Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1968 is it What is it worth

Asking $25,000.00 What is it worth?

Old 01-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi VR,
I really don't know how anyone could make even a guess with no information and just 2 photos.

For example:
It has a big block hood... but 327 numerals.
If it's a small block car I would deduct some dollars, but someone else might add some dollars.

The same would be true for the steering wheel.

The same is true for the 67 rally caps and trim rings.

The same would be true for the air dam.

Do you know if the car is rusty?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vettes Rule (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Vettes Rule
Instructor

Frame off about 5 years ago. Running good and ac has been upfitted. I love it because of 4 speed manual trans. Everything works. Odo shows 39k. Don't know acual.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I'm sorry, but we still need more info to make any kind of educated guess at value. Is it the original engine? The engine's missing the ignition shielding, and has an aftermarket air cleaner and valve covers, with some other non stock parts visible too. What kind of shape is the frame in, and how about the cowl and A-pillars? Does the vacuum wiper door and pop up head lights work properly? Is there any signs of leaks, in particular from the brake calipers, and power steering (if it has PS).

From what I see, it doesn't look like a "frame off" restoration to me, they didn't even mask the door striker off before painting, let alone remove it. The engine compartment looks like it was spray bombed black, not restored.

The trim tag indicates that the car was originally Silverstone Silver (986), so the color's been changed (STD is a black vinyl interior). Beyond that, I'm a little concerned about that trim tag itself. The rivets don't look typical of what GM used, and I've never seen a a GM trim tag where the word CORPCRATICN was spelled using "C"s instead of "O"s?

There are a number of non stock features on that car. Besides the under hood dress up stuff, and the color change, the steering wheel and radio are aftermarket, the hood is for a big block, and the wheels are 69 up 8" rally's, not the 7's that came on 68's.

What are you looking for, a stock original car, a nice driver, or are you good with a modified car?
Vettes Rule (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi VR,
Have you checked it carefully for rust?
YOU don't want to be the person to find that rust was ignored or poorly repaired during the restoration,
Do you know if it has the engine and transmission it left St.Louis with? Does that matter to you?

The exterior and interior look nice.
It appears the engine compartment was restored with a can of black paint during the 'restoration'.
What do the chassis and running gear look like?

How much has it been driven since it was restored?
Is it being sold by the owner?
How long has he had it?
Is he the person who restored it or had it restored?
If it still has the original motor and transmission is there any other 'paperwork' with it?
Have you seen it in person and driven it?

Regards,
Alan
Vettes Rule (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:00 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree pretty much with what has been said, but ultimately it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
Vettes Rule (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi GB,
If you look closely the 'C' used in 2 places are a different font than the other Cs on the tag.... even different than the first C on CORPORATION.

They sorta look like an 'O' but with a piece broken out of the side of the die.

???
Regards,
Alan
Vettes Rule (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Vettes Rule
Instructor

Thanks guys, I can get a little more info but I am not seen in person yet. He is a dealer and selling for somebody. From what I am hearing it is not original enough to pay this for it. I get excited when I see a 4 speed. That is why I asked. At first looked priced good for a 1968
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ntfday
I agree pretty much with what has been said, but ultimately it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
That is a meaningless statement. I am willing to pay $100 for it...and I am evidently someone...so that is all it is worth? The car is worth what MANY people are willing to pay for it. Cobbled together cars are not collector cars, so one can forget about the pricing guides. On the other hand...it is a red Corvette and I am sure the paint looks nice. To a lot of people, that might be enough to overpay!
Vettes Rule (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Vettes Rule
Instructor

As a really good driver what’s it worth
Old 01-01-2018, 11:15 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettes Rule
As a really good driver what’s it worth
Assuming NOTHING will need repairing in the next 50,000 miles, this Rookie says.........$15,000....minimum for this "resto-mod".

That is how much ($15,000) I will have invested in my '68 convertible after I do the body work and after I paint it. Then I can probably get $9,000 for it on a sunny day.

As everyone said......more pics are needed, even for a rookie like me.

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-01-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:37 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
That is a meaningless statement. I am willing to pay $100 for it...and I am evidently someone...so that is all it is worth? The car is worth what MANY people are willing to pay for it. Cobbled together cars are not collector cars, so one can forget about the pricing guides. On the other hand...it is a red Corvette and I am sure the paint looks nice. To a lot of people, that might be enough to overpay!

Meaningless to who, you? ANY car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it whether it's a dollar or 7 figures. Cobbled together means not NSRA? You know where you can put that attitude.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:18 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettes Rule
Thanks guys, I can get a little more info but I am not seen in person yet. He is a dealer and selling for somebody. From what I am hearing it is not original enough to pay this for it. I get excited when I see a 4 speed. That is why I asked. At first looked priced good for a 1968
The problem is: The owner "could have" a $8,000 paint job on it/a new clutch/rebuilt 4-speed/new tires/new radiator/new or rebuilt differential/new or rebuilt steering suspension/etc.

All the above items cause the price to rise rapidly. Plus the dealer wants his profit/the owner wants his profit. Have you checked "Cars for Sale" on this Forum/top right corner?

Are they asking a fair price for the car....only pictures can help forum members give you advice.

Meanwhile click on the below Forum

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ale-wanted-56/

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-02-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

The items that have been changed out will affect the price in a negative way to a purist (but are a great bargaining chip to others to get the price down).
If factory correct is not your thing, but just a good looking, good condition car is, and this car doesn't have rust issues I would pay $16K-$20K if I had to have it.
Keep in mind, that is my opinion, and I always try to pay under market value.
My suspicions are the dealer wants much more than that.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,279 Likes on 3,916 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

it has a big block radiator in it. IF its rust free I bet it would appraise for $20 k up here. With good paint and running fine non original engine 18 to 20 seems about right. You need to do some investigating to see if it was an origianl big block
Old 01-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

it has a big block radiator in it.
...but a base small block non-AC steel shroud.

IF its rust free I bet it would appraise for $20 k up here. With good paint and running fine non original engine 18 to 20 seems about right.
Car is a mutt, but seems like a nice driver. Nice quality 68 mutt drivers are in the 15-20k range around here assuming the frame/birdcage checks out as well as the trim tag issue.

minimum for this "resto-mod".
There is nothing "mod" about this. stock trans, stock steering, stock suspension, stock engine. At best it is "refreshed" with a bunch of not as installed from the factory parts. If it had a 5-speed, ZZ4, R&P or Borgeson, Willwood, Sharkbite, etc then it would have the "mod" part of Restomod and worth the 25k asking

but are a great bargaining chip to others to get the price down.
My experience from buying mine in '12 was that dealers have a price they want and pointing out flaws does not work for vintage cars. They know there are enough uniformed people that get caught up in the shinny "resell red" paint that someone will buy it for the price they want. Most classic car dealers actually hate it when someone that knows lots of detail specs about the cars walks into their showroom. They would rather have someone walk in that says "oh, pretty paint" or "I love it because of 4 speed manual trans" or "I had one just like this in high school".

This dealer would be likely be better off returning back to stock or taking it further down the restomod path but rarely do you get a dealer that does that, most just flip as-is. Right now it is in a no-mans land for the informed. Props to the OP for having it checked out here, could have easily paid $25k for a $15k car.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 01-02-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Vettes Rule (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
it has a big block radiator in it.
68 big blocks, and 68 small blocks with air conditioning, used the same basic radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 is it What is it worth

Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ntfday
Meaningless to who, you? ANY car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it whether it's a dollar or 7 figures. Cobbled together means not NSRA? You know where you can put that attitude.
Market value of anything is not determined by what any single individual is willing to pay. It is determined by all the individuals (aka the market) that would be interested in that item. Exposure and marketing time need to be considered before determining whether or not an item sold at market value. Worth and value are not necessarily the same. I merely wanted to let the OP know that collector car price guides do not apply to modified cars...or cobbled together (put together with different parts from wherever) cars...regardless of how shiny the paint is. He thanked me for the post.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 01-02-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,407 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Nice car on the first look. This is a 986 Silver, Std Black Vinyl 327 (unknown HP) car with J50 power brakes and C60 air conditioning. Wipers are intact, and canister is correct, master cylinder cover is later replacement. It appears well kept, and condition not bad at all with original interior and a good look of completeness to it. The body appears unmodified and looks correct, however it has been repainted the "wrong" color, though in a fairly professional way judging by the trim plate. She appears to be an early March car with a vin around 13200? I think $25,000 is a fair ask. What you pay is based on your research and goals for the car.

The silver/ctd color scheme is nice and attractive, and the red doesnt look too bad as well for now. It has ac and could be a 327 four speed so thats kinda nice. Not many with AC. Could be a nice car to restore or drive as is.

Last edited by international blue; 01-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Vettes Rule (01-03-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

If it isn't rusty it might be a nice driver. I would say based on the limited photos probably $18-20K would buy it.

Quick Reply: 1968 is it What is it worth