Sponsored by:

My L36 Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM
rloblaw
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My L36 Project

Happy New Year to you all. I have been following various threads including Roger's from the start and gaining a lot of knowledge from many but especially from DUB and Alan71 (Thanks a lot). I thought it might be time to share a little of my project. I am embarrassed to say it has been going on since 2013 and moving at a very slow pace. I travel a lot for work and garage time is rare and precious. The past few weeks I have been on vacation and was able to make some progress with what had me discouraged for the last couple of years where I could not get the front to sit right on the car due to some repairs that were not Bubba-worthy but not factory either. Here is my current state with a front bumper that now fits the car and with all the missing brackets replaced (maybe Bubba was here after all) and a hood that is now close to lining up with the fenders. I replaced the driver side inner fender and unbonded the passenger side to get a chance to properly locate everything. I replaced the front lower valence as well as it has been repaired and not very nicely.

Last edited by rloblaw; 01-01-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by rloblaw
Happy New Year to you all. I have been following various threads including Roger's from the start and gaining a lot of knowledge from many but especially from DUB and Alan71 (Thanks a lot). I thought it might be time to share a little of my project. I am embarrassed to say it has been going on since 2013 and moving at a very slow pace. I travel a lot for work and garage time is rare and precious. The past few weeks I have been on vacation and was able to make some progress with what had me discouraged for the last couple of years where I could not get the front to sit right on the car due to some repairs that were not Bubba-worthy but not factory either. Here is my current state with a front bumper that now fits the car and with all the missing brackets replaced (maybe Bubba was here after all) and a hood that is now close to lining up with the fenders. I replaced the driver side inner fender and unbonded the passenger side to get a chance to properly locate everything. I replaced the front lower valence as well as it has been repaired and not very nicely.

Looks like a nice project and so far so good. You have been watching the right 2 people from the forum.
Good Luck
RVZIO
Old 01-01-2018, 06:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi rio,
Happy New Year!

Time certainly has a way of slipping by when the project is as involved as yours appears to be.
BUT... a 427 69 coupe is generally well worth whatever effort it takes!

So, keep at it and Good Luck!!
Regards,
Alan

I don't see the wiper grill in place, just the wiper door.... they should both be installed temporarily when you're working on the fit of the hood.
Has it been on the car?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:12 PM
rloblaw
Heel & Toe

Hi Alan, yes, the wiper grill was with the car - I just don't have the correct screws yet to hold it in place. I have been dropping it in place to check the fit.

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi rio,
Happy New Year!

Time certainly has a way of slipping by when the project is as involved as yours appears to be.
BUT... a 427 69 coupe is generally well worth whatever effort it takes!

So, keep at it and Good Luck!!
Regards,
Alan

I don't see the wiper grill in place, just the wiper door.... they should both be installed temporarily when you're working on the fit of the hood.
Has it been on the car?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM
rloblaw
Heel & Toe

Default T-Top Trim...

One of today's jobs was to remove the T-Top trim to check the condition of the metal underneath. I was pleasantly surprised to see the minimal rust in the windshield frame and T-Top bar. I guess I don't have to learn yet to weld like Roger.

Last edited by rloblaw; 01-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

I am embarrassed to say it has been going on since 2013 and moving at a very slow pace.
Nothing to be embarrassed about, i broke a shifter cable in 2006 and just finished this past spring. mission creep, kids,and work do that
Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Great project and I totally understand how difficult it can be to find time to play in the garage.

Looks like you made some great progress!
Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 PM
rloblaw
Heel & Toe

Interesting discovery with a good outcome... I compared my tank sticker "job number" (156) with the grease pencil markings (d/s floorboard, in front of gas tank, behind drivers seat) and they did not agree (grease pencil markings are 205) despite the VIN agreeing with the tank sticker. Looks my car is one of the ones where the body was delayed for some reason (repair/repaint) and in the end the car got a different body. While researching this, I noticed that the tank sticker shows an expected production date of 10-Jan-1969 yet the trim tag shows "G07" (looks like a "C" but that is another well known anomaly) so the car was "built" nearly a month later on 7-Feb-1969.
Makes me wonder what grease pencil markings are on the car that would've corresponded to the "205" job number?

Last edited by rloblaw; 01-03-2018 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tewski (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:11 PM
rloblaw
Heel & Toe

Default Spoke too soon...

Minimal rust he said... Unfortunately, the one top corner had more than minimal rust when I removed the windshield today. Part is on order from Paragon. I think I am getting off easy given that the windshield apparently was leaking but the car was kept under cover including being parked since 1981.

Last edited by rloblaw; 01-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

Interesting discovery with a good outcome... I compared my tank sticker "job number" (156) with the grease pencil markings (d/s floorboard, in front of gas tank, behind drivers seat) and they did not agree (grease pencil markings are 205) despite the VIN agreeing with the tank sticker. Looks my car is one of the ones where the body was delayed for some reason (repair/repaint) and in the end the car got a different body. While researching this, I noticed that the tank sticker shows an expected production date of 10-Jan-1969 yet the trim tag shows "G07" (looks like a "C" but that is another well known anomaly) so the car was "built" nearly a month later on 7-Feb-1969.
Makes me wonder what grease pencil markings are on the car that would've corresponded to the "205" job number?
This is interesting and made me go look at mine, my tank sticker shows 400 but the markings on the car are 421, i have no idea how common this was. Good call out.

Last edited by Tewski; 01-03-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:52 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

I believe the "156" on your tank sticker is not the job number but should be the last 3 digits of your vin. That's how it works on my 69.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:00 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Minimal rust he said... Unfortunately, the one top corner had more than minimal rust when I removed the windshield today. Part is on order from Paragon. I think I am getting off easy given that the windshield apparently was leaking but the car was kept under cover including being parked since 1981.

Yes you got off easy for sure. I made a copy of the clip locations which is still something I need to do. I also used the Paragon parts. Worked very well. Depending who does the repair be aware that the center T top support is under a load and will spring back a little when cut.
RVZIO

The following users liked this post:
rloblaw (01-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To My L36 Project

Quick Reply: My L36 Project