All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 11-20-2017, 02:35 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by fever1
Can anyone tell me who carries J56 front brake pads. Thanks

I have these hi-perf street pads, if you or anyone is interested send a PM, I prefer to sell the fronts with the rears and notice they are not riveted they are molded just like the originals
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
fever1 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:39 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you still get the J56 pads with inconel backing plates?
Does any one offer corvette backing plates in titanium?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Are you racing or street driving?

Porterfield was still relining them, but Andy died so you should call his son on them!

If you want cheap street units, go to Vette Brakes!

No one has inconel ones new! I probably have more of those than anyone here, but not for sale!

Inconel repells heat, so why would you want titanium?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-20-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
Can you still get the J56 pads with inconel backing plates?
Does any one offer corvette backing plates in titanium?
I'd think that Ti is too expensive to use for a consumable like a pad backing plate. There are Ti caliper pistons out there.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 PM
fever1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Are you racing or street driving?

Porterfield was still relining them, but Andy died so you should call his son on them!

If you want cheap street units, go to Vette Brakes!

No one has inconel ones new! I probably have more of those than anyone here, but not for sale!

Inconel repells heat, so why would you want titanium?
STREET DRIVING these are for my 67 coupe. Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM
fever1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
You looking for factory or aftermarket?
Makes no difference no more than the car will be driven.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fever1
STREET DRIVING these are for my 67 coupe. Thanks
The stock heavy metallic inconel ones are not good for street driving! They work well when properly warmed up like in racing or performance driving!

I actually pull them out, when operating on the street (plus real ones are super expensive to buy and I have just a limited amount of those new).

I have worn out a few sets over 37 years, so I have taken my inconel backing plates to Porterfield and have put different materials onto those!

Porterfield has has a lot of Twin pin J-56 compatible pads ready for sell and they can do custom! Last I checked they had the pads in over 10 differing compounds ranging from long wearing street to shorter life street, but rotor friendly, to soft compound race to hard compound race and things in between!

You should be be able to go on their website and get good info to pick from! They have like the Hawk line, the Raybestos line and others!
For street they had like an RS material that was like a friction 41 and I think a longer wearing in that same line, and I think the Hawk HPS is popular as well as the blue!

I think some of the Corvette shops get them from Porterfield!

Naturally anytime you call these guys they go conservative on their recommendation, so if you tell them Street, you will get a recommendation to street! Even if you mention race and some street, they will still recommend a street pad, just because you said street!

So if you want something a little more aggressive, say autocross, and track days or something!

My rotors I buy custom from Coleman the NASCAR guys and I like the curved vane heavier duty units, but replacing those is far cheaper than the cost of some of these pads originally or getting originals relined!

These modern pad materials are awesome, some are downright impressive!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-21-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

On the titanium vice inconel, I will just go off of the little knowledge that I have from the high end Engine valves!

The inconel is recommended in like endurance race high heat applications and are basically the most expensive units!

I use them in my best 358 cube Bow tie engine on the exhaust side!

The titanium is the usual selected valve for like most racing and drags etc. I don't think it sheds heat as fast as the inconel! I also see some outfits sodium filling the stems to distribute heat somewhat better!

I have used the equally expensive sodium filled units in the exhaust side! For the intake, you should have a cold air charge of mixture coming in, which makes that valve run in a lot friendlier atmosphere of less heat flowing by, so I have found the more cost effective Stainless units adequate, and tend to not go for the lighter weight and stronger molecularly titanium units! Naturally because the combustion chamber is closed on ignition hopefully, I like the new valve face coatings to reflect heat transfer from the intake valve, so the intake charge isn't the only cooling function occurring!

Pound for pound, I think Inconel is more expensive and rarer! But there are exotic mixtures of titanium using alloys to create essentially a super alloy!

So trying to shift my thinking over to brakes, I just know the inconel kind of refracts the heat and you can handle very rapidly! But I think Titanium kind of absorbs the heat, but is so durable to heat that it is not affected, but the other materials bonded to it might not be as survivalable! But many of these new pad materials like carbon fiber etc have changed all of that! They can insulate essentially the transfer of heat!

I think we we need someone versed in the engineering of these materials here to school us rookies! But somehow Chevrolet race settled on Inconel! I do know for pads, they tested hundreds of materials, but in the modern it has reached a new level with materials that weren't around back then!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-21-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Titanium has a higher specific heat, lower thermal conductivity and a much lower density than inconel.
It also retains its strength at elevated temperatures like inconel.
In the mid 60's titanium was largely unavailable to the public and the use of inconel was the best choice.
Today titanium is cheaper, readily available, easier for me fabricate and may be a better choice for a backing plate.
Did Guldstrand get his pads from Porterfield?
The following users liked this post:
69427 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:14 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
Titanium has a higher specific heat, lower thermal conductivity and a much lower density than inconel.
It also retains its strength at elevated temperatures like inconel.
In the mid 60's titanium was largely unavailable to the public and the use of inconel was the best choice.
Today titanium is cheaper, readily available, easier for me fabricate and may be a better choice for a backing plate.
Did Guldstrand get his pads from Porterfield?
Cool thanks for the answer! Dick just sold the J-56s in the earlier years, and carried all of the modern brake units at the end! He did sell the Porterfield units, but I would have to look through all of the catalogs! I have them all from 1973 forward! I have his high performance suspension pieces he used from 1971. I have most all of the parts he has ever sold through the 70s, 80s, and 90s, in my spare parts inventory!

I might flange some titanium units, and try them out!
Titanium was obtainable in quantity in the late 60s! Evidence is Peter Bryant's TI Can Am cars, him being a former engineer from the Defense Contractor industry! Titanium these days way more available!
In the 1950s and early 60s, you could not get titanium! I have the Phenolic insulation discs on the caliper pistons, twin pin fronts and tears on two cars!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-21-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:27 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I was reading some stuff on Modern built McLarens! Here is a little bit of that:

"You would be hard pressed to find a weight difference between titanium and Inconel. As stated above, I would take inconel 10 out of 10 times. The reason is because of its resistance to heat and fatiguing. It is known as a super alloy with high nickel content. Using titanium is a downgrade in my opinion for anything on the exhaust. Remember these cars can shoot blue flames."

I noticed too that they are not using titanium, but using inconel on Turbo exhausts for a lot of cars!

A higher Thermal conductivity makes for a good heat sink! But I think Inconel has a better heat resistivity as Like expressed just above as a downgrade! All interesting, I would like to find more to read on this! I am going to go dig out a Manley Catalog, as their highest and most expensive valves are the inconel, to read what they say!

Either way, I and I am sure others like to have exotic stuff on their cars! Why shouldn't Corvettes be exotic!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-21-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To j56 disc brake pads

Quick Reply: j56 disc brake pads