C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever had their car wrapped as in a vynil wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

In the interest of anyone searching for wrap info in the future: it is very common to have high end paint jobs wrapped with clear to protect them. I know quite a few Porche and other European marques that do this.
The following users liked this post:
Bart K (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
I've had a number of company service trucks that have had wraps, some full coverage and some very minimal. What I have seen over the years is that obviously any original paint left exposed fades and will be noticeable when the wrap is removed. I haven't seen any generation of wrap cause any damage to the paint as long as its carefully removed, and haven't had any peeling problems. Also that the wraps applied during cold months always seemed to have more flaws. There are always small spots where you can see folds or cuts no matter how carefully applied. Generally they look very good and believe me, they were not applied with the exacting care a hobbyist will take the time to do.

Absolutely, I'd wrap a car - just depends on what car, wrap and circumstances. Highly subjective. I'm just saying I think the wraps are relatively harmless and look good if done right.

This is really great information. Good to get info from someone that has been there and done that! I especially appreciate the tip about wraps applied during cold months! I completely agree with your final statement "Absolutely, I'd wrap a car - just depends on what car, wrap and circumstances. Highly subjective. I'm just saying I think the wraps are relatively harmless and look good if done right".
pigfarmer (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 08:45 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I'm just saying I think the wraps are relatively harmless and look good if done right.

Well said.
pigfarmer (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a couple friends get wraps done. If it's really high quality and done by a good shop (Or done with great care and research by a hobbyist) - it can look like actual new paint and last quite a while. I'd do it, but I love my car's color too much. A side benefit is that they protect your cars paint from scuffs and scratches quite well for the duration of the wrap.

Last edited by Shdggsdv; 12-29-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Bart K (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Shdggsdv
I've had a couple friends get wraps done. If it's really high quality and done by a good shop (Or done with great care and research by a hobbyist) - it can look like actual new paint and last quite a while. I'd do it, but I love my car's color too much. A side benefit is that they protect your cars paint from scuffs and scratches quite well for the duration of the wrap.

Thanks for the info! Hey, I read that they do clear wraps to help protect high end paint jobs. So if you love your paint color and job, maybe a clear wrap would be a benefit!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:36 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bart K
Thanks for the info! Hey, I read that they do clear wraps to help protect high end paint jobs. So if you love your paint color and job, maybe a clear wrap would be a benefit!
The front end of my 17 has a clear wrap on it. So does the front end nose of my aluminum trailer. Road dents and blemishes are on the vinyl and not on the aluminum or the paint of the car. It works.

Happy New Year.

David
Bart K (12-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had their car wrapped as in a vynil wrap?