Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSlow's '72 Restomod Project

Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 PM
chazde3
CF Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
I think tonight is going to be a BBQ and Bourbon night...
Now that sounds like a darn good idea! Great work as usual. Did you ever get that headlight part you needed?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 755 Posts

You accomplish more "stalled-out" than I accomplish with a fool-proof plan
The following users liked this post:
Puniphorous (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:19 AM
PainfullySlow
CF Senior Member

Received 329 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3 View Post
Now that sounds like a darn good idea! Great work as usual. Did you ever get that headlight part you needed?
Oh, no. I had completely forgotten about it. Since the weather is nice I am trying to focus on all of the things that I can only do outside so the headlight assembly has been sitting for a bit.

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
You accomplish more "stalled-out" than I accomplish with a fool-proof plan
Haha, hardly! You need to remember that I cannot do anything else with my day so I have lots of time on my hands...
Old 06-08-2019, 07:18 PM
PainfullySlow
CF Senior Member

Another busy day. I got the steering linkage all installed and then this happened...

Since it has been on an engine stand I was unable to install the RAM billet flywheel until now. That sure is a pretty part...

Tomorrow will be clutch install and bellhousing alignment. With any luck I will also be able to get the transmission installed. Right now I have the engine still on the hoist but I also have it resting on a jack stand in the rear so as to not put undue stress on the engine cradle.
doorgunner (06-08-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 PM
PainfullySlow
CF Senior Member

Ugh, not much got done in the last few days. I came down with a very nasty cold which has left me unwilling to do much of anything. I am still under the weather but finally managed to drag my sorry butt off of the couch and do some work today, albeit not a lot.

I need to do the bellhousing alignment so I began by fabricating up a bracket to hold my dial indicator in place on the crankshaft, like so.

After that I got the actual bell housing installed onto the block

The next step is to take the actual front cover of the transmission and bolt it up to the bell housing. This will allow me to use the mainshaft bearing race as the 'constant' for measuring my bell housing alignment. I got the cover removed from the transmission however it was pretty grungy on the inside so I spent some time trying to get it as clean as I could and then I ran out of time.

Oh, and just in case anyone actually wants to see what a T56 looks like on the inside... there is a surprising amount of space.

The good news is that everything in there looks great. Nice and clean and all the gears and dogs have minimal to no signs of wear. I was told that the car only had 25k miles on it that this transmission came out of but who really knows? In any case, it made a lot of sense to use the front cover for alignment purposes so that it is exact but also because I had intended on replacing the input and output shaft seals as a preventative measure so I would have to take the front cover off anyway.

More to come tomorrow...
gwgwgw (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 02:13 AM
bmans vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 254 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19

Looking good Michael
Nice find with that video.
Are you changing any of the traditionally weak aspects of the T56, especially the aluminum shifter fork and the plastic keys vs the solid steel fork and brass bushings?
While you are there?
How are you addressing the offset location of the shifter to match up with the stock location of the F body vs the Corvette shifter location?
I'll be watching as you continue at warp speed.
Good luck with a speedy recovery.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 755 Posts

"Ugh, not much got done in the last few days. I came down with a very nasty cold which has left me unwilling to do much of anything. I am still under the weather but finally managed to drag my sorry butt off of the couch and do some work today, albeit not a lot."

The same here......day 4 of YUK!
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
PainfullySlow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmans vette View Post
Looking good Michael
Nice find with that video.
Are you changing any of the traditionally weak aspects of the T56, especially the aluminum shifter fork and the plastic keys vs the solid steel fork and brass bushings?
While you are there?
How are you addressing the offset location of the shifter to match up with the stock location of the F body vs the Corvette shifter location?
I'll be watching as you continue at warp speed.
Good luck with a speedy recovery.
I am not planning on going into the transmission at this time, other than the seals. Even a 'weak' T56 is still a strong trans, it has very low mileage, and honestly the car will be mostly a cruiser for me so I am willing to accept the risk. I may change my mind before I get the body back on the frame but for now I am just going to install it so that I can get the crossmember set up for it.

As for the offset shifter, I already have a billet shifter sitting in one of my many parts bins.

Not much warp speed happening here sadly. This cold is still kicking my butt and I have plans for this weekend so I am basically losing the entire week.

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
"Ugh, not much got done in the last few days. I came down with a very nasty cold which has left me unwilling to do much of anything. I am still under the weather but finally managed to drag my sorry butt off of the couch and do some work today, albeit not a lot."

The same here......day 4 of YUK!
I hope that you are feeling better DG. Some improvement here but still very much under the weather.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
bmans vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 254 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
I am not planning on going into the transmission at this time, other than the seals. Even a 'weak' T56 is still a strong trans, it has very low mileage, and honestly the car will be mostly a cruiser for me so I am willing to accept the risk. I may change my mind before I get the body back on the frame but for now I am just going to install it so that I can get the crossmember set up for it.

As for the offset shifter, I already have a billet shifter sitting in one of my many parts bins.

Not much warp speed happening here sadly. This cold is still kicking my butt and I have plans for this weekend so I am basically losing the entire week.

I hope that you are feeling better DG. Some improvement here but still very much under the weather.
Glad to see you back on your feet Michael.
I hear you about the T56 trans. I have a serious case of "while-I-am-it-itis" which explains why my projects take so long. I have 2 T56s for my 2 projects so I figure to tear them both down while I learn how to beef them up. Lots of great videos out there and suppliers of improved parts. That will be next after the engine is done and the frame is back from the powdercoater. I have a Gary Ramadei Super 10 for my personal project and he is doing a beefed up diff for this one later this Fall. I can't do it all.....
Looking forward to your progress......

Btw...where did you get the offset shifter? I saw one like that on ebay listed for the 93-95 F body I think. Most others do a cut and weld of a stock T56 shifter to make it fit the offset needed for our cars.

Last edited by bmans vette; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSlow's '72 Restomod Project

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: