Sponsored by:

PSlow's '72 Restomod Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
I think tonight is going to be a BBQ and Bourbon night...
Now that sounds like a darn good idea! Great work as usual. Did you ever get that headlight part you needed?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

You accomplish more "stalled-out" than I accomplish with a fool-proof plan
The following users liked this post:
Puniphorous (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:19 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3
Now that sounds like a darn good idea! Great work as usual. Did you ever get that headlight part you needed?
Oh, no. I had completely forgotten about it. Since the weather is nice I am trying to focus on all of the things that I can only do outside so the headlight assembly has been sitting for a bit.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
You accomplish more "stalled-out" than I accomplish with a fool-proof plan
Haha, hardly! You need to remember that I cannot do anything else with my day so I have lots of time on my hands...
Old 06-08-2019, 07:18 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Another busy day. I got the steering linkage all installed and then this happened...

Name:  H1B8iZcl.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  90.9 KB

Since it has been on an engine stand I was unable to install the RAM billet flywheel until now. That sure is a pretty part...

Name:  rMhBDi2l.jpg
Size:  65.7 KB

Tomorrow will be clutch install and bellhousing alignment. With any luck I will also be able to get the transmission installed. Right now I have the engine still on the hoist but I also have it resting on a jack stand in the rear so as to not put undue stress on the engine cradle.
doorgunner (06-08-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Ugh, not much got done in the last few days. I came down with a very nasty cold which has left me unwilling to do much of anything. I am still under the weather but finally managed to drag my sorry butt off of the couch and do some work today, albeit not a lot.

I need to do the bellhousing alignment so I began by fabricating up a bracket to hold my dial indicator in place on the crankshaft, like so.

Name:  qH4oQIHl.jpg
Size:  70.1 KB

After that I got the actual bell housing installed onto the block

Name:  rBpuW2fl.jpg
Size:  81.5 KB

The next step is to take the actual front cover of the transmission and bolt it up to the bell housing. This will allow me to use the mainshaft bearing race as the 'constant' for measuring my bell housing alignment. I got the cover removed from the transmission however it was pretty grungy on the inside so I spent some time trying to get it as clean as I could and then I ran out of time.

Oh, and just in case anyone actually wants to see what a T56 looks like on the inside... there is a surprising amount of space.

Name:  OOWKkPYl.jpg
Size:  80.2 KB

The good news is that everything in there looks great. Nice and clean and all the gears and dogs have minimal to no signs of wear. I was told that the car only had 25k miles on it that this transmission came out of but who really knows? In any case, it made a lot of sense to use the front cover for alignment purposes so that it is exact but also because I had intended on replacing the input and output shaft seals as a preventative measure so I would have to take the front cover off anyway.

More to come tomorrow...
gleninsandiego (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:13 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Looking good Michael
Nice find with that video.
Are you changing any of the traditionally weak aspects of the T56, especially the aluminum shifter fork and the plastic keys vs the solid steel fork and brass bushings?
While you are there?
How are you addressing the offset location of the shifter to match up with the stock location of the F body vs the Corvette shifter location?
I'll be watching as you continue at warp speed.
Good luck with a speedy recovery.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

"Ugh, not much got done in the last few days. I came down with a very nasty cold which has left me unwilling to do much of anything. I am still under the weather but finally managed to drag my sorry butt off of the couch and do some work today, albeit not a lot."

The same here......day 4 of YUK!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:07 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Looking good Michael
Nice find with that video.
Are you changing any of the traditionally weak aspects of the T56, especially the aluminum shifter fork and the plastic keys vs the solid steel fork and brass bushings?
While you are there?
How are you addressing the offset location of the shifter to match up with the stock location of the F body vs the Corvette shifter location?
I'll be watching as you continue at warp speed.
Good luck with a speedy recovery.
I am not planning on going into the transmission at this time, other than the seals. Even a 'weak' T56 is still a strong trans, it has very low mileage, and honestly the car will be mostly a cruiser for me so I am willing to accept the risk. I may change my mind before I get the body back on the frame but for now I am just going to install it so that I can get the crossmember set up for it.

As for the offset shifter, I already have a billet shifter sitting in one of my many parts bins.

Not much warp speed happening here sadly. This cold is still kicking my butt and I have plans for this weekend so I am basically losing the entire week.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
"Ugh, not much got done in the last few days. I came down with a very nasty cold which has left me unwilling to do much of anything. I am still under the weather but finally managed to drag my sorry butt off of the couch and do some work today, albeit not a lot."

The same here......day 4 of YUK!
I hope that you are feeling better DG. Some improvement here but still very much under the weather.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not planning on going into the transmission at this time, other than the seals. Even a 'weak' T56 is still a strong trans, it has very low mileage, and honestly the car will be mostly a cruiser for me so I am willing to accept the risk. I may change my mind before I get the body back on the frame but for now I am just going to install it so that I can get the crossmember set up for it.

As for the offset shifter, I already have a billet shifter sitting in one of my many parts bins.

Not much warp speed happening here sadly. This cold is still kicking my butt and I have plans for this weekend so I am basically losing the entire week.

I hope that you are feeling better DG. Some improvement here but still very much under the weather.
Glad to see you back on your feet Michael.
I hear you about the T56 trans. I have a serious case of "while-I-am-it-itis" which explains why my projects take so long. I have 2 T56s for my 2 projects so I figure to tear them both down while I learn how to beef them up. Lots of great videos out there and suppliers of improved parts. That will be next after the engine is done and the frame is back from the powdercoater. I have a Gary Ramadei Super 10 for my personal project and he is doing a beefed up diff for this one later this Fall. I can't do it all.....
Looking forward to your progress......

Btw...where did you get the offset shifter? I saw one like that on ebay listed for the 93-95 F body I think. Most others do a cut and weld of a stock T56 shifter to make it fit the offset needed for our cars.

Last edited by bmans vette; 06-15-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Btw...where did you get the offset shifter? I saw one like that on ebay listed for the 93-95 F body I think. Most others do a cut and weld of a stock T56 shifter to make it fit the offset needed for our cars.
It came with the transmission when I bought it (from someone who was doing a t56 conversion in a C3) so I am not entirely sure however I believe it is a McLeod. Summit sells them.
bmans vette (06-20-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:54 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Been very slow here. It has been raining here non-stop and I am also in the middle of a bathroom remodel which is taking what little working time that I have available to use my hands. The only real news is that I finally got the offset dowels after dialing in my bell housing so I hope to get that installed later today and get the transmission into the frame.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

That's how it is here. I just took 3 days in a row off to rest my spine and get over the cold/whatever it was
Do what you can when you feel able.
PainfullySlow (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Been away a while. Glad to see you are back in the saddle!
Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM
LINY Kevin
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm still checking back daily.... Your post has helped me tremendously in my frame off. Thanks for documenting all of this. I find it hard enough to just find the time to work on mine, let alone trying to document like the way you do.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:46 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default What's new?

Hey Michael,
Been 3 months since your last update.
Hope all is well.
Give us an update.
Finally getting a little cooler here. I'll be trying to make some serious progress this Fall.
Take care buddy...
doorgunner (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 05:50 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Michael,
Been 3 months since your last update.
Hope all is well.
Give us an update.
Finally getting a little cooler here. I'll be trying to make some serious progress this Fall.
Take care buddy...
Same here PSlow
The following 2 users liked this post by doorgunner:
bmans vette (10-03-2019), SPCL FX (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 07:23 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm with them , hoping all is well !

Get notified of new replies

To PSlow's '72 Restomod Project

Old 12-18-2019, 09:54 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pacha
Great project!
I am on the same painfully slow route myself, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as I am working on the interior as the exterior is "almost" complete.
I Will change the stock seats as they lack any kind of lateral supprt. I like Cypher seats I think the complement our cars but in the mock up I did the upper back seat was to wide to fit in a C3.
Did you have a chance to test fit them in the car with the full interior?
Regards,
I’m slightly confused here ! Are you asking a question to me or to painfully slow ?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Pacha
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These showed up recently. I am still torn because I love the RX8 seats that I recovered but in the end, safety won out. Since the car is lacking all the modern safety equipment I wanted to go with a seat that I could install a 4pt harness. Additionally the RX8 requires a modification to the center console which I just did not want to deal with at this time. I will keep them as a backup if for whatever reason I decide that I do not like the new ones, I will have something that I can drop in pretty quickly.

I did some digging, read lots of reviews and talked to a few people. In the end I went with these Cipher seats. Not the top of the line for sure but for the price they are outstanding. They fit my budget and I got them at a price that simply could not be beat. Apparently no one likes the black with orange but it fits my orange/black theme perfectly so I got them for a steal.

I went over every inch of these things and I have to say there is not a single stitch out of place. I am super impressed with the workmanship on these.
Great project!
I am on the same painfully slow route myself, but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel as I am working on the interior as the exterior is "almost" complete.
I Will change the stock seats as they lack any kind of lateral supprt. I like Cypher seats I think the complement our cars but in the mock up I did the upper back seat was to wide to fit in a C3.
Regards,
Old 12-23-2019, 08:13 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pacha
Great project!
Regards,
Michael’s last post was back in June and at the time he was working on remodeling in his house !
He was also being told by his doctors that he had more damage to his arms from a motorcycle accident than they previously thought causing a lot of pain !
Hopefully we will see him post again in the coming new year !
In the meantime why not start a thread on your restoration here in the general section !
Make sure you post lots of pictures because everyone here loves them !

P.S. If your reading this Michael Happy New Year and you too Pacha !

Last edited by SPCL FX; 12-23-2019 at 08:21 AM.
bmans vette (12-23-2019)

Quick Reply: PSlow's '72 Restomod Project