Sponsored by:

69 LS3/Tremec Magnum 6sp Restomod Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 69 LS3/Tremec Magnum 6sp Restomod Project

Just got my 69 out of paint shop which only took 8 weeks.....all time record compared to my prior paint jobs. The color is Porsche titanium metallic base/clear coat. Now the fun begins as I purchased this from an individual who didn't have time to finish. The purchase included a mostly restored body/frame off performance update and a ton of new parts. Here's just a few of the parts that came with the 69:

* LS3 out of a 2008 C6 with complete comp cams roller upgrade that resulted in 500hp.
* New Tremec Magnum 6sp trans including new Z06 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate
* New Van Steel front tubular a-arms with coil over adjustable shocks, large front/rear sway bars, rear coil overs and offset trailing arms
* New Wilwood front 14" rotors with 6 piston calipers/rear 13" rotors with 4 piston rotors
* New LS3 modified wiring harness/reflashed computer/drive by wire gas pedal
* Tons of new interior parts and exterior emblems/new chromed bumpers,etc.
* I've purchased new Borgeson quick ratio p/s box, Wilwood master cylinder and portportioning valve, new ceramic headers

The challenge for me is the car was not dismantled by me so this will be a giant zigsaw puzzle for me to put back together. I have all the manuals for the 69. So let the fun begin......here's a few pictures of my project
Attached Images         
Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

That paint came out BEAUTIFULLY! It looks gorgeous!

The project itself should be fun as it seems like you have most/all of the parts.

One thing that I did notice is that you will need to modify the shifter on your T56 as the one that is on there is not offset for a C3. There are companies that make the correct shifter if you prefer to purchase rather than modify.

Good luck with your build!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Very similar build to my LS3 T56 72 Vette. A lot of the same components as mine. Any questions let me know.

Here is my build thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-my-72-a.html

Last edited by Gordonm; 01-02-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:09 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default 69 vette

Going to be a sweet ride. Plan to use the same front and rear coil over setup for my next project. Ls and tranny perfect and another thing I plan. Keep us posted on how things go. Paint job and color are awesome!

RVZIO
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

That's a super nice colour for a C3 - going to be a great car!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 PM
1rad55
Racer

Default Thanks Gordonm

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Very similar build to my LS3 T56 72 Vette. A lot of the same components as mine. Any questions let me know.

Here is my build thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-my-72-a.html
Just checked out your thread which is very impressive.....especially the power steering clearance details! I will certainly subscribe to your build thread!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1rad55
Just checked out your thread which is very impressive.....especially the power steering clearance details! I will certainly subscribe to your build thread!

I have gotten a little side tracked with this build if you read the entire post you would see that. I have been through a few life changing events during the build so it is not complete but it is running and barely driveable at the moment. I also built a FFR cobra during this which is a whole different animal. Eventually it will get done and be driving, hopefully this year. I have a lot of other projects and some other forum members cars I'm working on. Currently my car is in Davids garage for the winter while I get his Racer project moving along.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:06 AM
1rad55
Racer

Default Hydraulic Clutch Question

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I have gotten a little side tracked with this build if you read the entire post you would see that. I have been through a few life changing events during the build so it is not complete but it is running and barely driveable at the moment. I also built a FFR cobra during this which is a whole different animal. Eventually it will get done and be driving, hopefully this year. I have a lot of other projects and some other forum members cars I'm working on. Currently my car is in Davids garage for the winter while I get his Racer project moving along.
Thanks Gordon.....quick question on what type of clutch master cylinder did you use? Also bracket used to attach to firewall and clutch petal rod to activate clutch. Any available pictures would be appreciated and recommendations!

Chuck
Old 01-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Thanks Gordon.....quick question on what type of clutch master cylinder did you use? Also bracket used to attach to firewall and clutch petal rod to activate clutch. Any available pictures would be appreciated and recommendations!

Chuck
I used a Tilton mc. I can't recall the bore size at the moment. The bracket I used was from SST or the old keisler. I had a friend there who was able to source me just the bracket and then I just used a Heim jointed rod to the clutch pedal. I just installed a new setup in the car in my garage. It is a 72 using a Hyd setup. The bracket was fully adjustable, you can adjust the angle and it had a heim joint on the pedal end. I know I have some pictures of that and if I had to do it again this would be a nice setup.

Here is the setup. Not cheap but it works very well.

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-3205...inder-kit.html

Or you can get just the bracket and use your own MC

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-6500...acket-kit.html

Scroll down on the pictures here and you can see the pictures I have done for Davids car on the hyd clutch setup.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sought-43.html

Last edited by Gordonm; 01-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1rad55 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:41 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My '69 build sounds very similar to yours with the except I went with Ridetech. You will love it when its done, like a completely different car. If you need pictures or have questions just let me know.

Good luck with the build

Last edited by CPTCroaker; 01-03-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:53 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,404 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Wow!! Very nice cant wait to see more!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

WOW- nice stack of parts to start with. Paint looks fantastic!!!

I'm running the same suspension and brakes....a little different engine that has 4 more cylinders!!!

my build- https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vette-v12.html

For the Hyd clutch - I went with a Wilwood and made a 1/2 aluminum plate to mount it next to the brake MC.

And for some extra clearance used banjo bolts for the brake lines.

Richard

Oh - and for the Brake lines up front- what worked best was a 17" SS line with a 90º going to the Caliper and an AN-3 45º from the hardline.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:41 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Looks like it's going to be a sweet ride! Nice looking 67 next to it too. Any pics of that?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 PM
1rad55
Racer

Default Question

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
That paint came out BEAUTIFULLY! It looks gorgeous!

The project itself should be fun as it seems like you have most/all of the parts.

One thing that I did notice is that you will need to modify the shifter on your T56 as the one that is on there is not offset for a C3. There are companies that make the correct shifter if you prefer to purchase rather than modify.

Good luck with your build!
Do you have any info on what companies have the offset shifter> Please advise!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 PM
1rad55
Racer

Default 66 Resto Mod Coupe

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Looks like it's going to be a sweet ride! Nice looking 67 next to it too. Any pics of that?
That's my 66 Resto Mod coupe that I built the last two years and was my first Corvette. It's painted torch red with 450 lbs torque 383 stroker/ roller motor, 5sp Tremec, Front/rear Ridetech susp , Z06 brakes components, Corvette Design fender flairs, 18"x9" / 20"x10" Budnik rims, Vintage A/c, etc, etc. Turned out to be a fabulous car....especially the acceleration and handling! Here's a couple of pictures. Thanks for asking!
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2018, 07:33 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Do you have any info on what companies have the offset shifter> Please advise!
Silver Sport Transmisstions, American Powertrain, McLeod.

I have a McLeod, looks like this:

Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Chuck
I highly recommend the Silver Sport (former Keisler) firewall bracket and Wilwood clutch master setup. It bolted right up and fit like a charm. My setup uses an LT1 slave but the master is the same LS master.
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 PM
1rad55
Racer

Default Bracket Questiob

Originally Posted by Neil B
I highly recommend the Silver Sport (former Keisler) firewall bracket and Wilwood clutch master setup. It bolted right up and fit like a charm. My setup uses an LT1 slave but the master is the same LS master.
Thanks for info.....do you have a picture that shows the bracket that angles the m/c to match up with clutch rod to achieve the 6 to 1 ratio?

Get notified of new replies

To 69 LS3/Tremec Magnum 6sp Restomod Project

Quick Reply: 69 LS3/Tremec Magnum 6sp Restomod Project