Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

You did not see this?

gateway-classic-cars (459 ) About gateway-classic-cars
77.5% Positive feedback

This is really a stand out low score!

That video takes the cake! Just when the camera is about to focus in on something they cut to sales pitch. Something is hanging off the bottom of the car and the panel fit looks bad. Man, I see a car that needs a full resto. Best of luck to you but anyone else looking for a collector car should run for the hills with an advertisement like that. Certainly do not fork over your hard earned dollars without physically seeing it or sending an expert. This has crooks written all over it.

Feedback From When
Negative feedback rating car has front end problems and carpet is not installed right wont refund 500 Buyer: r***a ( 1492Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) During past 6 months Feedback conversation
1934 Ford Other Coupe (#162662873282)
US $34,995.00
Best Offer Price was AcceptedThis item was listed in fixed price format with a Best Offer option. The seller accepted a Best Offer price. View Item
Negative feedback rating 5 pails of bondo electrical and driveability problems galore. Thank You!!! Buyer: t***p ( 215Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past 6 months Feedback conversation
1973 Plymouth Other -- (#162524086967)
US $43,995.00
Best Offer Price was AcceptedThis item was listed in fixed price format with a Best Offer option. The seller accepted a Best Offer price. View Item
Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.
Negative feedback rating Seller said whatever it took to sell. Description was inaccurate lots of issues Buyer: o***j ( 74Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99) During past year Feedback conversation
Reply by gateway-classic-cars (Jun-06-17 09:40):
We recommend all buyers inspect the vehicles before purchase.
1973 Plymouth Road Runner Tribute (#162247469804)
US $39,995.00
Best Offer Price was AcceptedThis item was listed in fixed price format with a Best Offer option. The seller accepted a Best Offer price.
Negative feedback rating Car is not the color advertised among many other problems. Buyer: t***g ( 216Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past year Feedback conversation
Car was advertised as Silver and it is Silver as the pictures and videos show.
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG (#162310203325)
US $18,995.00
Best Offer Price was AcceptedThis item was listed in fixed price format with a Best Offer option. The seller accepted a Best Offer price.
Negative feedback rating Ad said not be scared to drive it. Broke push rod and water leak in oil 120mile Buyer: t***l ( 260Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past year Feedback conversation
1955 Chevrolet Other Pickups -- (#162249395436)
US $43,995.00
Negative feedback rating The seller offered a price and doesn't want to sell on that price ! Buyer: a***m ( 1 ) During past year Feedback conversation
Reply by gateway-classic-cars (Jun-06-17 09:41):
We will sell at any price we agree to. I am not sure what exactly this is about.
1965 AC Cobra Replica (#162422708034)
US $63,000.00
Negative feedback rating No paper work 2 weeks. We need to get insurance ! Buyer: w***t ( 117Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past year Feedback conversation
Reply by gateway-classic-cars (Jun-06-17 09:42):
Dealers have 30 days to deliver final paperwork, we never miss that deadline.
1994 Chevrolet Corvette -- (#162419095312)
US $12,995.00
Negative feedback rating Never deal with unprofessional people like this! Requested cancel sale, SAID NO! Buyer: s***e ( 610Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999) During past year Feedback conversation
An offer through Ebay is an agreement to purchase. Please read the bylaws.
1972 Pontiac Bonneville Hearse (#162300741931)
US $13,995.00
Negative feedback rating LEMON! Bad Electrical System, Bad Stereo, 3 Flats & Rock chips Buyer: o***8 ( 318Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past year Feedback conversation
1996 Chevrolet Corvette -- (#162249028388)

Last edited by car junkie; 12-05-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:46 PM
bapmia
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some very desirable and expensive classics being serviced Flossmoor Family Auto in Flossmoor. Also, Camm's Classics in Homewood specializes in muscle cars, hot rods etc.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

The bottom of a well cared for car does not look like that. All rubber shot, bailing wire holding the exhaust, heavy rust. Get those kick panels off ASAP.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Definitely shiney side up.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes you probably overpaid, that includes a high percentage of people here including me.

Check out the birdcage and go from there, The birdcage is your backbone for the passenger compartment.

Jack
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

BUY BACK Guarantee?

If a car is bad enough, it could be a blessing to send it back and lose a couple grand on shipping than trying to right the situation by pouring money into it.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
BUY BACK Guarantee?

If a car is bad enough, it could be a blessing to send it back and lose a couple grand on shipping than trying to right the situation by pouring money into it.

.....and the more I look at those underside pictures the worse it looks. It sounds like you don't work on your own vehicles, so this could get quite expensive, quite fast for you.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Bailing wire and close up pic of rotted bushing....it's as if they are proud man!!

I really hope you can return this car, good luck.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Most definitely try to arrange to return that car and take whatever loss incurred. There's just SO much that will need attending to immediately and more as you drive it. It's a very shiny money pit !

Did you look carefully at the photos before buying? All of the faults and potential problems are presented pretty clearly in the pics and video.

Last edited by Team Evil; 12-06-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM
MR-SRL
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions, to busy working to be able to buy it that I didn't do my do diligence before buying it (how ironic), I can do another 3 grand to get it in better mechanical shape, gonna get some estimates to see how far that can take me. Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck then ! !
Old 12-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Prostreeter1
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MR-SRL
Thank you everyone for your honest opinions, to busy working to be able to buy it that I didn't do my do diligence before buying it (how ironic), I can do another 3 grand to get it in better mechanical shape, gonna get some estimates to see how far that can take me. Thanks again.

Good luck, man....hope it all works out for the least amount of money and you can have years of miles of smiles with that car. Don't give up.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
Bailing wire and close up pic of rotted bushing....it's as if they are proud man!!

I really hope you can return this car, good luck.
Bottom of their ad......... good luck.

All Vehicles are sold AS-IS.

This vehicle is being sold AS-IS, WHERE-IS, with no warranty, expressed, written or implied. Gateway Classic Cars and its affiliates shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, nor is responsible for any omissions or errors in advertising and therefore makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle, to their satisfaction to the condition and value, prior to purchase. Gateway Classic Cars and its affiliates shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Gateway Classic Cars and its affiliates assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle, post sale
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Why would someone spend all that time and $$ on the top half of the car and completely abuse and neglect the lower. Even if money was your sole motivating factor it does not make money it does not make any sense!!!! Ike
Old 12-07-2017, 04:41 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

A while back I read some reviews on the Showroom they have in Florida. People were blasting them on some stuff which I thought was buyer beware kind of things. Gateway replied with some help with the purchases. Doesn't hurt to try.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

Car was advertised at around 25k$.. don't know what the OP and seller finally negotiated.

You have to factor in that this is a decent price for a great paint great interior chrome bumper convertible.
also realize that if it was pristine with doc and new suspension, zero rust, exhaust, shiney engine compartment and underside, lots more replaceables that were replaced, then the asking price would have been much higher.. well into the 30's

except for an outstanding rust question, I don't think he overpaid. he might have paid a 'retail' price, but that is true whenever you negotiate with a dealer.

a lot of forum members comment that the car should be returned as the OP was somehow cheated. but what exactly is his monetary damage? he should have got a lots better car for the 20-25k ?

20-25K will get you a medium condition chrome bumper convertible with some issues. a better condition, no excuses car will cost him 35K.. continue to add to that for better condition, originality, provenance, rare options etc...

good luck to the OP, channel the money and grief you would spend to reverse the transaction into fixing the car.. it's really all you can do.

unless the frame and birdcage are toast. then you really have to just take the hit, dump the car for what you can get out of it, learn from the experience and go find a better one.

Or perhaps spend the money and grief to force the dealer to reverse the transaction.
the car was sold AS IS with all that small print, but it might have been sold in bad faith.
with the right lawyer and evidence, you can prove a bad faith transaction. especially with a dealer. a dealer is compelled to do a good faith transaction lots more than a private seller.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill

Or perhaps spend the money and grief to force the dealer to reverse the transaction.
the car was sold AS IS with all that small print, but it might have been sold in bad faith.
with the right lawyer and evidence, you can prove a bad faith transaction. especially with a dealer. a dealer is compelled to do a good faith transaction lots more than a private seller.
You bring up a good point, but when all then issues being identified and discussed are from the photos that were in the ad, I'm not sure how a "bad faith" transaction would fly.

Hopefully for the OP, the bird cage is fine, and he can slowly clean up the underside issues as he enjoys the car.

Allan

Quick Reply: Newbie overpaid for a 68 looking for a repair shop So. Chgo Burbs