Sponsored by:

Ammeter

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:26 PM
cdj46
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ammeter

Does anyone know it a ammeter can be bench tested?
Thanks Chuck
Old 11-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by cdj46
Thanks Chuck
You're just checking it for continuity.
Ohm meter is all you need.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM
cdj46
Racer

Default Amp

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
You're just checking it for continuity.
Ohm meter is all you need.
When I start the car the meter goes to charge then to 0, however I am sure I am charging the bat.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:23 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Why not? Use a battery and a known load. Preferably adjustable resistor. If it is a 30 amp guage then you could get a 1 ohm resistor and two batteries in series = 24 volt that should read 24 amps on gauge. Then 12 volt battery with 1 ohm load - 12 amps etc. Then 12 ohm load and 12 volt battery= 1 amp.
If not sure go into an electronic shop and they should be able to do it for you.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:40 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

When I start the car the meter goes to charge then to 0, however I am sure I am charging the bat.
Can you explain more? How long before it goes back to "0"? If it is a few minutes that is pretty much what it is supposed to do. If it goes to a + charge and immediately falls back to "0" then something might be amiss. What happens if you turn on your headlights?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

As stated above that's what is should be doing.
When you first start the car the meter should read + for a bit until the drain on the battery from starting the car is replenished.
Once the battery is topped off the needle should sit right at/or just a bit to the right of center = 0.
If you turn on the head lights with the engine off you'll see the gauge deflect well into the negative - indicating that the battery is being discharged.

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 11-25-2017 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

To bench test your battery gauge:

Connect a ground to the top terminal and momemterally apply 12 volts to the bottom terminal,
Meter should deflect to minus.

Reverse the wires and the needle will deflect to positive.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The C3 Corvette ammeter is not a 'direct reading' gauge. In other words, it doesn't measure AMPS directly; it measures the voltage drop over a fixed length of the main power wire in the engine harness. If you send significant current into that gauge, you have a good chance of wasting it.

To test it, just use an ohmmeter to check that it is not "open circuit" or get a AAA battery and just make a very quick [touch] contact with the ammeter terminals to see that the meter has movement. Reverse the leads if you want to see it move in the other direction (but that isn't really necessary).

The ammeter is one of those gauges that either works...or it doesn't. It does have AMPS as the scale measure, but it actually 'reads' millivolts.

P.S. A wire of known type and size has a specific "resistance per foot" value. Knowing that value, one can calculate how far apart the ammeter leads need to be (wire then becomes a 'shunt' for the meter) when attached to that wire. Cheap, easy, and reasonably accurate for its intended purpose....

Last edited by 7T1vette; 11-26-2017 at 05:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ntfday (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 02:45 PM
cdj46
Racer

Default Amp

When I said 0 I was not correct the gauge goes to -40 sorry about that. When I did the AAA bat test the gauge goes to -40 when I reverse the wires nothing.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

When I said 0 I was not correct the gauge goes to -40 sorry about that. When I did the AAA bat test the gauge goes to -40 when I reverse the wires nothing.
If the gauge moves when you put the AAA battery on it then there's nothing wrong with the gauge.

-40 with the engine running means your battery is discharging.
Might want to verify that the alternator is in good working order (voltage regulator too depending on year).

NOTE: Would be helpful if we knew year model etc. when you post

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 11-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:06 PM
cdj46
Racer

Default Amp

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
If the gauge moves when you put the AAA battery on it then there's nothing wrong with the gauge.

-40 with the engine running means your battery is discharging.
Might want to verify that the alternator is in good working order (voltage regulator too depending on year).

NOTE: Would be helpful if we knew year model etc. when you post
69 sb with A/C I think the car is charging however I cant find my volt meter. The car was running for several hours and started fine after running. Will locate my volt meter and check the voltage at bat.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM
cdj46
Racer

Default Amp

Thanks Chuck
UP-date I checked the voltage at bat when car is running 14 V 12 V when not running. Voltage at the alternator is 15 V. My guess is faulty gauge? or could it be a bad ground to gauge cluster?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

UP-date I checked the voltage at bat when car is running 14 V 12 V when not running. Voltage at the alternator is 15 V. My guess is faulty gauge? or could it be a bad ground to gauge cluster?
You can quickly test your ground theory buy running a jumper wire (any wire really) from the negative bat post and touching it to a bare spot on the cluster.

BTW 15v at the alt is a bit high.
You might check that the sensing wire on the double plug at the back of the alt isn't broken and/or disconnected.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

If your ammeter is not showing a discharge with the engine running it is working properly. As with many gauges, except fuel and volts, center deflection is desirable. An ammeter, for all practical purposes, is monitoring system load while a voltmeter, in this case, is monitoring the alternator's charging ability.
In other words if you turn on the headlights, assuming the vehicle is running, a voltmeter might only flicker and the voltage will remain the same. The needle on an ammeter will increase slightly and remain there because of the added load.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:07 AM
cdj46
Racer

Default Amp

Originally Posted by ntfday
If your ammeter is not showing a discharge with the engine running it is working properly. As with many gauges, except fuel and volts, center deflection is desirable. An ammeter, for all practical purposes, is monitoring system load while a voltmeter, in this case, is monitoring the alternator's charging ability.
In other words if you turn on the headlights, assuming the vehicle is running, a voltmeter might only flicker and the voltage will remain the same. The needle on an ammeter will increase slightly and remain there because of the added load.
OK key off pointer is at -40 so when I turn the key on it stays at -40. Start the car pointer goes to ~ -10 then back to -40. If I move the pointer by hand to 0 it quickly goes to +40 or -40 depending on what side the pointer is from 0..
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
ntfday
Pro

OK key off pointer is at -40 so when I turn the key on it stays at -40. Start the car pointer goes to ~ -10 then back to -40. If I move the pointer by hand to 0 it quickly goes to +40 or -40 depending on what side the pointer is from 0..
That indicates to me that you have a direct short to ground. I would start by removing the negative battery cable and the disconnect that alternator wiring and reconnect the battery cable. If that solves the problem you have a bad alternator. If not pull the wiring off the starter solenoid and continue from there. Always pull the negative battery cable to keep from harming the battery and starting a fire.
Although uncommon, I have seen a solenoid short to ground internally, usually they show an open circuit when faulty.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:40 AM
cdj46
Racer

Default Amp

Originally Posted by ntfday
That indicates to me that you have a direct short to ground. I would start by removing the negative battery cable and the disconnect that alternator wiring and reconnect the battery cable. If that solves the problem you have a bad alternator. If not pull the wiring off the starter solenoid and continue from there. Always pull the negative battery cable to keep from harming the battery and starting a fire.
Although uncommon, I have seen a solenoid short to ground internally, usually they show an open circuit when faulty.
There are two small wires on solenoid not sure which to disconnect? And I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Get notified of new replies

To Ammeter

Old 11-28-2017, 11:43 AM
ntfday
Pro

There are two small wires on solenoid not sure which to disconnect? And I thank you for taking the time to respond.
Both, one is for start the other for run.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:39 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

From your description I would suspect the leads running from the alternator via the horn relay to the starter, and the parallel path used for the ammeter. It's a rather simple circuit so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to ascertain where the fault is. You can try wiggling the wires (gently) while the engine is running to see if you get an ammeter response, or some deflection. You can search for the fusible links to get an idea where to wiggle(gently). Just be ready to secure the engine and disconnect the battery in case you get some sort of direct short.

Here is a link for where the location of fusible links for my 68 are--in case it might help you:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...locations.html

Last edited by carriljc; 11-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:54 PM
ntfday
Pro

I missed this earlier. A bad ground at the gauge cluster has ne bearing here since neither side of the ammeter is at ground. Do you get a decent spark when you remove the negative battery cable? If so that is an indication of something at ground that shouldn't be.

Quick Reply: Ammeter