Sponsored by:

1972 350/200hp - What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

I would be inclined to pay more for a car with original engine.
I think in the corvette world, and other classics
we come to put a premium on numbers.

that doesn't mean it has to be stock
Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
As far as I know there is no 'hassle' with building a 383 beyond the extra clearancing to the block to allow for the rods. Other than that, everything else that I have to buy or do will be the same for a 350 or 383, so why not build the extra cubes? The cost is nearly identical.

Anyway, I already have aluminum heads, roller cam, aluminum intake, and full roller valvetrain waiting. There is also a T56 sitting in my garage which will be mated to it.
I was unaware that you had those components.......still.....if your 350 has good compression and checks out otherwise.....stick all of that on there and go have fun

But if you want to build a 383.......I recommend just getting a nice short block from a good builder......or build one out of different block.
Either way...have fun.

Jebby
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I would use your existing block if going a GM block 383. Mine is an awesome engine! But my next engine will be a Dart (or similar) block and >400 cubes... Give it some thought, you pay extra for the block up front, but it can be rebored a heap of times and has a number of advantages over the stock GM block. The extra bore size helps the heads to breathe too. Depends how much hp you think you want I guess.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
I would use your existing block if going a GM block 383. Mine is an awesome engine! But my next engine will be a Dart (or similar) block and >400 cubes... Give it some thought, you pay extra for the block up front, but it can be rebored a heap of times and has a number of advantages over the stock GM block. The extra bore size helps the heads to breathe too. Depends how much hp you think you want I guess.
I am building a driver and keeping it relatively mild at around 450ish HP so I will likely stick to a GM block. I could try to build crazy power out of this but no matter how big I make it, it will still feel slow to me so I am not going to bother :/

Quick Reply: 1972 350/200hp - What is it worth?