C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somebody SAVE this 69 TriPower Big Block 4spd please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:57 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
The only way this makes any sense is if someone already had the exact opposite car and could merge the two. A L71 with good frame and birdcage but missing driveline and trim.

How about a base model with corresponding date build numbers to work with the drivetrain in this rusted hulk.

I wonder if anyone who bid actually went to see the car.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:01 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
I would have lost money if I'd bet on the sale price of this car. I expected around half this number.
$6K plus 23% buyer's fee, plus shipping/transport, somebody's going to have close to $10K wrapped up up in this car before it hits their driveway
....and that's if the bidding stopped at $6K.

Oh well, I hope they find a way to get it (or most of it) back on the road.
Only way this makes sense is if there may be a VIN transfer planned. I don't see $6K+ worth of parts, not enough profit to make any money parting it out. If the drive train were transferred, presented honestly, it's a NOM, doubt there's much profit there either. Cost to honestly repair this exact vehicle would be prohibitive.

Wonder what the VIN# is, was it listed? Look for it sometime later on...
Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Only way this makes sense is if there may be a VIN transfer planned. I don't see $6K+ worth of parts, not enough profit to make any money parting it out. If the drive train were transferred, presented honestly, it's a NOM, doubt there's much profit there either. Cost to honestly repair this exact vehicle would be prohibitive.

Wonder what the VIN# is, was it listed? Look for it sometime later on...
I disagree that the car is not worth over the total of $7500 in parts which is what the buying price would be with the auction commission. Probably quite a bit more. Here is how I see it with fair prices of parts if rebuildable.

intake manifold....................$1000-1500 if undamaged.
The seats and rails...............$400
The hood............................$500.
Headlight mechanisms..........$400
original seat belts.................$200
original alternator................$500
Possible original distributor....$600
Possible original starter.........$300
Original transmission............$700
Original L71 block................$2000
Original heads maybe............$600
Steering wheel....................$100
Original carburetors.............$400
Horns are probably original...$100
Original rear end.........
Original radiator........
Custom mags........
Front end bracings and brackets
Engine brackets
Expansion tank
Various body panel parts
Side and rear glass
The list goes on.

People do not realize how much money in parts are in the car when you add up all the little things. Even nuts and bolts with original headmarks will be worth money.

When done over time and the work removing parts this car could be well get over the money paid for it. However, it looks like someone on the forum bought it with the intention of rebuilding it. If he does I think he will soon learn it was a mistake. Hopefully for his sake I'm wrong. But if I'm not, hopefully he will share his experience with those who think its a good idea to do the same thing.......

Last edited by ed427vette; 12-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree!

Priya, when this type of work is undertaken it is always with the intent of presenting the car as correct/original. They don't usually keep a photo log of the process. Otherwise it would be totally counterproductive for them to do the rebuild in the first place. After all, nobody wants to know their lovely wife used to be a *****.
I appreciate your strong ethical view on this subject, if more felt as you do this probably wouldn't happen. But this is real world stuff and the money is just too enticing for some.
Greg
"After all, nobody wants to know their lovely wife used to be a *****."

Really funny, and yes agree with you Greg, all about money for these greedy people with no morals. That is the real world for many and why I really think you really need to know a whole lot about the seller, history, documentation, etc. before you pay extra for matching numbers.

And I also think these thieves are not interested in fooling the experts on here, their goal is to fool a chump into thinking they are getting a bargain before anybody else finds it. "you found and bought a big block 69 tri power for how much???....dang that is really cheeep, dude! you the man!!!"
Greg (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 03:27 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

One word on the VIN transfer: FRAUD

At these prices, you could easily end up in jail...
Old 12-17-2017, 04:09 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
I disagree that the car is not worth over the total of $7500 in parts which is what the buying price would be with the auction commission. Probably quite a bit more. Here is how I see it with fair prices of parts if rebuildable.

intake manifold....................$1000-1500 if undamaged.
The seats and rails...............$400
The hood............................$500.
Headlight mechanisms..........$400
original seat belts.................$200
original alternator................$500
Possible original distributor....$600
Possible original starter.........$300
Original transmission............$700
Original L71 block................$2000
Original heads maybe............$600
Steering wheel....................$100
Original carburetors.............$400
Horns are probably original...$100
Original rear end.........
Original radiator........
Custom mags........
Front end bracings and brackets
Engine brackets
Expansion tank
Various body panel parts
Side and rear glass
The list goes on.

People do not realize how much money in parts are in the car when you add up all the little things. Even nuts and bolts with original headmarks will be worth money.

When done over time and the work removing parts this car could be well get over the money paid for it. However, it looks like someone on the forum bought it with the intention of rebuilding it. If he does I think he will soon learn it was a mistake. Hopefully for his sake I'm wrong. But if I'm not, hopefully he will share his experience with those who think its a good idea to do the same thing.......
I hope you're right, car either bought for legitimate restoration or for parts.

Why would an original L71 block be worth $2k? Curious, it's still non matching in any other car, a NOM. Same for the transmission, something unusual about it?
Old 12-17-2017, 04:25 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Why would an original L71 block be worth $2k? Curious, it's still non matching in any other car, a NOM. Same for the transmission, something unusual about it?
The transmission if original would be an M20 or M21 which would be $700 or so regardless if it had a Corvette vin stamp or not. Its just worth that much.

The engine block is also something I think that it could just sell for regardless of it being just for a Corvette but somebody restoring a "correct" L71 wanted to they might buy a close engine block for a more correct resto. However, since if it IS a L71 block, then I think it might be worth something. I guessed 2k but I could be wrong. I never bought one but have seen sellers asking more, don't really know what it could sell for.

And there is still way more parts that could sell I didn't list and for good money. Such as:

Seat belt guides..........$100
Dash pads........
Gauges........$100
Gauge bezel......$50
Fan shroud.......$200-300
Transistorized ign amp......
Rear compartment doors.....
Rear compartment tray....$100
Jack if there......$200-300

It all adds up.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Most of those parts are not going to be worth anything that are listed. Look at the rust in the birdcage. The seatbelts are toast, the seat frame are toast. The carbs, when they are cleaned up there will not be enough left of them to make a nice carb out of. You have a block and you are assuming it is not damaged, why was it parked for 30 years becomes the question because in the 80's everyone knew what these cars were then. They were already starting to increase in value big time. Rear compartment tray? They break on nice cars and they are cheap new why would you even try and remove. I have to see one of these cars die and I hope someone buys it to restore out of the love of the car, but it's not worth much sitting as it is. Most of those parts are going to be junk because of the amount of corrosion.
73racevette (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 11:18 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Most of those parts are not going to be worth anything that are listed. Look at the rust in the birdcage. The seatbelts are toast, the seat frame are toast. The carbs, when they are cleaned up there will not be enough left of them to make a nice carb out of. You have a block and you are assuming it is not damaged, why was it parked for 30 years becomes the question because in the 80's everyone knew what these cars were then. They were already starting to increase in value big time. Rear compartment tray? They break on nice cars and they are cheap new why would you even try and remove. I have to see one of these cars die and I hope someone buys it to restore out of the love of the car, but it's not worth much sitting as it is. Most of those parts are going to be junk because of the amount of corrosion.
I just don't agree.

The birdcage would not be for sale.......

You are pretty good if you can tell the seat belts and seat frames are toast from your computer screen. The seat frames are covered and probably just fine. They are not going to be rusted to dust as if they were sitting outside exposed with no material on them.

Seat belts do not rust. The material will sell just for the date codes which are hidden under the seats or in the plastic liners. The repro labels are not accurate. The metal parts would be replaced if needed.

The "new" compartment trays are 5 inches in depth. Originals are 6-1/4. That makes all the difference in the world to someone who cares are correctness. I am restoring my cars to original production, which requires original parts that need to be reconditioned. Repro parts are almost NEVER correct in shape and are used for last resort situations only.

I have bought so many parts over the last 5 years alone that came right out of cars that looked just like this one. And all the parts can be reconditioned and usable. This is why im insisting that these parts WILL sell if the buyer wants to sell them. I'm sure some may be damaged, but when you start getting into restoring these things it gets surprising what can be restored. In some cases its the ONLY way to get a correct looking piece as the repros are just horrible. Some parts are not reproduced at all.

I'll put my money were my mouth is. The buyer is a forum member. If he wants to sell some of these parts to me, I'll buy them if the dates are close to what I need. Some parts I'll just buy to have. I already put it out there.

As for why the car sat? Something is broke on it. Even if the block is cracked in half there is still plenty of parts that will sell. Just ask the guys on this board that actually do this for a living.

Either way, hopefully the buyer will keep us posted and we will see who is right.

Last edited by ed427vette; 12-18-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Ed,
I have probably parted 500+ Corvettes so I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking at right there. The seat belts themselves do not rust, but you would not want to use the belt material but you could save the tag. What are the retractors and buckles made of though? seat frames and tracks, those are done on that car, look at the way all the metal is rusted, they did not survive that. The engine would be worth good money even if is locked up. I'm pretty sure that is a 512 block. The rest is unfortuantly probably lost, trans and diff maybe good cores, but not much coming out of that car. If it were even with the 28% buyers premium I would buy the car.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:03 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Ed,
I have probably parted 500+ Corvettes so I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking at right there. The seat belts themselves do not rust, but you would not want to use the belt material but you could save the tag. What are the retractors and buckles made of though? seat frames and tracks, those are done on that car, look at the way all the metal is rusted, they did not survive that. The engine would be worth good money even if is locked up. I'm pretty sure that is a 512 block. The rest is unfortuantly probably lost, trans and diff maybe good cores, but not much coming out of that car. If it were even with the 28% buyers premium I would buy the car.
Hopefully the buyer will keep us updated to see who is right. I am curious to see how good or bad the parts are.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Does anyone know if a CF member bought this car?
....or are they keeping it all hush, hush?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Does anyone know if a CF member bought this car?
....or are they keeping it all hush, hush?
Member mdomzi bought it. He started a thread about the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by ed427vette:
7t2vette (12-19-2017), Greg (12-18-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Member mdomzi bought it. He started a thread about the car.
Fyi, it's mdonzi.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Name like that, he knows big blocks. But he is used to Don Aronow's bodies instead of Zora Duntov's.
mdonzi (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Member mdonzi bought it. He started a thread about the car.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I realize I'm way late to this thread, but does anyone have a link to Mdzoni's thread of the vert?

Get notified of new replies

To Somebody SAVE this 69 TriPower Big Block 4spd please!!!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by KenMathisHD
I realize I'm way late to this thread, but does anyone have a link to Mdzoni's thread of the vert?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1969-l71.html

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ty!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
I'm curious what a shop would charge for a complete birdcage replacement, anyone have that done?
A friend had it done on a 63 FI coupe. It was not easy, but it can be done.

Quick Reply: Somebody SAVE this 69 TriPower Big Block 4spd please!!!