BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

Enjoying every day and the drive
Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 AM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

I think the friendliness of Corvette owners is inversely proportional to the year of their Corvette. C1, C2, C3 drivers always give me a wave back, C4, C5, most of the time, C6 sometimes, C7 rarely. By the way, seems like more often than not, when I see a C7, the chances are high it has handicap plates, and it's always an automatic. (walk slow, drive fast?!)
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Corvette "******" abound.

I hang out here to meet the cool, knowledgeable, friendly types.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:46 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryB72
Different.
That`s my answer!

Originally Posted by Crimson Thunder
You should have responded "so are all driving instructors." Good luck with your CDL, I've been driving truck for over 20 years.
I drove gasoline tankers for over 10 years, and was a "driver trainer". (We hired experienced drivers, but I taught them how to haul gas and live to tell about it). I recall telling one cowboy to slow it down on a curve. He went off telling me about his driving skills, and I told him hauling liquids was different than anything he ever pulled before, and... "Personally, I think you`re an azzhole, but that dosen`t have anything to do with whether or not you can do this job, and you have to get through me to be hired.... so slow it down!"

Originally Posted by rmgny44
C1 - C2 Cool and wealthy
C3 Cool
C4 Cool but poor
C5 - C7 TACO
Old 01-01-2018, 09:21 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default advertising

The ball caps I wear are because I gotta cover the bald noggin up in the weather/sun. I never wear shirts with logos on them, just personal taste. Once in a blue moon the C3 hat will start a conversation.

A good friend of mine drapes himself in Harley shirts, hats, pins and he doesn't even have one. Does the same with firearm shirts, hats, etc. and yes, he certainly does have them. I do too but never advertise the fact. For whatever reason that doesn't sit well with me. Sort of like bumper stickers.Years ago I had a lunatic go off on me in a parking lot because I had the standard NRA sticker in my truck window.

I prefer to remain unnoticed until I actually get in my '69. THAT certainly gets me all the attention I ever want.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

retired white hairs reliving their past. doesnt apply to me though.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:59 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

"driving cool cars"
Old 01-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

"very smart people with good taste in cars!"
Old 01-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly, I didn't know what to think or what I was "getting into" when I got my car. If this forum is any indication, Corvette owners are a bunch of pretty terrific folks ! ! I come from Porsche 356s and, well . . . you can imagine.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:59 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
I drove gasoline tankers for over 10 years, and was a "driver trainer". (We hired experienced drivers, but I taught them how to haul gas and live to tell about it). I recall telling one cowboy to slow it down on a curve. He went off telling me about his driving skills, and I told him hauling liquids was different than anything he ever pulled before, and... "Personally, I think you`re an azzhole, but that dosen`t have anything to do with whether or not you can do this job, and you have to get through me to be hired.... so slow it down!"
I drove some smaller tankers (1500-2000 gal) about 20 years ago. I tried the big ones a couple times and did not like it at all. Felt like I was going to end up crushing some passenger cars. Most people have no clue what it takes to stop one of those rigs and will jump right in front of you.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:18 AM
bwbrown
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
I drove some smaller tankers (1500-2000 gal) about 20 years ago. I tried the big ones a couple times and did not like it at all. Felt like I was going to end up crushing some passenger cars. Most people have no clue what it takes to stop one of those rigs and will jump right in front of you.

Yeah, tankers have unique braking needs, to say the least. I occasionally drive water trucks as a substitute for the gas wells. Tanker trailers are butt-clenching unless they are bone empty or full full full.

THIS Corvette driver is a semi retired old guy who finally had an opportunity to afford one and now considers himself lucky after raising a family and putting the kids through school. I grin ear to ear while going down the road!

I suspect that the O.P's example will shortly be removing himself from the gene pool.

All that said, my daily driver is a school bus. Maybe we should start a thread about the number of times idiots driving Accuras or Prious have run my lights while I have kids crossing the road! Putting children at mortal risk right before my very eyes - I don't care WHAT you're driving - THAT'S NOT COOL!!!!!

Drivers are drivers. Some are good ones, while some others certainly deserve the colorful metaphors.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

But C5-up drivers are usually fiscally comfortable and want a flashy fast DD. They care no more about it than if it were a Lexus. And they can't stand being behind any big trucks, so they invariably **** off truck drivers...
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

All Corvette Drivers are people; same as other car drivers. We have all seen rude drivers in all makes and models and that rant would have been given to any other car had it done the same thing in front of your instructor.

Just stay safe out there.

David
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

When I bought my 70, the previous owners wife said to me "you look like a Corvette guy". I didn't ask what that meant but I assume very handsome and intelligent.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Generally speaking, using "all" is going to be wrong right off the bat. If I were to take a guess, I would break it down like this:

10% or less of Corvette owners are a-holes
90% of Corvette owners are decent folks that range from wealthy to scraping by, but good folks no matter the income level.

Personally, I fall in the middle somewhere. Relatively comfortable, but still need my paycheck every 2 weeks, but definitely not wealthy. I saw and understood my first Vette in 1963 when I was 6 and have been in love with the car since that day. I do not own or drive a Vette to impress anyone, I own and drive a Vette because this is the car for me. I also own a couple of inexpensive Mopars, but the Vette was my first love. I have been without one for many years due to divorce and the 2008 crash when I had to sell my 62 Vette. Now a 69 that was owned by an old friend has come in to my life. I certainly don't go around thinking I am better than anyone else because of my car. I have been as low as donating plasma for money to buy food to better times now. 95% of us are a paycheck away from real trouble. I try to live life by treating others as I would like to be treated, and do my best to be kind to everyone I interact with.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:19 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Most of the Corvette enthusiasts that I know are pretty nice folks. I will add that I do not buy into the idea that because you drive a C3 (or any other generation) you are cool, but if you drive a later model that makes you a jerk. Actually, the people who think that way may need to look in the mirror to see the jerk.

Now some people buy a new Corvette for the same reason I buy a Cadillac, for transportation. They would probably be confused by “the wave.” They are not Corvette enthusiasts, just someone who happens to drive a Corvette. The Corvette they purchased will be a used car in a few years and in a lot of cases will be bought by someone who is a Corvette enthusiast.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

1. 10,000 % more polite than PORSCHE drivers who are the archetypal members of the 'more money than sense club'.
2. Old AZ joke "What is the difference between CACTUS and BMW drivers....one of them has the ****** on the inside".

3. I kind of see the point C-1,C-2,C-3 drivers generally are polite and older...the newer models parse down into the general population...some good some atrocious.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

"too sexy for their cars"......

Quick Reply: all Corvette drivers are "____" - fill in the blank