Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSlow's '72 Restomod Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:08 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Wrists won't allow me to do much today so just some finishing details.

I added some breathers which were chrome but have gone through the powder coating process and also the ignition wires and wire management.

I will eventually move to the wire management that I have made myself however until I am sure that everything is running properly I felt it was best to use a solution where I would not have to uncrimp terminals to remove if necessary.

Again, these were chrome and now properly modified.

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 05-13-2018 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stroh (01-09-2020)
Old 05-13-2018, 06:10 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

This just keeps getting better and better and better

Very inspirational!

Glenn in San Diego
PainfullySlow (05-14-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks fantastic!
Old 05-13-2018, 11:09 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Looks fantastic!
Exactly......take care of those hands.

(I'm still waiting for my brain to "kick in")
Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jr73
Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Well, after some extensive digging it seems that I am going to need a frame after all which is ok since I went into this thinking that it would, but hoping that I could do some patch repairs.

The #3 mounts back is in very rough shape so rather than piece meal a frame together and always be wondering about it, I feel that it would be better to just find a way to get a frame for it and keep the project moving. It is kind of funny because the front of the frame (apart from the front crossmember and radiator support) is in excellent condition and nearly rust free. Just half way back it all turned to garbage :-p

It is supposed to dry out later this afternoon so I will try to continue work on the hood modifications.

The following is not C3 stuff, so skip if this doesn't interest you.

Physically I am not in great shape but I am coping. My inability to spend time in the gym is really starting to show; I have gained 25lbs since my accident last June. I am still eating like I am an athlete except I sit on my butt most of the day now.

Sadly this is the least of my worries. Mentally I am having a rough time dealing with my injuries. My race team has started their season and it is wearing on me worse than I had expected but surprisingly the main thing that I am missing is the ability to teach.

Some may not know that I was the advanced race instructor for the Penguin Racing School (the oldest motorcycle racing school in the country). I really enjoyed working with the men and women who were already good racers and trying to make them into great racers, as I tend to have a teaching mindset and really enjoyed passing along what I have learned.

The issue is that although I can go to the track and help out in some administrative function, it is not the same and I do not believe that I would find it fulfilling. I could still technically teach in the classroom however motorcycle racing is unlike anything else that I have experienced in that confidence is absolutely everything.

I am literally telling these students things that fly in the face of common sense, their bodies natural survival instincts, and sometimes even physics itself. Telling them is great but if I cannot 'walk the walk' then it is just words. Without the ability to show these students what I am attempting to convey, my words will not inspire the confidence necessary to succeed. Additionally many times it is necessary for an instructor to ride with the student to observe what they are doing and offer corrective advice.

Naturally my facebook feed is full of memories from past seasons which is hard to see but it is something that I am going to have to face anyway. I am hoping that by putting this out there that it will help me to move past this chapter of my life so I hope that you will indulge me a bit.

I don't know why but I have always loved this shot.

One of my crew checking my tire pressures before I head out for a race.

Some of the best memories are not the actual racing but at the track with the people that I have met through the sport. Evenings at the track are spent around a fire with everyone sharing food, some beer, and each other's company. This is how I unwound after an adrenaline filled day. Something else that I greatly miss about my current condition is that I can no longer play music. 35+ years of guitar work down the drain.

Checking on one of my students to make sure they were getting it right.

Sometimes things didn't go my way It is funny, but I even miss these times. I think at this point I have broken more bones than not but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I think there is more metal in me than your average C3

After coming in from the race where I clinched my 2015 championship. Incidentally, there is two weeks between the picture above and this one. I raced with a broken collarbone to get enough points to win the series.

Taken from a front facing camera on a friend's bike. I had just passed him but he was doing better than he had ever done before so I took the time to give him a little encouragement.

This is what I meant about being able to 'walk the walk'. This is how you make sure that someone is following the line they are supposed to be on.

One of my proudest moments was when I finally got good enough to beat the #1 plate. I had just made a last minute pass and went on to take the win in this race. This guy had been kicking my *** for the past 10 years and it was the only time I ever beat him.

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 05-14-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

PS,
Just watched "Hitting the Apex" on Netflix last weekend. Never realized the intensity and commitment it takes to be competitive in your sport. Like downhill skiing or the luge/skeleton, the physical exposure to danger is unbelievable. Makes other forms of racing look tame by comparison.

Good luck with your recovery. Working on Corvettes is good for the soul
Old 05-14-2018, 11:49 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,658 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I started riding motorcycles at age seven.
Fifty years later, three years ago, I sold my last bike and felt it was time.
I miss two wheels and was always lucky to keep the rubber side down.
I spent a long career in law enforcement, had my share of bumps and bruises before I gave that up and now settle and work as a code enforcement officer.
My life has slowed and I don't run a 10K nearly as fast as I used too.
I have my pains, miss pushing a black and white, but I keep pushing myself everyday because I'm still tougher than nails.
Stay positive, get back to the track and the coaching you love.
You may think you have less to give and what you can give may be less to you, but not to your students.
Keep up the fight.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:08 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I started riding motorcycles all the way back in the 1960's long before I was old enough to get a licence. I raced on local scramble tracks when I was in high school and moved on to drag racing later on. I built and raced a Top Fuel Harley for a few years, setting lots of records and racking up lots of wins.

Now I am going to be 65 in a couple months and I think about racing once in a while. An old friend and racing partner of mine has been after me to build a new Top Fuel Harley lately. We actually have 80% of the bike already. We have the motor and fuel system from the Bonneville Streamliner we had run, which I feel is far superior to what everybody else is running today. My buddy has a new TF frame, wheels and front end. We could do it.

My problem is my head and ego tells me I could ride this thing, but my body tells me a more realistic story. I have arthritis in my hands, so my grip is not that strong anymore. I have had 3 spinal surgeries on my back and neck so they would probably not do well with the stresses riding one of these things puts you through. It takes a lot of strength to manhandle one of these things if it gets out of shape. Just staying on one at over 220 - 230 MPH takes a good grip so you don't get blown off. You leave the line at 3 G's laying on the bike, so all that weight compresses your spine.

It sucks getting old! I feel for you, it has to be even harder when the physical loss of being able to do what you love comes suddenly from an injury. Mine came slowly over time.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 05-14-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I see my life is a book full of chapters,....some chapters are long since closed, new ones opened. I see the peak of my life when I was a proficient captain flying Learjet 24's and 25's.....most pilots know is a great achievement. Those days are now gone, and I often stare up into the sky, looking at contrails I know I once made. But I am glad for it. Now I have a different life, with new challenges. I think that life would not have been as fulfilling for not all the different chapters,.....so maybe you can see it that way.?? What you are doing with your Vette is something you should be proud of......I know I am proud of you. You do fine work, and I respect it because I too know what it takes, and have done similar quality work. Embrace it and see it as a new chapter. Nobody can ever take away from what you have done in the past.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-14-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:27 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

P.S. .........hang in there. That's what I am doing at this very moment. I'm not wanting to rush through Life in any way, but I want you guys to know..................Everyone gets a new start in Heaven/20 years old again/perfect health/doing what you love the best forever/injury-free/courtesy of JESUS

The following 3 users liked this post by doorgunner:
bmans vette (05-09-2019), cvm (05-26-2018), gleninsandiego (05-15-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM
vwcorvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't try to imagine what you are going through. I will say that there's always a way to make things work out for the best. Two words: Alex Zanardi.

This thread has gotten me to start putting my C3 back together. Driveshaft is being modified as I type.

Thanks for inspiring. You are still a teacher.

George
Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tomlink
PS,
Just watched "Hitting the Apex" on Netflix last weekend. Never realized the intensity and commitment it takes to be competitive in your sport. Like downhill skiing or the luge/skeleton, the physical exposure to danger is unbelievable. Makes other forms of racing look tame by comparison.

Good luck with your recovery. Working on Corvettes is good for the soul
Great movie! They did a very good job conveying just what it takes to be in the game. That's what a lot of people do not understand. Racing is not something that you do one weekend a month. It is your life. Everything for the past 10 years has revolved around racing.

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I started riding motorcycles at age seven.
Fifty years later, three years ago, I sold my last bike and felt it was time.
I miss two wheels and was always lucky to keep the rubber side down.
I spent a long career in law enforcement, had my share of bumps and bruises before I gave that up and now settle and work as a code enforcement officer.
My life has slowed and I don't run a 10K nearly as fast as I used too.
I have my pains, miss pushing a black and white, but I keep pushing myself everyday because I'm still tougher than nails.
Stay positive, get back to the track and the coaching you love.
You may think you have less to give and what you can give may be less to you, but not to your students.
Keep up the fight.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am not sure that I would be fit company at the track right now plus the last thing I would ever want from those people is pity.

Originally Posted by v2racing
I started riding motorcycles all the way back in the 1960's long before I was old enough to get a licence. I raced on local scramble tracks when I was in high school and moved on to drag racing later on. I built and raced a Top Fuel Harley for a few years, setting lots of records and racking up lots of wins.

Now I am going to be 65 in a couple months and I think about racing once in a while. An old friend and racing partner of mine has been after me to build a new Top Fuel Harley lately. We actually have 80% of the bike already. We have the motor and fuel system from the Bonneville Streamliner we had run, which I feel is far superior to what everybody else is running today. My buddy has a new TF frame, wheels and front end. We could do it.

My problem is my head and ego tells me I could ride this thing, but my body tells me a more realistic story. I have arthritis in my hands, so my grip is not that strong anymore. I have had 3 spinal surgeries on my back and neck so they would probably not do well with the stresses riding one of these things puts you through. It takes a lot of strength to manhandle one of these things if it gets out of shape. Just staying on one at over 220 - 230 MPH takes a good grip so you don't get blown off. You leave the line at 3 G's laying on the bike, so all that weight compresses your spine.

It sucks getting old! I feel for you, it has to be even harder when the physical loss of being able to do what you love comes suddenly from an injury. Mine came slowly over time.

Mike
Loss is loss. I can't say that one way is better than another. Bonneville was fun to do. I got my 200mph pass in and never went back. It was fun to do once but straight line speeds never really did it for me. Great bunch of people though.

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I see my life is a book full of chapters,....some chapters are long since closed, new ones opened. I see the peak of my life when I was a proficient captain flying Learjet 24's and 25's.....most pilots know is a great achievement. Those days are now gone, and I often stare up into the sky, looking at contrails I know I once made. But I am glad for it. Now I have a different life, with new challenges. I think that life would not have been as fulfilling for not all the different chapters,.....so maybe you can see it that way.?? What you are doing with your Vette is something you should be proud of......I know I am proud of you. You do fine work, and I respect it because I too know what it takes, and have done similar quality work. Embrace it and see it as a new chapter. Nobody can ever take away from what you have done in the past.
Thank you very much for this. I am trying very hard to follow your advice but am struggling with letting go of the past. I know this is a new chapter and one that I am just starting (and am enjoying a lot) so I know that with time it will become my focus rather than worrying about the past. Again, thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
P.S. .........hang in there. That's what I am doing at this very moment. I'm not wanting to rush through Life in any way, but I want you guys to know..................Everyone gets a new start in Heaven/20 years old again/perfect health/doing what you love the best forever/injury-free/courtesy of JESUS

Thanks DG! It seems that hanging in is what I do best these days :-p You show me the way!

Originally Posted by vwcorvette
I won't try to imagine what you are going through. I will say that there's always a way to make things work out for the best. Two words: Alex Zanardi.

This thread has gotten me to start putting my C3 back together. Driveshaft is being modified as I type.

Thanks for inspiring. You are still a teacher.

George
Thanks George but I am not sure that I would be following anything that I put in here. Most of it is trial and (lots of) error. Glad that you are getting back to your C3 though!

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 05-14-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:07 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

More presents showed up yesterday. I feel like I should be on a first name basis with my UPS driver.

Rather than sit around in a funk I decided to get some work done so I set about adding the additional fiberglass to bond the scoop to the hood as well as reinforce the area.

First thing was to even out the inside edges which was done with 80 grit and a DA sander. This made the inside edge of the hood flush with the side of the scoop.

Before

After

Next it was time to clean up a bit. I used compressed air to blow off the fiberglass dust and then used acetone to remove any remnants. It also does a fantastic job of removing the old coating used from the factory on the interior of the hood. The job was made easier by putting acetone in a garden spray pump. That and a few shop towels later and it got it down to bare fiberglass.

This is after the first pass. Going over it a few more times removed any of the remaining old paint.

Then it was time to add the fiberglass. I cut my pieces to size and then mixed up some resin. I added two strips along each edge which will bond the scoop to the hood and then added one piece across the entire underside of the scoop. Partially because I felt the scoop was a little flimsy and partially because the interior of it was very roughly done.

Today I will shape that area and do what I can to smooth out the underside of the scoop before filler and primer.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

As always, love the detail. I am learning a lot

Way to get out of the funk!

Grief is a beast, and you have lost a lot
HOWEVER, you are rising from the ashes

Glenn in San Diego
Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

I finished trimming out the underside by removing the excess fiberglass and contouring it all together.

Next I turned my attention to the top of the hood. I had prevously trimmed the flanges of the scoop where they meet the hood however they were still quite thick, even after I had also taken steps to thin them out some.

Now that the hood has been bonded both top and bottom I felt more comfortable working on this critical area. The goal is to thin out the flange so that I can use filler to easily make a seamless transition between hood and scoop but without compromising the integrity of the bond between the two pieces.

For this task the tool of choice was a rounded sanding block and some 120 grit paper. It fit the contour well and allowed me to focus on the raised lip without digging into the hood surface.

After spending some time working on that radius I was able to get a pretty thin flange that still followed the contour lines of both the hood and scoop. All that remains now is t to apply filler and shape it completely to make it a seamless transition.

My next project is what to do about the scoop opening?

I think I am going to make some vertical flat pieces to bond to the sides and then make a thin upper bar to go across the front which I will bond a grille to from the inside.

Get notified of new replies

To PSlow's '72 Restomod Project

Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

It's going to be sturdy along with looking good.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking good PS! i always look forward to seeing what you do next. meanwhile I've spent the last couple opportunities in the garage trying to beat the power steering ram ball stud out of my steering linkage. not much to show for it.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:12 AM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Well, after some extensive digging it seems that I am going to need a frame after all which is ok since I went into this thinking that it would, but hoping that I could do some patch repairs.

The #3 mounts back is in very rough shape so rather than piece meal a frame together and always be wondering about it, I feel that it would be better to just find a way to get a frame for it and keep the project moving. It is kind of funny because the front of the frame (apart from the front crossmember and radiator support) is in excellent condition and nearly rust free. Just half way back it all turned to garbage :-p

It is supposed to dry out later this afternoon so I will try to continue work on the hood modifications.

The following is not C3 stuff, so skip if this doesn't interest you.

Physically I am not in great shape but I am coping. My inability to spend time in the gym is really starting to show; I have gained 25lbs since my accident last June. I am still eating like I am an athlete except I sit on my butt most of the day now.

Sadly this is the least of my worries. Mentally I am having a rough time dealing with my injuries. My race team has started their season and it is wearing on me worse than I had expected but surprisingly the main thing that I am missing is the ability to teach.

Some may not know that I was the advanced race instructor for the Penguin Racing School (the oldest motorcycle racing school in the country). I really enjoyed working with the men and women who were already good racers and trying to make them into great racers, as I tend to have a teaching mindset and really enjoyed passing along what I have learned.

The issue is that although I can go to the track and help out in some administrative function, it is not the same and I do not believe that I would find it fulfilling. I could still technically teach in the classroom however motorcycle racing is unlike anything else that I have experienced in that confidence is absolutely everything.

I am literally telling these students things that fly in the face of common sense, their bodies natural survival instincts, and sometimes even physics itself. Telling them is great but if I cannot 'walk the walk' then it is just words. Without the ability to show these students what I am attempting to convey, my words will not inspire the confidence necessary to succeed. Additionally many times it is necessary for an instructor to ride with the student to observe what they are doing and offer corrective advice.

Naturally my facebook feed is full of memories from past seasons which is hard to see but it is something that I am going to have to face anyway. I am hoping that by putting this out there that it will help me to move past this chapter of my life so I hope that you will indulge me a bit.

I don't know why but I have always loved this shot.

One of my crew checking my tire pressures before I head out for a race.

Some of the best memories are not the actual racing but at the track with the people that I have met through the sport. Evenings at the track are spent around a fire with everyone sharing food, some beer, and each other's company. This is how I unwound after an adrenaline filled day. Something else that I greatly miss about my current condition is that I can no longer play music. 35+ years of guitar work down the drain.

Checking on one of my students to make sure they were getting it right.

Sometimes things didn't go my way It is funny, but I even miss these times. I think at this point I have broken more bones than not but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I think there is more metal in me than your average C3

After coming in from the race where I clinched my 2015 championship. Incidentally, there is two weeks between the picture above and this one. I raced with a broken collarbone to get enough points to win the series.

Taken from a front facing camera on a friend's bike. I had just passed him but he was doing better than he had ever done before so I took the time to give him a little encouragement.

This is what I meant about being able to 'walk the walk'. This is how you make sure that someone is following the line they are supposed to be on.

One of my proudest moments was when I finally got good enough to beat the #1 plate. I had just made a last minute pass and went on to take the win in this race. This guy had been kicking my *** for the past 10 years and it was the only time I ever beat him.

Very cool stuff. I did penguin with Jerry Wood in the early 90's. A few races and did some corner work in the bowl behind the tree on the exit up the hill from the bowl. It was way too expensive for me to race as much as I wanted to.

Hang in there. Your project is looking amazing

Quick Reply: PSlow's '72 Restomod Project