Sponsored by:

1971 Transistor Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1971 Transistor Ignition Problem

I replaced the wiring harness to the engine 5 years ago (car only has 1k miles on the harness & TI) and had the entire T.I system rebuilt. All of a sudden the car won't start. I have 12 volts to the alternator but little if an voltage to the coil. If I unplug the TI system from the harness at the main 3 prong plug and play with it--it will start 50%of the time and then run
Thanksfine until the next time. I am assuming there must be a short in the system somewhere (when trying to start it seems to fire as you release the igntion switch as you stop cranking). Any suggestion on how to checkout the 3 prongs on the TI plug and the igntion harness Or where to start to find the problem?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2017, 12:52 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

looking at the wiring diagram, the black wire in the prong goes to the + coil terminal and the pink wire appears to supply power to the amplifier. If you are getting little or no voltage coming out of the amplifier, the black wire, test the pink wire going into the amplifier to see if that also has a poor reading.

https://www.tispecialty.com/articles/66-71diagram.htm
Old 12-22-2017, 09:03 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Black wire goes to the negative coil and white goes to positive on coil according to diagram--correct?
Old 12-24-2017, 12:16 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

the black wire on the amp plug changes color to white and goes to the positive terminal on the coil and the negative terminal on the coil has a black wire that runs to the amp.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Again a simple solution to what appeared to be a complex problem. Found all the negative grounds (negative battery to frame; starter to frame x 2; TI amp to radiator; etc);ground them with a dremmel to the bare metal/cleaned the contact and then applied dielectric synthetic grease to the connections. Car started first time.
Thanks for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Transistor Ignition Problem

Quick Reply: 1971 Transistor Ignition Problem