C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Buy the best car you can afford. Cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Forgot, one more thing, ....

Forgot, one more thing that I think has not been mentioned yet. Real
LT-1's have solid lifters that need to be adjusted from time to time as opposed to the modern hydraulic lifters. Not a terribly big deal and definitely part of the LT-1 mystique and one of the reasons why you would want a LT-1 in the first place!

And you will want to use the oil with extra zinc, see sticky for more info and options, I use the Amsoil high zinc in my 72 LT-1.

Good luck and great looking Corvette!!

Last edited by 20mercury; 01-10-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:57 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

C3's are very easy to work on, parts are very expensive as you can imagine. A numbers matching car is usually big money, so have an appraisal done by an expert. If you are buying just to have fun in it and don't want to worry so much about scratches, cracks, or wear don't worry about the numbers. I'm partial to early 70's big blocks, you can still "feel" the cam.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:04 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Oil filler cap is on the wrong side. Probably makes it easier to put oil in it.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,978 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by MuskieAL
Hey BL,

Looks like your not to far from me. Your more then welcome to give my 72 a test fit sometime. BTW, some one I know owns this 72 LT-1. He's about six foot even. His only regret on the car,
it didn't come with tilt/telescopic. He's gotten in and out of mime with the t/t. He said that makes it so much easier for him. Can't tell from your picture if the car your interested in has it.
Lol, not far at all. I too am from the fine city of Lombard, IL.! Gratefully the 72 I"m looking at, does have tilt/steering. Chapter 2 shared some very helpful insight on this exact car, which I need to digest.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I also own a C7 and a C3 and I previously owned a C4, C5 and a different C7. I am sure that you are aware that the driving experience is completely different. I grew up during the 60-70s, but it is easy to forget the progress that has been made on cars the last 45 years. For example, carburetors can be a PITA. When you look closely at a C3 you will notice that build quality is sub-standard. Body parts often do not line up, you find overspray in odd places, interior parts are somewhat cheap, etc. When I bought my low mileage C3, it was in very nice condition, but it was seldom driven so the seals on the engine were basically dried up and needed to be replaced. These cars require much more maintenance than newer Vettes, and even with the LT1 the performance may cause a little disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to discourage you. I love my C3 but I just want you to go in with eyes wide open. Expect that you will have to spend some money on the car unless it has just had a frame off restoration. There are always things that need attention that you may not notice but you will discover later. With an LT1, you also need to be aware that the engine should either be original numbers matching, or it the price should be much lower.

Anyway good luck and happy hunting.
Great perspectives and you are 100% correct, apples and oranges. A friend has one and there are definite differences in the build technology to say the least...but part of what makes them unique.

I'm curious, why did you stick with your c3 over keeping the c4 or c5?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I always wanted a C3 as that was my time in high school. I got my drivers license in 1972 and I own a 72. I would still have my 88 except that I was transferred overseas and I just did not have an economical way to store it. I wish I could have kept them all, but my budget would not allow me to so.

It is kind of funny, I forgot to mention the Vette I kept the longest (my old C6.)

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Great perspectives and you are 100% correct, apples and oranges. A friend has one and there are definite differences in the build technology to say the least...but part of what makes them unique.

I'm curious, why did you stick with your c3 over keeping the c4 or c5?

Last edited by crawfish333; 01-10-2018 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM
MuskieAL
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19,'23-'24

Lol, not far at all. I too am from the fine city of Lombard, IL.! Gratefully the 72 I"m looking at, does have tilt/steering. Chapter 2 shared some very helpful insight on this exact car, which I need to digest.

Hoping it works out for you.Maybe I'll be seeing this car some Saturday night. At the local car show come summer time. Good Luck..
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
but it is easy to forget the progress that has been made on cars the last 45 years.
Very true, but a light restomod with an overdrive trans, Borgeson steering box, modern valved shocks, modern tire sizes and aftermarket upper control arms that give more positive caster, go a long way towards making it drive like a contemporary car.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Happy to help. The seller was very accommodating and understanding. Let us know what you think of the car after you go see it.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:27 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OP, it is very obvious from the above comments that RUST is the largest thief of these cars lives......

and so I am 6'5" and age 73 having owned my '72 vert since '95.....

and the car was an old show car in Maryland.....

so the body was modified of course....the car was mechanically stock, even had the old wheels on it.....

witch made it a purrfect candidate for me....being an old ET and hotrodder......

there is NOTHING stock about my car, wheels through roof, stem to stern...NOTHING it has a '78+ TT column/wheel.....firewall bent forward below the column, pedals pushed forward...drops my legs off the wheel....dropped the seat down 2" in rear......ditched the 4 speed stick for a 4 speed auto that I ALONE built out in the sunroom......I changed over to modern suspension/plastic rear spring upon purchase...also '89 vette wheels, with 50 series tires.....

it's a hobby car....see below pix....ya THINK???

Big Lebowski (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Hi BL, same deal here. We've had 2 C7s (have one now) and bought a C3 - 72 roadster - in June '16. Wasn't planning on buying a C3 but flew past it on a 2 lane road while on a road trip with the wife and it was in front of a ranch with a 'for sale' sign on it. Wife said turn around and look. Famous last words.........

I looked at the chromie, and then came to this forum and asked a lot of questions - and got some great advice. 10 rules is one. Solid cage and frame are a must. NOM is a personal thing - ours was/is, but it's a personal preference as long as the car is priced accordingly.

Fitting in one? I'm 6'2" and have no problem, but ours is a roadster - I fit no problem with the rag or hard top, but a coupe may be different?

T/Tele: yes, a big help, but only the tilt part for getting in/out. IMO, it should have been tilt/retract.

Our C3 was/is very solid. Nice interior and non-original 5 foot paint. I got on it right away and purchased everything I wanted to refresh the interior 1.5 years ago (leather, panels, carpet, foam, screw sets, etc etc.), but the car runs so well and is fun to drive as is so I haven't started tearing it apart yet. Will make a nice father/son project when I'm ready, but I know it will be at least a year once I start because I'll also go back (most likely) to the original color (WBY).

Any chromie you get will be 45+ years old, so plan on going thru the suspension, brakes, hoses, lines, belts, etc. even if they look good - unless you KNOW that it's been done and done right. I spent about $5k going thru the under stuff (paid for a lot of the labor just because).

What I believe I've found is that, at least for a while, C3s won't really appreciate much (a few exceptions to that for sure) if that's of interest to you (it's not really to me). But you'll do fine as long as you buy the right car at a reasonable price. But.....even though ours was very solid to begin with, I won't recoup the $ I've put into the under stuff. That's okay by us though. I paid a fair price ($18k) for a solid 72 roadster with 2 tops, 4 spd, runs great, and no rust. But I'll have $26-30k into it when I'm done and that's probably about what it'll be worth (it'll be nice, but won't be like like Alan71's car!!). And I'll do most of the work myself - so it's a labor of love (I used to belong to the ISCA and do my own body/paint). If you don't do your own body/paint and it needs it, be prepared to pay for a decent job - probably $8-10k+ (I haven't priced it for a while because I do my own) for prep/paint on a good car.

Pretty easy to work on, but I have a lift so that helps. Vacuum headlights (ours have no issue) and wipers (need to do some work on ours, but there is a lot of help on this forum and I know what I need to do, and everything is there) can be a bit of a pain. Make sure all the electrical stuff works because wiring gremlins can be a real pain. There's another post in the C3 section on 'Bubba' - pretty funny stuff, but watch out for obvious 'bubba stuff' that might cause you pain.

I don't use our C3 a lot, but sure do enjoy it when I do. It's fun for a lot of reasons, and I can enjoy and not take a $bath so why not?! And they look great!

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Any advice? Cautionary tales? If I take the plunge, how are their values holding? I’ve checked Haggerty, and the asking price is in line with their ask (but still seems high)...any other good resources for car value? This is not a “money is no object scenario” or I’d be looking at a 63 split window.

PS- I’m 6’-4”. I can get in it but am I too tall to enjoy?

Here is some eye candy of what I’m looking at:

Nice choice. You can't go wrong with a nice LT-1.

Advice? Have the car inspected, stem to stern by someone qualified to evaluate C-3 Corvettes. Items such as frame, bird cage, suspension, electrical, and brake systems are all specific areas of concern. There are countless horror stories buried in the archives of this Forum. Best to prepare yourself against any potential disaster. Not sure what a PPI is, so if this advice is redundant to what's already been stated, I apologize.
Best of luck!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Hi, I am in Glen Ellyn and have a 69 Convertible and just bought a C7. I used to be 6ft, the C7 is very similar as far as getting in and out but you definitly have more legroom in the C7. I do not have tilt telly but if you want to test fit feel free to PM me.

Jack.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jack605
Hi, I am in Glen Ellyn and have a 69 Convertible and just bought a C7. I used to be 6ft, the C7 is very similar as far as getting in and out but you definitly have more legroom in the C7. I do not have tilt telly but if you want to test fit feel free to PM me.

Jack.
Thanks Jack! I appreciate the C7 comparison insight...I'm actually going to see this one first hand this weekend, so that should be where the rubber meets the road. Cheers.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by seacliffe301
Nice choice. You can't go wrong with a nice LT-1.

Advice? Have the car inspected, stem to stern by someone qualified to evaluate C-3 Corvettes. Items such as frame, bird cage, suspension, electrical, and brake systems are all specific areas of concern. There are countless horror stories buried in the archives of this Forum. Best to prepare yourself against any potential disaster. Not sure what a PPI is, so if this advice is redundant to what's already been stated, I apologize.
Best of luck!
Thanks to forum member Chapter 2, luck would have it I've actually gotten to see a PPI on this exact car and some great insight into its condition. It is in excellent shape and has been partially restored, but is not a "concourse" car. Runs good. Looks good...need to see it in person hopefully this weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:18 AM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

You're all a bunch of bloody giants

Another vote for the LT-1 so good look with your viewing
Big Lebowski (01-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Default Showroom visit

So i got a chance to see it first hand this afternoon, and my impressions are it is a very nice c3. While it is not a “concourse” show car, I think this would be a great car to enjoy and drive locally without sweating the miles. I REALLY like this color. I wouldn't say the paint was flawless but it is damn close!

As i feared, the trick for me is I barely fit in it (even with the tilt steering). At almost 6’4” and in decent shape for 250lbs I CAN fit in it and work the clutch, but with minimal room to spare between my left leg, the steering wheel & the door (attached photo). With maybe 1/2” above my head the head room is a tight fit...overall, it is actually quite amazing when you think about it. I’m a big guy. Head room might be less of a concern as i would probably have the tops off 90% of the time I’m in it. But, I need to think about whether that fact would deter me from driving / enjoying it and I’m afraid it might no matter how much I want to make it work. all in all, glad I ch3cked it out. It is sweet.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

We all shrink as we get older

Maybe a smaller diameter steering wheel (aftermarket or 76+) would help with the ingress.

R

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 01-14-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
We all shrink as we get older

Maybe a smaller diameter steering wheel (aftermarket or 76+) would help with the ingress.

R

I put a smaller wheel in mine it helps.

Jack
Big Lebowski (01-14-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?