Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 body mounts - Alum, Poly, or Rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM
chadronvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the poly in my 72 over ten years ago. Made the road noise and engine noise much less. I also installed a complete suspension package from vettebrakes so I cannot comment on the body mounts improving handling.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
I've thought about using polyurethane bushings in suspension components because of the inevitable sag with rubber bushings that are sure to effect alignment. Nevertheless I went rubber bushings because I want the cushioning effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see how a poly body mount would supply any more cushioning effect than a solid aluminum mount. As far as I know the polyurethane used in suspension components does not compress.
Poly absolutely compresses, just nowhere near as much as rubber. In terms of hardness it is basically an intermediate option between aluminum (very hard) and rubber (very soft).
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chadronvette
I put the poly in my 72 and engine noise over ten years ago. Made the road noise much less. I also installed a complete suspension package from vettebrakes so I cannot comment on the body mounts improving handling.
Thanks for your response. I will also be installing a complete suspension package at the same time...
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Radial tires came to dominate tires for one reason, you could corner faster with them than the bias ply tires. However there is one major factor about radial ply tires being different than the bias ply's. A bias ply tire at it's limit in a corner would slowly skip sideways and you may have a chance to recover. Radials let you corner a lot faster, but once you reach their limit, they just let go of the road, with no warning, and you wipe out! Lou.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
Radial tires came to dominate tires for one reason, you could corner faster with them than the bias ply tires. However there is one major factor about radial ply tires being different than the bias ply's. A bias ply tire at it's limit in a corner would slowly skip sideways and you may have a chance to recover. Radials let you corner a lot faster, but once you reach their limit, they just let go of the road, with no warning, and you wipe out! Lou.
But radials won out and according to coker tire radials have less harsh ride than bias....
Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loup68
The fact that radials do not skip the way bias tires do is what allows us motorcycle racers to corner faster. We rely on the slide to get us pointed where we want to go =)

Some call it drifting, others call it pushing the tire. Really it is basically controlled crashing :-p

Anyway, I would take a radial tire hands down any day of the week.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:51 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I just remembered one other thing that bias ply tires did. They would nibble at imperfections in the road and unexpectedly dart sideways a little. Radials do not do that. Radials have less rolling resistance, I think, so also give you better gas mileage. Lou.

Quick Reply: 72 body mounts - Alum, Poly, or Rubber?