resolved some quality issues.
I've had mine for some time now. I get good results using it.

The only thing that I don't like are the hoses that come with it are CRAP.

They deteriorate after time and break at the worst time.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Unless you are working by yourself...like I am. I bought my pressure bleeder so if I am at the shop late at night and no one is around..I do not have to stop. And I have made adapters so I can bleed out a hydraulic clutch systems also by myself. I have gotten so used to not to have to stop and refill the master cylinder..I just hook up the tool and let it do its thing.

And knowing that this is not the C4 section..but the brake lines for an ABS unit are not like that of a C3...so...for me a pressure bleeder is the only way to do that.

I do agree that having to have a pressure bleeder is NOT a must. But I can pretty much guarantee you that those that have pressure bleeder would never want do it the other way(s).

DUB
I get that DUB. I'd probably have one if I worked on cars for a living. I've just never had any problems doing it the old fashion way on many cars starting with my first car, an MGB (which I actually learned how to bleed at 16 because the clutch was hydraulic and I'd have to bleed it often).

When I changed all the calipers on my Vette 15 years ago and flushed out all the lines It only took a couple of hours to bleed all 4 corners with my friend and to this day I have a rock solid pedal.

I think the biggest problem people have is opening the bleeder too much. Even if you can't see the air entering at the bleeder it will enter around the threads of the bleeder if opened too far. When I bleed I have my helper push the pedal slightly before opening the bleeder to put a little pressure in the line. I then open the bleeder and have my helper push all the way.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by theandies
I get that DUB. I'd probably have one if I worked on cars for a living. I've just never had any problems doing it the old fashion way on many cars starting with my first car, an MGB (which I actually learned how to bleed at 16 because the clutch was hydraulic and I'd have to bleed it often).

When I changed all the calipers on my Vette 15 years ago and flushed out all the lines It only took a couple of hours to bleed all 4 corners with my friend and to this day I have a rock solid pedal.

I think the biggest problem people have is opening the bleeder too much. Even if you can't see the air entering at the bleeder it will enter around the threads of the bleeder if opened too far. When I bleed I have my helper push the pedal slightly before opening the bleeder to put a little pressure in the line. I then open the bleeder and have my helper push all the way.

I used to do it the way you did it with a helper...but got tired of it as previously mentioned. Even when I had a crew of guys...I preferred that they stayed on task and I did not have to pull them off a project.

DUB
Old 11-23-2017, 05:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

'pep49'

The photos as promised..although a tad late.

The top plate and fixture that I attach to tighten it up so it does not leak.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Did the Dreaded brake bleeding

Quick Reply: Did the Dreaded brake bleeding