Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z069? LS7 in my C3

Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Saturday was busy with friends.
Sunday however found me with a couple of hours free so back to my Shark!
After several attempts to mount the computer and reassembling the passenger dash, I finally found a place for the engine computer that works.

It is super snug right there!
I was able to put the dash back together and screwed in place!
Nice!

The transmission computer was next. Since it clearly states it can survive the engine bay, i mounted it on the firewall where the wiper door plunger thing goes. Holes already there, just bolt it in!

Next, I unmounted the already mounted fuse box so I could stuff wires through the firewall. OBDII plug went in easy, MIL wires went in ( not sure what those are yet) , but the throttle wire was a no go. Plug is just to big. My thoughts are to pull the throttle cable and enlarge that hole. Not done yet.

My bride came home so off to help her with stuff and cook dinner soon!
Easy day.
Scott
The following 2 users liked this post by 69_Shark:
1974Pantera (03-27-2020), MACE_Hardware (10-08-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 04:46 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

At the suggestion of a good friend I decided to install half shaft loops.
they arrived Friday! Saturday I could not budge the bolts on the half shafts at the wheel end. So I soaked them in anti seize over night! Sunday I was able to break all loose with no issues. Took me about 2 hours taking my time. I unbolted each half shaft at the wheel. Not at the pumpkin. I then used a pry bar to uncouple each from the hub. Once loose but not removed, I used my Chinese puzzle skills to slip each loop over the shafts! Note they are different. There is a loop for the passenger side and one for the driver side. I bolted the half shafts back in place befor bolting the loops. The rest is pretty easy following a video online. Easy sell to my bride as these are a safety item.
Scott

Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Using the half shaft as the upper control arm always seemed hugely iffy (scientific term) to me. Are there kits to add a real upper control arm? Seems like such a kit would be pretty involved unless the pivots would be perfectly aligned with the shaft joints. (Or the shaft ends could be modified to not be fixed at the ends.)

Last edited by MACE_Hardware; 10-15-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

There are indeed suspension upgrades to the rear end of the C3's however I am not familiar with what you are asking and describing.
This company does make a 6-link kit but have no idea as to why I might want it in my application.

These loops are specifically made to protect the car from flopping half shafts should a u-joint give out.
I have experienced the failure of a uijoint on on of my own vehicles in the past and think for the price this is a reasonable precaution with the added HP I am getting with my LS.motor.

Scott
Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Side pipes are sold.

No work on my car this last weekend. Spent the weekend with my bride!

I have however decided to offer up local pickup of my SB side exhaust pipes.
They have been modified to fit the old block hugger headers on the old engine as well as an O2 sensor bung installed.
Included is the brand new white fiberglass factory style side covers pictured above next to my new pipes. Scroll up past the boat pics to see!
I'm asking $350 for the pipes and covers. Open to offers and trades of something really super cool! LOL!

I will post in c3 for sale once I get photos.so here is your chance if you are interested to make an offer. PM if interested!

I would not sell them but since I have installed a 427 I need the air flow of BB pipes!

More work coming soon!

Scott

Last edited by 69_Shark; 10-31-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

SOLD

Side exhaust is posted on Seattle Craigs list.
If you contact me there and are from this forum be sure to let me know!
Scott

Last edited by 69_Shark; 10-31-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

This evening was easy.
I mounted and hooked up the shifter cable on the transmission.
My bride was kind enough to run through the gears while I adjusted the arm linkage.

getting closer!

scott
Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Yikes. Frustrating Saturday.
It started out with me going out in the garage and bumping the floor jack.
The handle promptly decided to flip back and down right onto the fender of my Harley.
Nice. So I decided to hook up the last brake line to finish the line lock.
It had been fighting me. Well, Saturday was no different. After extremely carefully threading the line into the proportioning valve, I started to tighten up the last bit with a wrench and .. . . . yup. The brake line popped out taking the brass threads with it. Dang it. So I stopped for the day and ordered a new proportioning valve and brake line.

Sunday was better albeit time limited. I decided to pull the little Lokar dipstick out. It installed easy enough however once installed I could not get the dipstick back in!
Previously I had contacted Lokar, explained what I was doing and requested a part number for my needs to replace the one I have. I received the new LONG dipstick in a few days and it sat. Well, per the internet, if I freeze the thing before install it will go right in . . . YES! I did freeze it and the rubber simply slid right into place! Very nice! I mounted the other end on the passenger side above where the old heater core was! Very easy and quick job even with pulling a bell housing bolt and reinstalling it!

SO, a couple of steps backwards and one forward this weekend,
I am VERY close!

Scott
Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

My engine oil primer tool arrived yesterday!
Seems pretty pricey for a plastic tank and manual pump for the LS but I guess I need it!

Almost ready for fluids!

Scott

Last edited by 69_Shark; 10-31-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

This weekend my new proportioning valve and brake line arrived!
I took a while to get all the lines off the old valve one and back on the new one but hey!
I did it! A neighbor came over and caught my wife and I bleeding the brakes. It would seem she left a candle lit on the edge of her bathtub and it eventually caught the tub on fire! It is not an old school tub but a plastic one. She had an extinguisher and put it out. Be careful out there!
Next step was to wire the starter. I ran the wires and put rings on the ends only to find out the keyed purple wire requires a plug at the starter! Dang it. Another week while I wait for one from the interwebs.
I did trace the fuel pump wires and am ready to hook those up tonight. I'll also install a nice ground wire for the electric fans.

With being so close I decided to add some fluids. Yesterday I put 2 gallons of Mobile1 5w30 in the oil tank. No leaks! Well, so far! Then I decided to add coolant. While pouring I could hear it hit the floor. Doh! Now what. It would seem my new radiator has a valve on the drain which was open! So I crawled under, spun the wing nut up and in, cleaned up the mess and tried again! Doh! More coolant on the floor! WTF? I crawled underneath, confirmed the valve was tight and could not find another source of leakage. So for giggles I ran the wing nut out ( anti clockwise ) and by golly it snugged up the other direction! It would seem spinning it in opened the valve all the way! Spinning it out closed the valve! SO I filled the radiator without further issues.

Still need to run hoses for power steering but I'm getting even closer to firing this beast!

Scott
The following users liked this post:
Auggievf (11-05-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Last night was short and sweet.
I hooked up the fuel pump wiring including grounding to the block as well as the ground for the fans.
I think I am booked for tonight so I don't expect a change.

Scott
Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Following again. Cant wait for the fire up mode to come. I'm back working on mine. Slowly but surely it is coming along.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Hi Scott. I’m just now seeing this thread, but I’m doing an LS7 into a C3 also. But I have to rebuild my LS7 first, so I’m months behind you. I have a couple of questions though.
i decided to stay dry sump because of the additional oil pan clearance. I’m very interested in what exactly in your steering interfered with the oil pan?
Also, how well did the Z28 Z06 exhaust manifolds fit. I’ll be running a 700R4 automatic, and I’ve been told that these manifolds are the best option.
Third question, I’m buying conversion engine mounts that moves the LS engine one inch forward of the SBC position. Did you mount forward?
Your doing a great job, and thanks for sharing your project.
Bee Jay
Old 11-08-2018, 12:32 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Hi Scott. I’m just now seeing this thread, but I’m doing an LS7 into a C3 also. But I have to rebuild my LS7 first, so I’m months behind you. I have a couple of questions though.
i decided to stay dry sump because of the additional oil pan clearance. I’m very interested in what exactly in your steering interfered with the oil pan?
Also, how well did the Z28 Z06 exhaust manifolds fit. I’ll be running a 700R4 automatic, and I’ve been told that these manifolds are the best option.
Third question, I’m buying conversion engine mounts that moves the LS engine one inch forward of the SBC position. Did you mount forward?
Your doing a great job, and thanks for sharing your project.
Bee Jay
Hi Bee Jay,
When we were setting the motor in place it (oil pan) physically sat right on the stock steering before it sat on the motor mounts. Also the Steering box was in the way of the exhaust manifold and heat shields.
The motor simply would not drop in. I ordered the Steeroids rack and pinion for a 69 and installed it. The motor then fit nicely. No steering box either. Just the "ujoint" connectors and shaft.
Other than installing, I have no practical experience with Steeroids rack and pinion. Yeah, I read all the internet stuff, struggled in my mind with other settups, but did finally settle on steeroids. I don't even remember why I settled on them other than the have been used in C3's successfully and provided clearance for the LS7.

As far as motor mounts I found a set of aluminum LS conversion mounts on Amazon. The set I bought seemed pretty generic and provided 3 different positions for the motor. back, middle, or forward.
I originally put the mounts on the holes that move the motor farthest back. That did not work. Things just did not fit well. So I lifted the motor again with help from one of my sons and a neighbor and we put the mounts on the center holes. Bingo! Suddenly and magically all fit nicely! I do not know position relative to a gen 1 SBC but it does seem further back in the car. Again, I did not measure so who knows for sure.

As far as the exhaust manifold, what is in the photos is what I have. It was mentioned in this thread they are from a Camaro and not a Corvette. Subsequent internet searches and I believe this to be true but do not know for sure. My Documents that came with indicate that for any items needed I should use a 2013 Corvette Z06 as "the car" when ordering. That being said, I am installing BB Factory style side stainless pipes with my original covers. The exhaust manifolds AND heat shields fit very nicely around everything and there are zero changes to them Literally drop in as is. I just need to watch how I run wires and the oil lines. The side pipes will need modifications for an O2 bung in each and I will have the "fit" adjusted at that time.

Hopefully this answers your questions, if not fire away! LOL!
Also please remember I m not a mechanic take any advice I offer with a grain of salt!

I'm just a guy with a corvette and a crazy idea and just stupid enough to try it!

Scott

The following users liked this post:
Bee Jay (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I did the Borgeson conversion years ago, so the ram is gone. I hope the rest of my steering fits under the dry sump pan. I’m putting my Holley Fuel Injection on top of the GMP intake. I’ve already bought the intake, now I need to find the LS7 Z28 exhaust manifolds.
crazy and stupid are minimum C3 ownership requirements.
Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Wow!
What a Saturday. I thought i was going to hook up my power steering. Nope. It would seem my wonderful bride cohorted with one of my brothers. You see, I was a tad depressed about my car. She’s never been down even close to this long. Over a year now. So, about 10 this morning we hear a motor. Omg! What is that . . . My brother came up with his 68 firebird! Yeah, I know. We all love vettes. All my life my bro has had a 68 Firebird. It was alway bada$$. High school to today. This beast is now 750+ hp. Mini tubs and streetable. I’ve never driven such a beast. You open the door, open the roll bar and climb in. He let me drive it but only with the promise I do not get on it. Done! You see, today’s cars have the hp but traction control and other electronics tame the ponies. I was good and did not get on it but i did play some . . . .

either way, I am back in the groove and want my baby rolling!
Today we visited. I asked my bro if he’d drill my hood for the 427 emblems! He said sure! Lol! I showed my template, showed my errors and the problem with the downloaded pattern. So, we spent a lot of today re- drilling my aluminum plate with holes as a template for the 427 on the hood. I must say, he is better than me measuring it out. The online pattern is great but the “4” is tilted . Not much but to much for me. Once the plate was drilled all we had to do Was transfer the pattern to my hood.
*****! What a stressful job! We dove in and just did it. Ok, he did it.
enough chat, here is a couple of photos.
Scott

Last edited by 69_Shark; 11-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:27 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Since my new starter wire plug arrived, last night I wired up the starter. My brother noted on Saturday I need to run a ground from my block to my frame. I had a ground wire purchased and now with my high pressure power steering hose, it to is missing. Dang it, I probably have a small box if stuff put somewhere because I'll need it later! Doh! Now it is later and I have no idea where these items are.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Z069? LS7 in my C3

Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Slow weekend on the car again. I ran the main power to the computer.
I hooked up two ground straps from the block to bolts on the frame.
Put 3 of 4 tires on. I left the one next to the power steering off for now. Hopefully my power steering hoses will arrive tomorrow so I can finish that project.

After the steering is hooked up, I'll put the last tire on, set her back on dollies. I can then move her away from the wall and get to the drivers side and install the gas pedal.

OH yeah, I dumped 4 quarts of tranny fluid in as well but until she is running I can not really check the level.

Scott
Old 11-26-2018, 10:38 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Whew!!
What a great Thanksgiving!
We had family over for an early dinner and then my bride and I took off in the travel trailer for the rest of the weekend! We celebrated 27 years together! NICE!

We came home pretty early on Sunday. We buttoned up the trailer and I had a little time!

I previously attempted to install my power steering pump pulley but my tool was not correct for the LS. I guess the threads are different on a 69 pump! LOL!

SO I ran down to a buddies house and borrowed his! The pulley went on exactly as expected and without any issue. I installed the last of the tires.

At this time she is sitting on the car dollies and not on jack stands!
Now I can move her around so I can install the gas pedal! YEAH!

Scott
Old 11-26-2018, 08:54 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

This weekend we’ll clean the garage floor, move the motorcycles and other vette,
spin my baby around so I can get to the drivers side. That will allow me to install the new electronic gas pedal.
once that is done, hook up ignition to the computer and I think I can crank her over!

even the fan belt is in! Oh so close!
Scott
The following 2 users liked this post by 69_Shark:
bfit (05-16-2021), USMC 0802 (11-26-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z069? LS7 in my C3