1969 Black/Black L71 at BJ Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:55 PM
kjd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 Black/Black L71 at BJ Scottsdale

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...427/435-211785

Trying to obtain some additional information on this car, is the current owner a member here or does anyone here on the board know more?

The same car sold very recently earlier this year at Mecum Houston:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0417-28...orvette-coupe/

So the current owner is moving it pretty quickly, not looking for speculation as to why, we can all postulate theories, just looking for some facts if anyone has any.

Many thanks, cheers.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Jakecity
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have any additional information on the car, but I did notice that at the Mecum auction it was not described as a numbers-matching car, while at the Barrett-Jackson auction website, it is. It is rare that an auction fails to include "numbers-matching" in the description. So I would be wary about whether it has the original engine. Just my two cents.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:59 PM
kjd
Advanced

Thanks much for your post, I noticed that as well.

I'll check that closely; of course there are so many many re-stamps out there already.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

A couple things to keep in mind regarding the term "numbers matching" and these 2 auctions, in my experience.

Mecum has become more and more resistant to use the term at all. For years, they had a rule that if a car was described as NM, the buyer had 24 hours (I think) to verify this, after auction's end. In recent auctions, I noticed most times they used the term it was qualified with "believed to be" numbers matching. So, the absence of this description *might* be a Mecum thing, rather than a seller's thing.

Regarding B/J, I found the opposite to be true. I was looking at a silver blue '58 that I loved, and was described as NM on the show card. I wondered how they could manage this, given that the VIN is not found on a '58s stamp pad. Some people might want to call it NM for some reason that would be difficult to support, but not me.

Worse still, I checked the pad myself and it was decked! No assembly code, nothing. So what was "matching?" I dunno.

The auctioneer described the car as "numbers matching" on the block.

So, this car not being called NM at Mecum but being called that at B/J doesnt shock me in the least. Your job is to properly inspect the pad of the car you want yourself, and go from there.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
LT-1 kid (01-16-2018), marshal135 (01-16-2018)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 PM
DKM-106
Melting Slicks

Received 699 Likes on 425 Posts

Default 69 435

Originally Posted by kjd
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...427/435-211785

Trying to obtain some additional information on this car, is the current owner a member here or does anyone here on the board know more?

The same car sold very recently earlier this year at Mecum Houston:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/HA0417-28...orvette-coupe/

So the current owner is moving it pretty quickly, not looking for speculation as to why, we can all postulate theories, just looking for some facts if anyone has any.

Many thanks, cheers.
Here you go, looks like it has been sold a few times including Daniel Schmitt where it had a tank sticker:
https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds...5-hp-stingray/

Get a picture of the engine stamp pad and the trim plate. It is pretty easy to spot a repo trim plate and restamp
Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

The tank sticker looks legitimate.
Passes muster in my opinion.

Would like to see the trim tag and stamp pad myself.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:50 AM
Jakecity
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kjd
Thanks much for your post, I noticed that as well.

I'll check that closely; of course there are so many many re-stamps out there already.

You're welcome!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 AM
kjd
Advanced

Thanks guys for weighing in and all the good information.

This is a great board, many great members with many years of experience, and the mods do an outstanding job.

I'll chase this one some more and keep all posted. Good luck also to anyone else interested in this car, see you at BJs!
Old 12-20-2017, 09:11 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kjd
Thanks guys for weighing in and all the good information.

This is a great board, many great members with many years of experience, and the mods do an outstanding job.

I'll chase this one some more and keep all posted. Good luck also to anyone else interested in this car, see you at BJs!
A few minor items. Missing the smog system, replacement master cylinder, wrong fan clutch, aftermarket radio, plug wires wrong. Check to see if the TI is still there and is it connected and has the right distributor. Catalog valve covers. Love the Black on Black BC/CC.

Last edited by jaxlt1; 12-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:28 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I see the last auction it went for 59,000 if I'm not mistaken......For what I have seen tri powered vettes sell for over the years says to me it is not numbers matching......Seems strange someone who bought this car would want to sell it 8 months later..

Knowledge is king on this one....Do your homework..Either way its a sharp looking car...If it were me,something this rare would have to be numbers matching for me to buy it......If its not ,there are plenty of vettes that look like that for a little over half the price of what it sold for in April that are not NM....
Old 12-20-2017, 02:05 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

basically and bottom line: if it sold for 59K 8 months ago, then I expect there will be a buyer bid at or near that amount when it is sold again. Unless there is something discovered that would cause the price to be above or below that. you can throw out all intangibles except that you can expect that the buyers of this car will be very knowledgeable and will have bid accordingly.

throw out the words 'numbers matching' and its 20 some odd definitions.. specifically ask
is it the original engine/drivetrain and how do you prove it.

don't expect to get a real no excuses great condition black on black sidepipe 435 original engine for 59K.

a valid and correct tank sheet does nothing to prove original engine. it just says that the car came with a 427-435.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:18 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Some comments about the car;
Lot # S38 1969 Chevrolet Corvette 427/435 Coupe; S/N 194379S716263; Engine # 19S716263; Tuxedo Black/Black; Cosmetic restoration, 2- condition; Hammered Sold at $59,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $64,900. No Reserve. – 427/435hp L71 engine, 4-speed, Rally wheels, side exhaust, Firestone tires, aftermarket stereo. – From the LaQuay collection. Tidy older restored engine bay. Fine paint cracks at the front of the hood. Microblisters on the right headlight door. Otherwise very good older paint and chrome. Good newer upholstery but worn original switchgear. Original underbody. Noteworthy for its equipment but in unremarkable older partially restored condition. – A strong price for a decent car. Bidding didn’t get carried away, but the new owner has nothing left over at this price to address the car’s minor but notable needs. It was a no-sale at the Leake Dallas auction last November at a reported high bid of $58,000, essentially the same as its successful hammer bid today. Comments credit Rick Carey
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (01-16-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:49 PM
kjd
Advanced

Ask and ye shall receive, thanks so very much again to all!

I know there is no free lunch (here or for nearly any other commodity), I'm just trying to decide if this car is for me, perhaps at or slightly above the current owner's Houston Mecum bid + fees.

You guys have given me so much to chew on, I'm so very grateful. Knowledge is of course power and you guys are schooling me even though I have owned many Corvettes including a couple of C3s over the years.

Question if I may: is the solid lifter engine difficult to maintain were I to drive this 1000 miles per year or so?

Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

I find it amazing the a $50K plus car would not have a single picture to verify that it is a numbers matching car. Are we supposed to just take their word on it???? Ike
Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxlt1
A few minor items. Missing the smog system, replacement master cylinder, wrong fan clutch, aftermarket radio, plug wires wrong. Check to see if the TI is still there and is it connected and has the right distributor. Catalog valve covers. Love the Black on Black BC/CC.
Couple more issues if you really want to point out what's not correct. Its supposed to have the coffee can wiper actuator and the seats are supposed to be vinyl not leather.

If this car had the original drivetrain it should be near $100k. Its almost certainly a restamped block.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:25 PM
DKM-106
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kjd

I know there is no free lunch (here or for nearly any other commodity), I'm just trying to decide if this car is for me, perhaps at or slightly above the current owner's Houston Mecum bid + fees.

You guys have given me so much to chew on, I'm so very grateful. Knowledge is of course power and you guys are schooling me even though I have owned many Corvettes including a couple of C3s over the years.

Question if I may: is the solid lifter engine difficult to maintain were I to drive this 1000 miles per year or so?

I have been fortunate to own a number of 69 tuxedo black L71 and L89 435 cars. Real paperwork, real trim tag cars. Real paperwork and trim tags are really hard to find on these cars, especially with all of the reproduced items out there.

If the chassis is original as the past auction indicates, look for the single fuel line running from the tank to the carbs. All 435 cars had holley carbs which did not need the second return line to the tank that the quadrajets did. I have looked at a number of supposed 435 cars at BJ, Mecum, and other auctions where they cut the second line at the tank so it appeared correct. Also verify it has the correct f41 shocks, leaf spring, big block rear end, and it has the original TI and ignition system in place or the 3 holes in the front fender for the box.

I would get pics of the trim tag and engine pad prior to bidding from BJ. Lastly I wouldn't buy this car without having someone looking at it that knows these cars. If you know what to look for awesome! If not arm yourself with the right info prior to bidding. In the end 60k for a real tuxedo black 435 car with factory side pipes and a tank sticker seems a bit off the market value on this car. Paired with dealers peddling it at multiple auctions would give me enough pause to make sure I did my research before I placed a bid on it Good luck!
Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 PM
DKM-106
Melting Slicks

Default 435 69

Originally Posted by kjd

Another big reason to verify the trim tag is the way BJ has it listed on their auction site: "Presented in Tuxedo Black with black interior and factory side pipes"

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Black/Black L71 at BJ Scottsdale

Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 AM
kjd
Advanced

Agree with all and thanks so much for the great information and advice!

Given the car's recent history, assorted equipment changes, lack of evidence and inspection to date, and listing info, this is likely not an original Tuxedo Black L71 N14 car.

Many of the equipment changes don't bother me, e.g., leather seat skins, plug wires, radio, etc. but I do want a 900 code car with the original L71 engine and N14 option in decent shape. They are certainly difficult to locate and I'm guessing most of those that have survived have been restored to or near NCRS standards.

So, I will press BJ for some photos, based on past interactions with auction houses, I don't expect to get much help from them.

I figured I was in deep water here and sure enough that's true. If anyone is going to BJ Scottsdale, I would be very much interested in meeting up and paying for your help to inspect. Or if anyone knows of another black L71 N14 coupe in better condition with evidence and docs, I'm certainly willing to enter low 6 figure territory. (Don't know if my wallet is deep enough to secure that kind of car, who knows?)

Again, what a great car board this is, thanks so much for examining the photos we have and for sharing your years of experience.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I set out to buy a real code 900 Triple Black ‘69, and I was surprised how difficult it was. Many of the cars started out green. Lies about trim tags. It was far easier to find a numbers matching motor than a real 900 trim tag.

Best of luck in your search!
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 PM
BackN70
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an original Tuxedo Black tri-power car. I used to own the car.

Quick Reply: 1969 Black/Black L71 at BJ Scottsdale