C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Default C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?

I’m a long time Forum member and huge Corvette fan. After drooling over Corvettes as a kid (more on that later) I am grateful to have owned a C5, several C6’s and I’m on my second C7 (one at a time).

My C7 is not going any where, and it is my DD when it’s not 10 degrees outside. However I find myself drawn to older Corvettes I remember from my childhood and I am admittedly out of my depth. In fairness, I’m not expecting to compare the two gens. They are apples and oranges and beautiful in their own way. The C3 was the first gen I truly remember lusting after, though they were late C3’s just prior to the C4, but Now I prefer the look of the 69-72’s with steel bumpers.

I’ve read the sticky on “10 things to know before you buy”, watched YouTube videos, etc but I haven’t a clue as to the ownership experience of a C3. I realize this varies depending on the condition, from rusted out $1500 barn find to a fully restored big block convertible so I’ll narrow the topic a bit:

I’m looking at a specific 1972 LT1 Coupe, manual, restored, matching numbers, repainted (matches trim plate), fair interior condition, but 70k miles. I’m only a casual car show guy, so that is not my main motivation for the condition. I’m handy to a point but mainly I’m not looking for a major project car.

Any advice? Cautionary tales? If I take the plunge, how are their values holding? I’ve checked Haggerty, and the asking price is in line with their ask (but still seems high)...any other good resources for car value? This is not a “money is no object scenario” or I’d be looking at a 63 split window.

PS- I’m 6’-4”. I can get in it but am I too tall to enjoy?

Here is some eye candy of what I’m looking at:

Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

You can test drive my 72 if I can test drive your C7. Lol. I'm 6'2, so you will be ok as far as comfort. The thing about the older cars is it is getting difficult to find mechanics that can work on them. Other than engine and trans. Even finding allignment guys is getting harder. You will get a totally different response from people when you drive an older Vette. Just be careful of the rust issue in the bird cage. Comfort wise it won't hold a candle to the modern cars. But the C3 is a fun drive.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

If you are looking at that particular LT-1, make sure to have a PPI done by someone that knows these cars inside and out before committing to buy it. Better yet, PM me if you want info, I had a PPI done on it. I'm happy to share the results.

Last edited by Tonio; 01-09-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chapter2
If you are looking at that particular LT-1, make sure to have a PPI done by someone that knows these cars inside and out before committing to buy it. Better yet, PM me if you want info, I had a PPI done on it. I'm happy to share the results.
Great advice. Thankfully I have two friends that are well versed with restored C3’s but I may go that route if anything seems off. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
You can test drive my 72 if I can test drive your C7. Lol.
It would be worth the road trip to SC!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Nice 72 LT-1!!

Nice 72 LT-1 Corvette!

Owned C4, C5, C6 and just got a 2016 plus some C3's, which are my favorites!!

My 2 cents:

The C7 is a luxury super sports car! and the biggest bang for the buck anywhere. About all I do though is change the oil, filters, & not much more. Each generation seemed to get more hp and more luxury to me and less DIY stuff.

I like to work on C3's and have done a fair amount, working on my C3 body/painting merit badge right now. This forum has been great!

I would say the big thing to watch for with C3's is bad rust or rust through. You can fix the rest mostly reasonably I think but if you have frame repair or bird cage & windshield rust holes, it is a lot bigger deal. Of course all things (or a lot) are possible with time and money. I would ask if this 72 has had the windshield replaced and what did the frame look like or needed repair? I think a lot of C3's have unknown windshield frame problems lurking under the glass.

And I wonder how you own a C3 and not do some work yourself as they are now 35 to 50 year old cars and so mine always seem to need something else. If you do all of your required C3 work out of the checkbook, I think it would be good to have deep pockets. Now if you are a C3 pilgrim, like I was not long ago, between this forum, internet, and Corvette friends, you can most likely figure out how to do most anything and doing the work yourself is fun and rewarding.

And finally, people sometimes wave at the modern Corvettes, but the C3 attention you get and interest you see when you pull up at Waffle House and gas stations is unparalleled and super fun and for me makes the C3's the best!

One last note, the market pays and charges a premium for originality regardless of whether I agree or disagree, ha! So, given the money motivation for originality, make extra sure (along with another set of eyes/opinion) that if you think you are getting (and paying for) the original engine/4sp, that you really are getting the original engine/4sp.

Hope this helps and the hunt is half the fun, I say!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Nice 72 LT-1 Corvette!

Owned C4, C5, C6 and just got a 2016 plus some C3's, which are my favorites!!

My 2 cents:

The C7 is a luxury super sports car! and the biggest bang for the buck anywhere. About all I do though is change the oil, filters, & not much more. Each generation seemed to get more hp and more luxury to me and less DIY stuff.

I like to work on C3's and have done a fair amount, working on my C3 body/painting merit badge right now. This forum has been great!

I would say the big thing to watch for with C3's is bad rust or rust through. You can fix the rest mostly reasonably I think but if you have frame repair or bird cage & windshield rust holes, it is a lot bigger deal. Of course all things (or a lot) are possible with time and money. I would ask if this 72 has had the windshield replaced and what did the frame look like or needed repair? I think a lot of C3's have unknown windshield frame problems lurking under the glass.

And I wonder how you own a C3 and not do some work yourself as they are now 35 to 50 year old cars and so mine always seem to need something else. If you do all of your required C3 work out of the checkbook, I think it would be good to have deep pockets. Now if you are a C3 pilgrim, like I was not long ago, between this forum, internet, and Corvette friends, you can most likely figure out how to do most anything and doing the work yourself is fun and rewarding.

And finally, people sometimes wave at the modern Corvettes, but the C3 attention you get and interest you see when you pull up at Waffle House and gas stations is unparalleled and super fun and for me makes the C3's the best!

One last note, the market pays and charges a premium for originality regardless of whether I agree or disagree, ha! So, given the money motivation for originality, make extra sure (along with another set of eyes/opinion) that if you think you are getting (and paying for) the original engine/4sp, that you really are getting the original engine/4sp.

Hope this helps and the hunt is half the fun, I say!
Great advice, and insight. I don’t expect it to be maintenance free and I do look forward to some tinkering...only time can tell how much.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ed T
My sugg to you is find a local car, look for the tilt function and see if you fit before you take a road trip to check one out. And the usual check for rust, etc. No PB on the one shown, a whole new experience for folks driving modern cars, but no big deal.

all the best in your hunt

Gorgeous car and great story! Bummer for him thoug as that is a gorgeous c3. Gratefully the one I’m looking at is local and more importantly it does have a tilt steering wheel. As for me, I’m pretty evenly proportioned, is: not all legs. And I’m not old, but also not a solid 6-4 anymore, probably just under. Damn gravity.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Definitely try a C3 in for size. 6'2" here and I fit in the car but some bad bumps my head hits the roof. Not a comfortable feeling. Car looks beautiful!! Plenty of headroom with the roofs off!!
Big Lebowski (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Nice looking LT-1. I have a 68 convert with big block and have found this body style gets the most looks at the local drive in. Others have given good advice. Also check if the 50 year old rubber suspension bushings and movable parts like ball joints and tie rod ends have been replaced. From the engine photos it looks like a recent restoration was done. Have someone help check if the engine numbers show the engine is the original one for the car. A real plus would be documentation on previous ownership and maintenance. Hope you have found a car that you can enjoy for many years. RA
Big Lebowski (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Great advice. Thankfully I have two friends that are well versed with restored C3’s but I may go that route if anything seems off. Thanks!
If you want a head start, I can give you the executive summary from the PPI that I had done on that exact car. Most of the issues are evident in the ad photos.....other issues are not evident in the photos. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Being 6' and on the thin side, 170lbs, I would say this is a C3's maximum height for comfort and proper fit. Better try it on first for sure. My 6'4 brother-in-law was an absolute joke behind the wheel and I had tilt&tele.

Back in the 80's I was a chevrolet auto mechanic and would frequently see very big people packed into small cars in the service isles, something psychological going on here. Kind of like short people buying new land yachts. Maybe you'll go for the sardine fit.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

If you are "handy to a point" but not interested in projects then stick with 71+ models to get the hardened valve seats compatible with no lead fuels.

I changed out heads on my 69 primarily for weight reasons but the benefit was I no longer had to add a lead substitute at every fill up.

R
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

As far as comfort goes..it is uncomfortable.
I currently own a '71 convertible, at 6'6" tall, it is tight/uncomfortable. I never drive it with either top up/on.
I'm sure it does provide amusement for others though, when I'm getting in or out of it.
I find that I drive mine less and less, as I get older.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chapter2
If you want a head start, I can give you the executive summary from the PPI that I had done on that exact car. Most of the issues are evident in the ad photos.....other issues are not evident in the photos. Good luck.
I'm going to PM you.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Nice looking LT-1. I have a 68 convert with big block and have found this body style gets the most looks at the local drive in. Others have given good advice. Also check if the 50 year old rubber suspension bushings and movable parts like ball joints and tie rod ends have been replaced. From the engine photos it looks like a recent restoration was done. Have someone help check if the engine numbers show the engine is the original one for the car. A real plus would be documentation on previous ownership and maintenance. Hope you have found a car that you can enjoy for many years. RA
I've seen other photos and the engine is a match and though repainted, the trim plate matches exterior and interior color. I have not verified the transmission and other stuff, but they are advertising as "matching" numbers car, so I hope so.Good point on rubber components of suspension.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
If you are "handy to a point" but not interested in projects then stick with 71+ models to get the hardened valve seats compatible with no lead fuels.

I changed out heads on my 69 primarily for weight reasons but the benefit was I no longer had to add a lead substitute at every fill up.

R
yeah, no. I dont' want to do that. Good point.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?

Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tokim
As far as comfort goes..it is uncomfortable.
I currently own a '71 convertible, at 6'6" tall, it is tight/uncomfortable. I never drive it with either top up/on.
I'm sure it does provide amusement for others though, when I'm getting in or out of it.
I find that I drive mine less and less, as I get older.
Sorry to hear that. My Dad is 6-6 and there is no way...he is all legs. As a kid he had to duck in camper and I told him and my mom I never wanted to be tall. Oh well, generally being tall has its advantages....except on commuter flights, movie theaters and sports cars.
tokim (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM
MuskieAL
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19,'23-'24

Hey BL,

Looks like your not to far from me. Your more then welcome to give my 72 a test fit sometime. BTW, some one I know owns this 72 LT-1. He's about six foot even. His only regret on the car,
it didn't come with tilt/telescopic. He's gotten in and out of mime with the t/t. He said that makes it so much easier for him. Can't tell from your picture if the car your interested in has it.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I also own a C7 and a C3 and I previously owned a C4, C5 and a different C7. I am sure that you are aware that the driving experience is completely different. I grew up during the 60-70s, but it is easy to forget the progress that has been made on cars the last 45 years. For example, carburetors can be a PITA. When you look closely at a C3 you will notice that build quality is sub-standard. Body parts often do not line up, you find overspray in odd places, interior parts are somewhat cheap, etc. When I bought my low mileage C3, it was in very nice condition, but it was seldom driven so the seals on the engine were basically dried up and needed to be replaced. These cars require much more maintenance than newer Vettes, and even with the LT1 the performance may cause a little disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to discourage you. I love my C3 but I just want you to go in with eyes wide open. Expect that you will have to spend some money on the car unless it has just had a frame off restoration. There are always things that need attention that you may not notice but you will discover later. With an LT1, you also need to be aware that the engine should either be original numbers matching, or it the price should be much lower.

Anyway good luck and happy hunting.

Quick Reply: C7 owner looking at my first C3...any advice?