C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbee from Germany looking for a C3 L71 :-)

Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM
turbojoey
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbee from Germany looking for a C3 L71 :-)

Hey Guys,
my name is Jochen Müller, i am 41 years old, married, two little boys (1y, 4y) and i am living with my family in a nice house 10mi far away from Stuttgart. So please forgive my bad english skills..i learned only @ school and during my job...Now i almost finished renovating our house for seven years ...so maybe ive got some time for a new hobby...Corvette C3 BB ;-)
I am working for 15 years now at development of car parts...last 10 years developing of turbocharger technologies - 5 years advanced development, 5 years testing & validation of tc...if u have got any questions regarding turbochargers dont hesitate asking me....my job and my old turbocharged, tuned cars explain my nickname...but now i want a pure natural aspired engine for the weekend as long as these babys are still available ;-)

So i am looking for a original, matching numbers 1969 Corvette c3 Targa with a L71 Tripower, manual transmission, black interieur and if possible black body paint and sidepipes ;-)
In the US there are really a lot of C3 in comparison to Europe - so i hope to find my dream car in US and maybe i can get some help from you

First question..i found 1 Corvette exactly what i am looking for:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2051430.html

But it is an Auction :-(...can someone explain me how does that work? Is this something like EBAY? Is there a possibillity to contact the seller directly? only 14 days left :-( not really lot to check the car ;-(

Hope i can get some help here....Thx a lot...

TJ
Old 01-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the Forum, TJ!
The C3 you showed that you are considering is very nice looking and should be an enjoyable Vette.
You are correct, the auction is much like eBay. You have to register for the Barrett Jackson auction ahead of time and all that information is shown on their web site.
Best wishes with the auction!
By the way, your English is very good.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Jochen - welcome to the forum, but instead of having you post this same information over again in the appropriate section to get answers to your questions, I am going to move it to the C3 General section. Good luck finding the car you want.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Turbojoey, please check the thread "Black/black l-71 at Bj auction " close to your post. I found it a page back, lots of info on the car you were looking at, it's not what they say it is. Mark
The following users liked this post:
Route99 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Syl1953
Turbojoey, please check the thread "Black/black l-71 at Bj auction " close to your post. I found it a page back, lots of info on the car you were looking at, it's not what they say it is. Mark
Jochen, this is one of the great things about the Forum; many members willing to help others out! Syl1953, thank you for this useful information!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 AM
turbojoey
Navigator

THANKS a lot for the warm welcome - very nice to get so fast feedback and information!
Especially Thanks to Syl1953 for the link!!!

I read the whole thread - sorry i am not a natural speaker and addtional a C3 newbie, but summarized i got following information:

con:
- car is no matching numbers (engine to chassis)
- several part are not original (radio etc.)

pro:
- original color was tuxedo black
- good painting and condition @ all?

So summarized what do you think is the value of this car? 40-50k$?

TJ
Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

My major concern is the salvage title, or paperwork to car, or car itself being lost, damaged, pieced together in its lifetime. Will your country accept such paperwork? Best to check in to it before going further.
Yes, the car is beautiful, color great, non original motor not a deal breaker if you pay accordingly. But the title......that would take away any and all interest for me. $40,000 - $50,000 yes. But some people may not have the information you now have and it could go way, way up$$$$$$$, Mark
Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 AM
turbojoey
Navigator

Hi Syl1953,
you are right...in the moment i am still in the orientation phase and have to get a feeling for the price and especially price differences between matching numbers - non mn and all in all condition of such a car...then especially the price differences between Europe and US ;-)

I will not buy a car thousand miles away only with a mouseclick ;-)

Regarding papers i will check in the german Forum and ask for help...thanks a lot for your help and really good advises!!!

KR,
TJ
Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TJ,
Welcome!
Maybe a 69 bb for you! NICE!

The car you described in your first post....1969, Coupe, 427, 435 hp, 4-speed, side exhaust, black exterior, black interior, original engine... is a VERY desirable car for someone interested in 68-72 Corvettes.

To find one that was that exact combination when it LEFT the plant in St.Louis will be difficult, and when one is available, it's a very expensive car.

Because it's such a popular combination many cars have been 'built' to match that configuration. The question then is what are THOSE cars' values compared to the ORIGINAL cars' values.

It becomes imperative that you learn enough about 69 Corvettes that you can understand what the car is AND know enough about what cars sell for so that you can decide what a car is worth, and what you would be willing to pay for it.

If you want to lear about 69 Corvettes you can start with:

The NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide.
The Vett-Vues Fact Book of the 1968-1972 Stingray. M.F.Dobbins
The 1969 Stingray Guide Book. Bizzoco

These will be in English but your knowledge of English you display in your posts should help you gain from them.

So, begin with some 'homework' so you can become a knowledgable buyer!

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-04-2018 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
turbojoey (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:04 PM
turbojoey
Navigator

THANKS a lot - that would have been my next question ;-)
Last week i already ordered a black book, which was recommended from a guy in the german corvette forum...hope i will find there all chasis/engine numbers...

I am most interested in a book with a lot of detailed pictures of the car and explosion views especially from the engine and its attachement parts...additional repair manuals for engine etc....
Do you think i should buy all the books you recommend or choose one or two? Are they so different? Can you give me a short feedback which book contains which infos respectively intention of the book? Online there ist not really good summary...

1. The NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide. manual/repair instructions?
2. The Vett-Vues Fact Book of the 1968-1972 Stingray. M.F.Dobbins
3. The 1969 Stingray Guide Book. Bizzoco
4. Corvette Black Book

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!

KR,
TJ

PS: If someone among you C3-experts visiting germany near Stuttgart at a business trip or for vacation give me a call and i will invite you for delicious german beer ;-)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi TJ,
I think all three of the books I listed would be valuable in helping you become knowledgable about 69 bb cars.
They're quite different from each other.
They will be a small investment compared to the money buying a 69 bb car will take.
Regards,
Alan

Here's an example of the sort information in the 68-69 TIM&JG.
260 pages and more than 500 photos.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-04-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:20 PM
turbojoey
Navigator

Is one of the book also a manual e.g. how to adjust the carburetor or details regarding tightening torque for the screws and so on...?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:07 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Hi Mr. Germany :- )

Welcome to the forum.
A 69 would be (in my mind) a great car, it is a very good Corvette year, and to go for 6 pack and side pipes makes it even better.

And I agree with the other, your English is fine :- )

Regards,
John
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

Welcome to the forum,I found your post interesting because my 69 L71 was purchased in Germany through AUTOHAUS FRITZ OPEL.Let me clarify,the car was never in Germany,it was purchased by a soldier stationed in Germany.It was delivered to Miami from the factory even though his home address was Jacksonville,Fla.(very far away).In my opinion I would never buy a car with a salvage title. Mike
Old 01-05-2018, 10:41 AM
turbojoey
Navigator

Hi John,
great car.. i know...i am not fixed to get an complete original black...other color could be ok too (only the darkgreen looks very boring)...
I only heard @ germany, that a new body finish is veery expensive, if you want good quality...you have to grind dry or use a warm fan to get rid of the old color...NO liquids - otherwise 2 years later you will have got bubbles!!!
They told me in germany you can pay upto 20k€ ;-(...

We will see....first i have to drive one to get a feeling for the power...

@blue427: nice story ;-) if these cars could talk we would hear a lot of nice stories...maybe some x-rated too ...

So...tomorrow i make a list of all 69 corvettes i find online with price and spec... ;-)

What are the best adresses in US to look for a car?

Hemmings
Craigslist
MyClassicGarage
Bringatrailer
Barnfinds
ClassicCars
eBayMotors
???

If the power of a triower is not enough...Are there possibilities to pimp the engine easily? I read in Germany someone build in a LS6 intakeflow w/ another carburetor ...
Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Sir Tripower
Racer

Gude Jochen,

as I can see, You've found the way to the U.S.-Forum - and have got the help I had promised.

For the literature I would recommend the "1969 Stingray Guidebook" (Bizzoco) and the "Vette Vues Fact Book of the 1968-1972 Stingray" (Dobbins) for first studies. The "NCRS-Judging-Maunal" is very special and should be the next step.

For the engine, you should look for L68 too. That is also a "Tripower"-carburated engine, but with hydro-lifters instead of solid ones, that makes it easier to service. The lack of power is marginal.

For the paint you should not forget, that there might be no more beautifull colour but black - but only when it is freshly washed and polished. Driving the car makes it look quite dirty und dusty, even after a short trip. I always wanted a black car for myself - until I got one. Since than, I'm healed .....

Greets from the german Taunus

Tripower (Gerrit)

Last edited by Sir Tripower; 01-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Zoix
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default L71

Welcome Jochen good luck with the 1969 L71 hunt. I used to work for an outfit based in Ostfildern by the name of Gehring GMBH just south of you.

Originally Posted by turbojoey
Hey Guys,
my name is Jochen Müller, i am 41 years old, married, two little boys (1y, 4y) and i am living with my family in a nice house 10mi far away from Stuttgart. So please forgive my bad english skills..i learned only @ school and during my job...Now i almost finished renovating our house for seven years ...so maybe ive got some time for a new hobby...Corvette C3 BB ;-)
I am working for 15 years now at development of car parts...last 10 years developing of turbocharger technologies - 5 years advanced development, 5 years testing & validation of tc...if u have got any questions regarding turbochargers dont hesitate asking me....my job and my old turbocharged, tuned cars explain my nickname...but now i want a pure natural aspired engine for the weekend as long as these babys are still available ;-)

So i am looking for a original, matching numbers 1969 Corvette c3 Targa with a L71 Tripower, manual transmission, black interieur and if possible black body paint and sidepipes ;-)
In the US there are really a lot of C3 in comparison to Europe - so i hope to find my dream car in US and maybe i can get some help from you

First question..i found 1 Corvette exactly what i am looking for:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2051430.html

But it is an Auction :-(...can someone explain me how does that work? Is this something like EBAY? Is there a possibillity to contact the seller directly? only 14 days left :-( not really lot to check the car ;-(

Hope i can get some help here....Thx a lot...

TJ

Get notified of new replies

To newbee from Germany looking for a C3 L71 :-)

Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM
kjd
Advanced

Hi Turbojoey, welcome aboard!

I have more information about this particular car if you are still interested in it, including many pre-restoration photos and the current owner's contact info.

If interested, PM me with an email address and I'll follow-up.

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi tj,
The books I listed are geared to giving you some of the knowledge needed in order to make a wise decision about buying a car.

"I am most interested in a book with a lot of detailed pictures of the car and explosion views especially from the engine and its attachement parts...additional repair manuals for engine etc...."

You're question is more to do with using/maintaining the car you purchase.
For that I'd recommend:
The GM 1969 Assembly instruction Manual (AIM).
The GM 1969 Chassis Service Manual.

Here's the examples of those publications for 71 cars.

Regards,
Alan

A typical page from the AIM.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:25 PM
turbojoey
Navigator

@Gerrit: Yeah i found the way - thx a lot for the amazing tip ;-) The books i will order immediately...
@Zoix: Hope you enjoyed Germany ;-) My brother is linving in Schönbuch...few km far away...nice place...and nice black C3 ;-) If you are back in Stuggi again send me a mail and we meet personal...
@kjd: i will send you a PM..imaybe the car will not be sold in the auction..for a good price i am still interestes, if the cr looks really like the photos...
@Alan: Really astonishing whats all available for this old car..perfect...when i found my baby i will buy the manual...THX!!!

I wish you all a nice weekend!!!!!

TJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newbee from Germany looking for a C3 L71 :-)