Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 350/200hp - What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts
Default 1972 350/200hp - What is it worth?

I am trying to decide if I should sell this engine complete and get a used block to build my 383 or if I should just use the one that I have.

It is a 58k original engine mated to a TH400 that is running.

What is this worth? Is there a market for a complete 350/200hp engine from a 72?

If I can cover the cost of the short block by selling the original engine than it makes sense.

Your advice is appreciated!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

If you buy a short block to build your stroker, you'll need a bunch of little things that will nickel and dime you to death, but things you already have on your complete motor. But why not just use your existing motor to build your 383. You can buy a stroker kit from a dozen places like PAW for a reasonable price and just have your block machined as needed. If I was going that route, I would build a 427 small block stump puller with a mild cam and not put a lot of money in the heads and top end. If you got the bucks, a set of aluminum heads (even the Chinese ones) will add some performance and save a lot of weight.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Short of a few rare ones like lt1s a sb vette engine isnt really worth more than any other sb engine except that numbers matching stigma

keep your 350 build some insane stroker and still brag your 72 is numbers matching...
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 360 Posts

in ten years you will kick yourself in the butt for selling it!!!
The following users liked this post:
Greg (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:46 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
If you buy a short block to build your stroker, you'll need a bunch of little things that will nickel and dime you to death, but things you already have on your complete motor. But why not just use your existing motor to build your 383. You can buy a stroker kit from a dozen places like PAW for a reasonable price and just have your block machined as needed. If I was going that route, I would build a 427 small block stump puller with a mild cam and not put a lot of money in the heads and top end. If you got the bucks, a set of aluminum heads (even the Chinese ones) will add some performance and save a lot of weight.
All true. Thank you for your input. I already have the top end of the motor (aluminum heads, cam, etc) so just looking for the bottom end and deciding on which way to go.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Short of a few rare ones like lt1s a sb vette engine isnt really worth more than any other sb engine except that numbers matching stigma

keep your 350 build some insane stroker and still brag your 72 is numbers matching...
haha, you know the numbers matching thing means nothing to me but I totally get your point. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Originally Posted by Bills72n84
in ten years you will kick yourself in the butt for selling it!!!
Well, it is a base 350 coupe so it will never be worth restoring back to NCRS. If not going NCRS, there doesn't seem to be any reason that I can think of to keep it original. Plus I don't intend on ever selling the car =).
Old 01-06-2018, 01:17 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I got 350 bucks for a running rebuilt 350, a rebuilt with spun rod, a cracked 350 for rot assy for spun motor, and a bare 010 block. And felt lucky to find a buyer.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

To clarify i meant use your block to build the stroker,
Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The13Bats
To clarify i meant use your block to build the stroker,
Yep, I got that and it is what I will do.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:31 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Why don’t you take that original block, wrap it in plastic and put it aside for the day you DO sell it (you will). You will be shocked how many people do care about numbers matching when you sell and it will be worth far more to you that day.

Buy a cheap block and go wild with it, put a million miles on it, blow it up, whatever. Be shrewd and save this one.

I know it’s cool to not care about numbers matching but don’t throw money away.
The following users liked this post:
Bills17n72 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Why don’t you take that original block, wrap it in plastic and put it aside for the day you DO sell it (you will). You will be shocked how many people do care about numbers matching when you sell and it will be worth far more to you that day.

Buy a cheap block and go wild with it, put a million miles on it, blow it up, whatever. Be shrewd and save this one.

BEST response right there pal. Save the original engine. Grease it up and wrap it tightly. It is worth pennies to anyone except the owner of your car (you or future owner).
Go buy a nasty big block and smoke tires all you want. Someday, that greased up wrapped up block will pay you back to the right buyer.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:02 AM
C7-Daddy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
I am trying to decide if I should sell this engine complete and get a used block to build my 383 or if I should just use the one that I have.

It is a 58k original engine mated to a TH400 that is running.

What is this worth? Is there a market for a complete 350/200hp engine from a 72?

If I can cover the cost of the short block by selling the original engine than it makes sense.

Your advice is appreciated!
Do you know it is 100% stock and un-touched? We ran into the exact same issue with a 71 C3 we are rebuilding and when we pulled the motor and tore it apart, the Clevite bearings, fresh soft plugs and many other small items showed the motor was rebuilt. How much is a stock rebuilt motor worth? IMHO, it is worth the same to someone as your 383 is with the stock block.

Let's be real, how many people want to store a motor just to have a bunch of factory matching junk. It is all junk to a point. If anyone was to restore it and use it, they would have to rebuild the motor and many parts would not be re-used. Many people don't have or want to take up space with this.

The stock 350 is a 2 bolt main and is a heavy thick block that is good for a 383 as long as you do not go too wild. Use ARP studs everywhere.

If you want to know exactly what it costs and all parts we used, follow our thread on our build. on the Green Monster in this forum. Or out YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0G...ZtIVaI-mUGsh9Q
Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Prostreeter1
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

When I bought my 68 restomod last summer the PO owner rebuilt and bagged the original 350/350 motor and sat it in the corner of his garage. He was absolutely sure he was never going to sell the car, until I came along

He had a real nasty, BB attitude ,408CI built for the car and when I inquired about selling the car the bagged engine came with the selling price. Told him to keep the engine, I don't want it as this car is so custom the original engine means nothing to me.

I've seen the engine on Ebay and no bids. If the engine means nothing to me it means less to anyone else since I own the original car.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

As mentioned it's just another low performance SBC, outside the original car. used long blocks - depending on the sellers need to sell run $500-$700 around here. Some expect more but there are still a lot of them around and hot rodders are going to LS motors killing the price on the older plain jane motors. I have a 75 L48 complete long block and L82 apart. The L82 is the better motor but I am going to use the L48 for my 69 driver and sell the L82.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:41 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

I just don't see it as throwing money away. The entire car will be modded to the point that no person in their right mind would ever consider returning it to stock which is the only way that a numbers matching engine would be worth more.

Originally Posted by C7-Daddy
Do you know it is 100% stock and un-touched? We ran into the exact same issue with a 71 C3 we are rebuilding and when we pulled the motor and tore it apart, the Clevite bearings, fresh soft plugs and many other small items showed the motor was rebuilt. How much is a stock rebuilt motor worth? IMHO, it is worth the same to someone as your 383 is with the stock block.

Let's be real, how many people want to store a motor just to have a bunch of factory matching junk. It is all junk to a point. If anyone was to restore it and use it, they would have to rebuild the motor and many parts would not be re-used. Many people don't have or want to take up space with this.

The stock 350 is a 2 bolt main and is a heavy thick block that is good for a 383 as long as you do not go too wild. Use ARP studs everywhere.

If you want to know exactly what it costs and all parts we used, follow our thread on our build. on the Green Monster in this forum. Or out YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0G...ZtIVaI-mUGsh9Q
All I know at this point is that the block is correct for the car. After that I have no idea if it has been gone into internally.

I am aware of the costs associated with building this and I have been to your thread (great job btw!). ARP studs are already in my shop =).

The entire build is looking to be around 450hp so I know that the block will do fine either way. Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted by Prostreeter1
When I bought my 68 restomod last summer the PO owner rebuilt and bagged the original 350/350 motor and sat it in the corner of his garage. He was absolutely sure he was never going to sell the car, until I came along

He had a real nasty, BB attitude ,408CI built for the car and when I inquired about selling the car the bagged engine came with the selling price. Told him to keep the engine, I don't want it as this car is so custom the original engine means nothing to me.

I've seen the engine on Ebay and no bids. If the engine means nothing to me it means less to anyone else since I own the original car.
This is exactly why I wouldn't care about keeping it. It is simply a block to me; a means to an end. My post was only inquiring is if there were a market for a 72 era running 350 beyond what the parts were worth. It seems that is not the case so there is no point in trying to sell it. I will simply use it as the platform for my 383.

Originally Posted by GTR1999
As mentioned it's just another low performance SBC, outside the original car. used long blocks - depending on the sellers need to sell run $500-$700 around here. Some expect more but there are still a lot of them around and hot rodders are going to LS motors killing the price on the older plain jane motors. I have a 75 L48 complete long block and L82 apart. The L82 is the better motor but I am going to use the L48 for my 69 driver and sell the L82.
Thanks for the input Gary!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 518 Likes on 344 Posts

you wont be able to sell that engine for enough to buy a new short block, so I would just keep it and mod it.

you get the best of both worlds- high performance motor that is still numbers matching.

as long as you don't have some catastrophic failure, your car is still numbers matching.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:24 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm over hot rodding, stock is good enough for me old or new when it comes to Corvettes.

BUT, if I were to do it again I would go with a LS transplant. Find a good used engine and take advantage of all the great parts that are available and dedicated to these swaps.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:25 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

re-use and rebuild it . maybe just make sure if it ends up at a machine shop they don't wipe the stamps off it , then you could have the 383 and make it look like the original factory motor , until you turn it on !

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 350/200hp - What is it worth?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
you wont be able to sell that engine for enough to buy a new short block, so I would just keep it and mod it.

you get the best of both worlds- high performance motor that is still numbers matching.

as long as you don't have some catastrophic failure, your car is still numbers matching.
Exactly so. Thanks!

Originally Posted by car junkie
I'm over hot rodding, stock is good enough for me old or new when it comes to Corvettes.

BUT, if I were to do it again I would go with a LS transplant. Find a good used engine and take advantage of all the great parts that are available and dedicated to these swaps.
Thanks for your input but I am not interested in an LS swap in this car. Maybe next project, who knows.

Originally Posted by bazza77
re-use and rebuild it . maybe just make sure if it ends up at a machine shop they don't wipe the stamps off it , then you could have the 383 and make it look like the original factory motor , until you turn it on !
Oh, there is no 'if'. The block will go to the machine shop for cleaning, boring, align-honing, cam bearings, and '383' clearancing (I may be missing a few steps :-p). Thank you for the reminder though to ensure that they do not wipe out the block stamps.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Here is an angle......rebuild the 350. Put a roller cam, some good Dart, AFR or Brodix heads on it and a top shelf intake and fuel system......
If you do it right......you will never miss a 383.....I promise.
Want to have more fun? Ditch the TH400 (or keep it around) and put a 4 or 5 speed in it.
Smiles per Mile is very high on a reliable 350/4 speed combo.Me personally would not bother with a 383 and if I wanted a Bad *** motor.....I would go 406 or larger.
The 30-50 foot pounds the 83' gives is not worth the hassle IMHO.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 01-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:42 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Here is an angle......rebuild the 350. Put a roller cam, some good Dart, AFR or Brodix heads on it and a top shelf intake and fuel system......
If you do it right......you will never miss a 383.....I promise.
Want to have more fun? Ditch the TH400 (or keep it around) and put a 4 or 5 speed in it.
Smiles per Mile is very high on a reliable 350/4 speed combo.Me personally would not bother with a 383 and if I wanted a Bad *** motor.....I would go 406 or larger.
The 30-50 foot pounds the 83' gives is not worth the hassle IMHO.

Jebby
As far as I know there is no 'hassle' with building a 383 beyond the extra clearancing to the block to allow for the rods. Other than that, everything else that I have to buy or do will be the same for a 350 or 383, so why not build the extra cubes? The cost is nearly identical.

Anyway, I already have aluminum heads, roller cam, aluminum intake, and full roller valvetrain waiting. There is also a T56 sitting in my garage which will be mated to it.

Quick Reply: 1972 350/200hp - What is it worth?