Old 01-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Hi Ray,

Lotsa work done and lotsa work to go!

I'm really glad you could use that bezel. To answer your question from back on the 14th (the last pic of the fender...see pic below), that's factory bonding material. I've seen a lot messier on some cars. If I didn't know any better I'd swear the factory hired a big gorilla, gave him a bucket and a big brush, and told him to slop it on here...here...and here.

Keep up the good work, you've made lots a progress!!

Regards,

Dave
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange76L48
Hi Ray,

Lotsa work done and lotsa work to go!

I'm really glad you could use that bezel. To answer your question from back on the 14th (the last pic of the fender...see pic below), that's factory bonding material. I've seen a lot messier on some cars. If I didn't know any better I'd swear the factory hired a big gorilla, gave him a bucket and a big brush, and told him to slop it on here...here...and here.

Keep up the good work, you've made lots a progress!!

Regards,

Dave
Well , that tells me I just want to leave it alone then ! Don't want the big gorilla to get mad at me !

I didn't get pics yet but I managed to put in another couple hours of sandblasting! Can't wait to get it all done and get the front brakes on so it is drivable again !

Once I do that I'm going to pull my parts car out and do a thorough cleaning in my shop ! Once that is done I'll be getting the headlight system back working correctly as well as getting the body ready to go back in black !

Here's another question for anyone out there !I've located one of those rare little 77 only stainless horn buttons ! Here's the catch , guy wants a hundred dollars for it ! Is that high for one of those or just about average?

Thanks for the encouragement Dave ! This thing is doable I just wish I had more free time ! I know that sooner or later I will get it done !

Well gotta go , I've just been told that dinner is ready ! Thanx for looking!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

You are getting with it! I'm jealous all over again.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doorgunner
You are getting with it! I'm jealous all over again.
Don't you fret at all Doorgunner ! Since we'll be fore Christmas all I've managed to spend on it has been about 5 hours of sandblasting!

And then the first week of the new year I was sick with a stomach virus and wasn't able to even leave the house! Now I'm swamped at work ! I've got like four coaches with a laundry list of repairs that one is leaving in two days , another the day after that , another two days later and then Willie's on the first !

Once I get through this part though I can get the brakes working again so I can pull it out , then my parts car is going to come out and go on my trailer and get covered and parked in the back yard !

Then I'm going to switch gears and get my shop clean ! Then it will be time to get the interior finished and ready for all of it to be installed and at that point it will be time to get the headlights working correctly and then do the body in preparation for paint !

My shop alone will probably take a month or two to get it back to the way it was before my son decided to rearrange everything for me

Plus with all the dust from the sand just that will take a lot of work !

Good news is that once it's clean I made a deal with one of the guys that leases a shop where mine is is selling me a four post lift for a $1000.00 bucks rated at 15000 lbs !

Should make the frame off part a little easier!

Did I tell you about the 27 t-bucket body I got for free yet ? It's a fiberglass body that got a little warm ! Guy that owned the car had it in his driveway and his neighbor came over and poured gas on it and set it on fire for him ! Little bit of glassing in and and build a frame and the suspension from my parts car and we will be tooling around in it as well !

It was good to hear from you Tony ! I was gonna call you wife and have her go out in the garage and see if you were on the creeper under the car and got stuck but I couldn't find her number !

Hope your getting better everyday bro !

Thanks for looking in !
Old 01-27-2018, 01:50 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Old 01-27-2018, 04:53 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SPCL FX

Old 01-28-2018, 10:59 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Stay tuned !

Looks like it's gonna be Christmas again soon !

Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Wish you were closer Ray. I'd help you pull that body when you are ready. I have done 12 of them now and getting better with each lift.

Name:  IMG_1466 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  173.9 KB

Here is my 77 body awaiting the roller positioning.

The front straps that support the nose are just behind the gantry crane in this picture but wanted to note I lift with six straps, not just the four seen here.

And that rolling chassis is from a 78 automatic car. I use it as my body and frame transport dolly. Good workhorse.

Now if I only had that rotisserie here still I would mount the body and get busy on the underside cleaning it up. What a dream that was to use in my 72 road racer build.

Great setup once you get your four poster in place.

David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 01-30-2018 at 07:39 AM.
SPCL FX (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

I agree ! I've known for a long time now that I don't like the cold and it's beginning to look like it doesn't play well with you so when are you moving closer ?

Actually The last time I was in your neck of the woods I had a blast ! Back in 2010 we took a vacation and flew north to be with my wife's family for Easter ! We stayed with my wife's sister and her hubby for ten days in Allegheny, NY. We didn't go as far east as you are but we did a day trip to Bradford to her mom and dads house we she grew up ! They still lived in the same house! Anyway I think it's just beautiful up there I'm just not a fan of cold weather! If I could I'd go live in Hawaii again !

It would make it a lot easier though if we lived closer together though , we at least for me ! I could only hope that I would be able to reciprocate !

Just a quick note to say that I got another package today and I stopped at my shop and removed a part from the car that I will try to ship to you tomorrow ! I figure I'll take a pic of all the stuff when it gets here and keep everyone in suspense till then !

More to come , see everybody again soon !
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Ray - really neat project you got going there! I've got a '72 pickup so it was neat to see what you did for Willie and the boys. Kinda stuck in the bog of life n cold n broke, so Giddy-up Go hasn't seen a wrench on it in months now, but have bought a few parts here and there. Keep going and posting!
SPCL FX (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Ray - really neat project you got going there! I've got a '72 pickup so it was neat to see what you did for Willie and the boys. Kinda stuck in the bog of life n cold n broke, so Giddy-up Go hasn't seen a wrench on it in months now, but have bought a few parts here and there. Keep going and posting!
Well thank you ! It took almost 4 years to get it done but I wasn't able to work on it all the time !

I just bought some new parts over the weekend and once everything gets here a post a pic of all that I got !

Now if I can only find some time to finish the sandblasting and get the brakes on and move everything out and clean the shop.......

Oh well , the rush will be over soon and I'll be able to get something done again !
Old 01-31-2018, 08:24 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I agree ! I've known for a long time now that I don't like the cold and it's beginning to look like it doesn't play well with you so when are you moving closer ?

Actually The last time I was in your neck of the woods I had a blast ! Back in 2010 we took a vacation and flew north to be with my wife's family for Easter ! We stayed with my wife's sister and her hubby for ten days in Allegheny, NY. We didn't go as far east as you are but we did a day trip to Bradford to her mom and dads house we she grew up ! They still lived in the same house! Anyway I think it's just beautiful up there I'm just not a fan of cold weather! If I could I'd go live in Hawaii again !

It would make it a lot easier though if we lived closer together though , we at least for me ! I could only hope that I would be able to reciprocate !

Just a quick note to say that I got another package today and I stopped at my shop and removed a part from the car that I will try to ship to you tomorrow ! I figure I'll take a pic of all the stuff when it gets here and keep everyone in suspense till then !

More to come , see everybody again soon !
I am tracking your latest package and it just left Doralville, GA and is set to deliver to you tomorrow, Thursday, February 1st, by the end of the day. Keep your eyes open for that UPS package. You also have a USPS package coming, also tomorrow, so keep your eyes open for that one as well. I won't call out what you are getting but your first USPS and UPS packages have been delivered. Last two are on the way.

Christmas in Kissimmee!

Last edited by AllC34Me; 01-31-2018 at 08:28 AM.
SPCL FX (01-31-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:16 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

My brother bought a red 77 and brought it by my house in 79, that is what got me going on wanting a vet. My best friend had some older vets(C2s), but the 76 I bought was local, and not Bubba'ed. Good luck with your resto.
SPCL FX (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:55 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Please take this totally tounge in cheek.......

OHHHHHH but it's not a STINGRAY

From a guy that owns a '77
Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sstocker31

Please take this totally tounge in cheek.......

OHHHHHH but it's not a STINGRAY

From a guy that owns a '77
I know , I know ! 😂

I got a great price on them and the one that were there when I got it were really bad! Not sure if I posted a pic of them or not and then did clean up a lot but .......

Not sure if they will ever make it on the engine because what I want is a set of aluminum finned covers ! Just wanted to make sure that I had a decent set till I got a good deal on the others !

Technically they came off a 76 and mine was built in 76 so will the real 77 please stand up ! 🤣

With everything that was missing I'm surprised it had any on it at all !

Thanks for stopping in !
Old 02-01-2018, 10:17 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
My brother bought a red 77 and brought it by my house in 79, that is what got me going on wanting a vet. My best friend had some older vets(C2s), but the 76 I bought was local, and not Bubba'ed. Good luck with your resto.
I think my first time being up close to one was the time my dad took us to an Air Force air show ! My Uncle Billy at the time was a major in the Air Force and they were doing this event and afterword my Uncle shows up in a brand new 62 convertible!

From that point it was on for me !

Mine wasn't bubba'ed at least not that I've found yet !

It was cannibalized ! Four people before me it was abandoned at a warehouse so it was missing a few things by the time I got it!

Thanks for the encouragement, stage two will be a full frame off but first some time in the saddle it being my first one!

Old 02-01-2018, 11:12 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

So now that everything has made it here I'll give a quick update on what's been going on !

That last couple weeks I've just been slammed at work with crazy deadlines to go with it ! At one point I was repainting a door and the drivers were starting the engine so they could leave as soon as I finished!

In the middle of all that came the opportunity to get some nice stuff for the Vette!

Here's a pic of the largest part of it ! I didn't remove the dash pad from the unopened bag ! Most everyone should know what a new one looks like ! Not sure what I'm going to do with the one for a 76 that I have yet but I think the one for a 77 is the one I'll use once the car is painted !

This last piece I'm still not sure I managed to be the guy that got it but I'm keeping it ! It also came with a two page document from GM that was sent out to recall them ! That went in the safe with the title to the car !

Anyway, here it is !

The red steering wheel is what was on it , the black one is one I bought from another member here !

When I bought the steering wheel at first I thought the button was going to be with it but it went with the column and all I had was the lock and the button with out an emblem and missing the piece to attach it to the wheel !

Can't wait to see it with the correct wheel !

Maybe by Saturday I'll be able to get back to sandblasting so I can get the brakes back on and working!

Last but not least I need to thank David Horward publicly for working with me and all the great deals he has given me over the last year but especially for making it possible for me to have such a rare piece for my car !

That's all I got for now , I'll see everyone again soon I hope!

Remember, chrome won't get you home but it just ain't cool if the chrome don't shine!

Get notified of new replies

To 77 build, Stage 1

Old 02-02-2018, 07:57 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

pay my way to Florida, and I will help with frame-off restro!!!! ITs COLD outside in MIssouri!!!!!
SPCL FX (02-13-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:57 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

So now that everything has made it here I'll give a quick update on what's been going on !

That last couple weeks I've just been slammed at work with crazy deadlines to go with it ! At one point I was repainting a door and the drivers were starting the engine so they could leave as soon as I finished!

In the middle of all that came the opportunity to get some nice stuff for the Vette!

Here's a pic of the largest part of it ! I didn't remove the dash pad from the unopened bag ! Most everyone should know what a new one looks like ! Not sure what I'm going to do with the one for a 76 that I have yet but I think the one for a 77 is the one I'll use once the car is painted !

This last piece I'm still not sure I managed to be the guy that got it but I'm keeping it ! It also came with a two page document from GM that was sent out to recall them ! That went in the safe with the title to the car !

Anyway, here it is !

The red steering wheel is what was on it , the black one is one I bought from another member here !

When I bought the steering wheel at first I thought the button was going to be with it but it went with the column and all I had was the lock and the button with out an emblem and missing the piece to attach it to the wheel !

Can't wait to see it with the correct wheel !

Maybe by Saturday I'll be able to get back to sandblasting so I can get the brakes back on and working!

Last but not least I need to thank David Horward publicly for working with me and all the great deals he has given me over the last year but especially for making it possible for me to have such a rare piece for my car !

That's all I got for now , I'll see everyone again soon I hope!

Remember, chrome won't get you home but it just ain't cool if the chrome don't shine!
I'm glad to hear that everything arrived in good shape Ray. You still have tunnel covers and the fan shroud coming soon with your brother's friends delivery. Let me know if you need any interior stuff and I'm sure we can help you there as well. I have listed the new parts and I'm working on listing my OEM parts today. Anyway, thanks for your purchases and have a great weekend.
David
SPCL FX (02-02-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

I haven't gotten a whole lot done lately being swamped at work so I thought I do something during my lunch times this week !

I figured that since this gets painted off the car anyway I'd paint it now !

So this is painted and cleared , sanded and cleared again and will get sanded one more time and then buffed !

Hopefully I'll get to do some more sandblasting tomorrow!

Quick Reply: 77 build, Stage 1