Sponsored by:

Z069? LS7 in my C3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:04 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_Shark
Ok my Corvette buds, I need some help here.
look carefully at my air intake setup. I like it but it is not the look I want. It looks hot rod esc. Not bad. However I am wanting a more it belongs look vs I stuffed it in there look. So, I think painting the 4 inch tube a satin black will help. However I think up and over the radiator would satisfy me more. The catch . . . . When my hood is up, there is only 2.5 inches or so of space. Yes I have air conditioning and a condenser up there. Ideas anyone on how to accomplish this? Maybe a corvette guru in the North of Seattle area has parts I can test fit? Any help here is welcome. Anyone willing to test fit their parts is extremely welcome and I’d pay a fair price if said parts fit they way I think I want.

maybe you all think I am being silly. I am open to input here!
thanks in advance for your input!

Scott

Following as my setup is almost identical. I have seen some other setups but nothing to my liking yet. Here is my setup.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh yes! Yours does look like mine!
Scott
Old 12-31-2018, 07:10 PM
71yellow454
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

I had an intake identical to yours but on a hot day the air temps were way to high. So I changed it to get cool air all the time. It works fine up to about 6000 RPM then the HP levels off.

I used a supercharger dongel to clear the water pump

I did drill a drain hole just in case.

I made a cover in case I get caught in the rain

K&N filter
Old 12-31-2018, 08:14 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

That is a neat idea and set up!
scott
Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Yikes. My bride and I came down with heavy colds so my vette has been on hold.
Things will pick up again soon!

Scott
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Test load MOV file
Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 69_Shark
Ok my Corvette buds, I need some help here.
look carefully at my air intake setup. I like it but it is not the look I want. It looks hot rod esc. Not bad. However I am wanting a more it belongs look vs I stuffed it in there look. So, I think painting the 4 inch tube a satin black will help. However I think up and over the radiator would satisfy me more. The catch . . . . When my hood is up, there is only 2.5 inches or so of space. Yes I have air conditioning and a condenser up there. Ideas anyone on how to accomplish this? Maybe a corvette guru in the North of Seattle area has parts I can test fit? Any help here is welcome. Anyone willing to test fit their parts is extremely welcome and I’d pay a fair price if said parts fit they way I think I want.

maybe you all think I am being silly. I am open to input here!
thanks in advance for your input!

Scott
i looked into the setup you mention (even borrowed a friends stock c6 set up). Different hood hinges would likely work. I'm not sure what's out the that'll work on the c3. So basically look where your hood is at in reference to the radiator/condensor.

Another option I've come across is buying a new or having yours modified to have the top few rows removed to give you some extra room up there.

I copied a few other guys (not sure if they're still running it or not) and took a few steps further to try and make it look like it belongs. GTO cai. I have also ran a setup similar to yours but on the other side because i was worried about poor maf readings. I just got the car back on the road and didn't notice a difference between them since the gto setup isn't what gm specifies for maf setup. I do run a screen before the maf with the gto setup.

The following users liked this post:
69_Shark (01-21-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Auggievf
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegtp

Last edited by Auggievf; 01-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

THanks BlueGTP,
I do like the GTO intake look! I may go that direction!

OK,
Saturday I fired her up and pulled her out of the garage.
My new Blue Tooth dongle plugged in! My iPad and new 9 dollar software up and running!
The connection was a success!

I can now read my computer and many PIDs! My goal was to heat her up gently, feel the thermostat turn on, and then the fans!

Whoo hoo! Thermostat opened! I could feel the water temp in the hoses! Nice!

After waiting for what seemed an eternity, the engine finally reached 200 degrees and the fans kicked on! YES! More things working well! Other than my power steering fluid going out of the system about as fast as it can! Doh! Thought that was fixed.

So back in the garage and the front end up. Engine off. No problem. Engine running . . . . fluid everywhere! So I figured I'd have fun instead of fiddling with the steering.

My new JBL GTR-104 amp has arrived! I'll install that! Blue tooth ready it will feed all 4 speakers and I can control the gain on each! NICE! Well, not so . . . .
Dang thing would not power up. Out comes the power probe. All wiring is good. All fuses good. Even the remote wire was confirmed hot. Ground confirmed.

Return Label already received. Darn it. I was looking forward to that. Looked like a nice unit.

Scott
Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Scott,
Waiting for the video for the fire up. Come on now, you should know that!
Pete
Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I need to create a youtube account. Maybe I'll do that tonight.
I have a short video of initial fire up and a short video of pulling her out of the garage under her own power for the first time with the LS7.

Otherwise, I was . . . .
Back under the car last night.
Good news! I found the leak in the power steering!

Bad news . . . . . it appears I hooked up the pressure side hose to the none pressure side of the rack and blew the gasket at the input shaft! Quite the pita to get to and see but the gasket looks pushed out! Doh.

More work for me!

Scott
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Another try to post video!
First start!

First move under her own power!

Scott
The following 3 users liked this post by 69_Shark:
04MachineSilverC5 (02-12-2023), 1974Pantera (03-27-2020), C3_DH (02-20-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Your backup lights are not working

Seriously that is a great feeling to move it under its own power. The look on your face says it all.
69_Shark (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Your backup lights are not working

Seriously that is a great feeling to move it under its own power. The look on your face says it all.
Having just gone through an ls3 swap with mine I agree and know the feeling. Congrats and keep it going!
69_Shark (01-24-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Yesterday I took the day off from work.
Took my 69 down and got the side pipes installed including the O2 Sensors!

She sounds very much like my previous Ramjet motor but louder! LOL!

Scott
Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

OK, I blew the gaskets out of the steering rack because I hooked up the lines backwards. Doh.
So I have been working with "Speed Direct" and they with me. My new rack is on order and soon to be shipped.

Since I do not want to run this without power steering fluid she sits for now. I am starting to consider what to do for gauges.
For now I have a blue tooth dongle plugged into my ODBII port that can read my data without any mods to the factory tune.

My iPad with downloaded software provides a set of guages for me for now.

Given the snow I am in no hurry for the new rack and pinion other than wanting to just get it finished!

Scott
Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Wait, what. You started. I missed that. Congrats. I’ll have to watch the video when I get home. I’m still trying to get my engine done 100%. I just put the pulleys on, and I’m wiring up my LS ignition controller. I gotta find an oil tank and a starter. My two post lift is outside, so I think I’ll wait till the rainy season passes, before pulling the 383 and start installing the LS7.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 02-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z069? LS7 in my C3

Old 02-20-2019, 01:35 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Wait, what. You started. I missed that. Congrats. I’ll have to watch the video when I get home. I’m still trying to get my engine done 100%. I just put the pulleys on, and I’m wiring up my LS ignition controller. I gotta find an oil tank and a starter. My two post lift is outside, so I think I’ll wait till the rainy season passes, before pulling the 383 and start installing the LS7.
Yes, I have started her and moved her under her own power! Thanks!
If you are looking at oil tanks, I had a Z06 tank that would not fit and had to sell it. I ended up using a peterson tank that seems to work great for my limited driving so far!

Lastly the LS starter I had purchased did not come with bolts, also the exciter wire is not a simple wire with a ring on the end that bolts on. It is a GM plug. Sorry if you already know this. Since this is my first LS work I did not know these things.

Scott
Old 02-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Oh, oh. I just ordered a ZO6 oil tank. I have an accusump mounted on the passenger side firewall, where my AC used to be. Hopefully it will fit there. I need to order a starter. What did you go with? I’ll order bolts for it too. No, please post everything. This is my first LS also.
Thanks
Bee Jay
Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Oh, oh. I just ordered a ZO6 oil tank. I have an accusump mounted on the passenger side firewall, where my AC used to be. Hopefully it will fit there. I need to order a starter. What did you go with? I’ll order bolts for it too. No, please post everything. This is my first LS also.
Thanks
Bee Jay
Let me rephrase my statement on the oil tank . . . . . It did not fit where I wanted to put it! LOL!
I mounted mine under the passenger side fender behind the wheel well. The Z06 tank I had was just to tall to fit there.

As far as finding what starter, bolts, etc, my crate engine documents stated that when ordering parts to use a 2013 Corvette Z06 as the car model. So, I simply used that quite successfully.
Scott

Last edited by 69_Shark; 02-20-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Z069? LS7 in my C3