Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's a numbers match motor, so what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't let anyone convince you one way or the other by talking "value". It's an imaginary number. Market value fluctuates from transaction to transaction on these cars. It's max "value" is what a willing and able buyer is paying for it that day.

(Just my opinion. I come from a realty background. Possibly the biggest "value" volatile market)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The13Bats

But some cat grabs a 74 75 76 77? Builds a modest restomod and the cars value is more than it would be restored in stock configuration and the market is larger...

People love a good head turner.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There is nothing 'special' about the engine being the one actually built with the car.... IF the rest of the car has been highly altered or modified.

When you find a car that has the original engine AND trans AND engine accessories AND drivetrain AND interior..... then you have a survivor. And if that is all in good condition, then you can start asking for premium money. Just because the engine is the one that the car was built with...not so much. Folks will appreciate having that feature, but they won't pay extra for it.
7T1vette, I gather from reading all the posts in this thread that a numbers matching engine is not that important to MOST corvette owners or prospective owners, but what about a numbers matching engine in a 1978 Indy Pace Car which I have. The engine has been modified to produce more than 300 horsepower but it is the same engine that came in the car from the factory with matching numbers on the block. Wouldn't this collectable Corvette be worth much less if it did not have a numbers matching engine? If it were a Plain Jane 78 Corvette I could understand why the value of the car would not be affected that much if the engine were not original but I would think that the opposite should be true in the case of a 78 Pace Car. Would you agree or not? Also, curious what others think about this particular case.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by golfboy
7T1vette, I gather from reading all the posts in this thread that a numbers matching engine is not that important to MOST corvette owners or prospective owners, but what about a numbers matching engine in a 1978 Indy Pace Car which I have. The engine has been modified to produce more than 300 horsepower but it is the same engine that came in the car from the factory with matching numbers on the block. Wouldn't this collectable Corvette be worth much less if it did not have a numbers matching engine? If it were a Plain Jane 78 Corvette I could understand why the value of the car would not be affected that much if the engine were not original but I would think that the opposite should be true in the case of a 78 Pace Car. Would you agree or not? Also, curious what others think about this particular case.
My opinion which is weird and worth zero,

A purist who insists on numbers matching engine that has been rebuilt or hopped up so no longer actually orginal in a way is a hypocrite,

I love pace cars but if yours was sitting next to one exact condition only difference is your has respectable hp
And the other is anemic stock i personally wouldnt even consider the stock one...
The following users liked this post:
golfboy (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:26 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
A purist who insists on numbers matching engine that has been rebuilt or hopped up so no longer actually original in a way is a hypocrite,
Depends upon why the numbers are deemed important.

Excluding restamps, it only means this particular engine block was installed in this car at time of manufacture. For some that's enough. One of only a few parts which can be proven to be the original.

Odd how a non matching number frame isn't considered to be much of an issue to many. Major component which can be tied to a particular vehicle.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default x10

Originally Posted by mci5c
do a crate motor
keep this aside.
good luck
Many years ago I was a Corvette appraiser.
My rule is simple....if you can un-bolt it AND you disclose and give that part to the new customer (entire tired engine) NO FOUL!

Smog pumps and alternators and engines and tranmissions etc all fall under this rule.

Wanna CRY....Dealership got a 63 Splitty in...Wrong color (okay-ish)
HUGE FENDERFLARES bondo'd and bolted on....MEGA FAIL!
HOLE cut in hood....more mega fail.
I priced it at HALF of what a down-trodden splitty would've brought.

Cant unbolt that abortion.

unckahal
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckySeventySeven
... I want the next motor to not leak like a stuck pig. It's a big pet peeves of mine...
Good luck with that with an old Chevy.
LuckySeventySeven (12-31-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:22 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
Many years ago I was a Corvette appraiser.
My rule is simple....if you can un-bolt it AND you disclose and give that part to the new customer (entire tired engine) NO FOUL!

Smog pumps and alternators and engines and tranmissions etc all fall under this rule.

Wanna CRY....Dealership got a 63 Splitty in...Wrong color (okay-ish)
HUGE FENDERFLARES bondo'd and bolted on....MEGA FAIL!
HOLE cut in hood....more mega fail.
I priced it at HALF of what a down-trodden splitty would've brought.

Cant unbolt that abortion.

unckahal
Half of what a crappy c2 would fetch?,
All c2s fetch good money these days some less than others but zero bargains,
From the way it sounds
You gave away a modded c2 because of mostly some personal biases,
Someone was thrilled on that split score for cheap....
Old 12-07-2017, 04:54 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Consider a BB 502 or 496 crate , put the old engine in storage.
Bfit
Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by golfboy
Also, curious what others think about this particular case.
I think it has value for a very small market. So you would need a ready, willing, able buyer that happens to find that specific quality of high value. Not many of those in the real world unfortunately.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. (And no. Not the Beholder in Dungeons and Dragons)

-Stroke
Old 12-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,937 Likes on 4,779 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

that block is a great core. build it up and keep the stamp pad intact. and give those heads to a fisherman for a new anchor
LuckySeventySeven (12-31-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So I guess the market determines value after all? Apparently, there were just over 6500 ‘78 pace cars and many are likely still left as they were special edition cars and were coveted as collectible at the time. In my case, I have a ‘75 convertible which is one of just over 4600 produced but is not regarded as too collectible because of the anemic L48 and were probably treated as such leaving who knows how many. My car has the original engine, trans, carb, distributor, is the first year for HEI and the last year for a c3 convertible and astrovent. Also 4 speed, power windows, tilt/tele, map light and manual brakes. Lots of possible double digit option production combinationscombinations? At the end of the day, the very nicest ‘75 convertibles ask 20K-ish, but they sit unsold where collector editions and any chrome bumper small block c3, even in poor condition at higher production numbers are highly sought after. I love my car and bought it on the cheap not knowing anything about production numbers (at the time) but knowing what I know now, the corvette world and who considers what valuable still eludes me as there does not seem to be any direct correlation between market value and number of available units. Not a gripe, just an observation on how screwy our collective community is. I’ll leave the floodgates open.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:50 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the car has been sitting, the motor on the stand and I had not touched it for quite a while. Today I finally finished cleaning the gunk and threads off all the bolts that came off the motor. The engine compartment scrubbed on to the point that I just cannot get to the left over nooks without removing the body. I spun the crank around and see cast # 3932442 and has "NF" on the second to last journal.

Isn't this what you call a "Nodular Forged" crank? Looks cast to me. Surely it would not mean "Not Forged"

Last edited by LuckySeventySeven; 12-31-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Add pics

Quick Reply: It's a numbers match motor, so what?