Sponsored by:

Need Help Rad Support Lower Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Need Help Rad Support Lower Brackets

I'm hoping someone might have some insight in to my situ....

71 350 base, Auto no A/C. 26 1/2 inch wide (centre of cradle mounts)

I am attempting to repair my rusted rad support and would like to replace the lower radiator mounts.

This is what I have.........

There appears to be three components, the cradle, the lower triangle mount and the bolt/flange....after a lot of searching this is the only part I can find.....

I know my car has had front end repairs in its early life and the possibility exists that the complete rad support is from a different year.

So...anyoneone have a source for this complete bracket/support or maybe confirmation this is from a 71????

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

You have everything you need except the rubber grommets that sit inside the bracket. They hold the rad tight in place. If you can just measure your rad at the point of contact, you can cut some yourself out of rubber. I made some for my new aluminum radiator in the same way. I can dig up some pics if you don’t understand what I’m saying.

-Stroke
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
You have everything you need except the rubber grommets that sit inside the bracket. They hold the rad tight in place. If you can just measure your rad at the point of contact, you can cut some yourself out of rubber. I made some for my new aluminum radiator in the same way. I can dig up some pics if you don’t understand what I’m saying.

-Stroke
Stroke
I have the rubber. Hard to see from the picture I took, but once I finished blasting the bracket there is only about 1/2 of it left...Swiss cheese, lots of rust. My preference is to replace everything if I can get all the parts.
Steve
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

From pics of replacement core supports on ebay, it appears that the mount/cradle/and bolt flange all come as part of the core support. From the looks of that piece in your pic, I can't imagine that your core support doesn't need replacing anyway?

If you're trying to save your core support, you may need to locate donor "triangle mount"s or fabricate your own.
The following users liked this post:
Norm07 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:03 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Did you look at Dr. Rebuild. I saw some lower radiator mounts when going through there catalog. Don't remember what years it was for. T
I also saved a core support for the large radiator. The top is trash, but the reason I saved it was that the bottom is excellent. I have no use for it.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

paragon and volunteer vettes
Old 12-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
Did you look at Dr. Rebuild. I saw some lower radiator mounts when going through there catalog. Don't remember what years it was for. T
I also saved a core support for the large radiator. The top is trash, but the reason I saved it was that the bottom is excellent. I have no use for it.
PM Sent
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
paragon and volunteer vettes
They both have the saddle but no listing for the other two parts

Terry6t8roadster pointed me towards Doc Rebuild. Found the triangle piece, only a description no picture ( had to search for it)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Isn't the whole radiator support shot? I would think that you would need a whole new support. The bottoms rust out first. The company that I worked for in maintenance, MTD made all of the Corvette radiator supports. I might have a couple of those somewhere, but can't promise anything.
I can't think of their name off hand, but a company in Ohio got the GM support dies and they make and sell the supports. They might sell you the three spot welded parts. Lou.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by loup68
Isn't the whole radiator support shot? I would think that you would need a whole new support. The bottoms rust out first. The company that I worked for in maintenance, MTD made all of the Corvette radiator supports. I might have a couple of those somewhere, but can't promise anything.
I can't think of their name off hand, but a company in Ohio got the GM support dies and they make and sell the supports. They might sell you the three spot welded parts. Lou.
I think the company you are thinking of is Coffman in Mansfield Ohio. Just doing a bit of research on new supports.

10 minutes in the blast cabinet and the rust is much worse than I initially saw. It must have been some good thick paint holding the rust in place.

The bottom is just as ugly. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

That's what you get for sandblasting the paint off. Now I guess you need to put some paint back on there make it good as new.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

I don't want to upset the apple cart but the radiator core support is a structural member.

I would replace the entire support as the pictures show a lot of rust. If the "good" areas are internally rusted they may be thinner and cause a lot of problems down the road.

Just saying, I would replace the entire core support - Wilcox, Ricks Corvette, Paragon...etc. all supply them.

It may cost a few bucks but may prove to be a wise investment.

My 71 core support was rusted - only on the bottom in the center - I replaced it. When I cut the rusted support the metal on the inside of the sides was really thin and corroded. The outside looked good.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 12-13-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: hate auto spell
Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Yes, most people do not realize how important the radiator core support is, being the only thing aligning and supporting the front fiberglass. It also has to be spot welded with special jigs to ensure that it is perfectly straight to catch the six inner fender bolts. Lou.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Rad Support Lower Brackets

Quick Reply: Need Help Rad Support Lower Brackets