Sponsored by:

NOS or CRC weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Joe79Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default NOS or CRC weatherstripping

I am just curious of what people's opinion is on NOS vs CRC weatherstripping. I am getting ready to replace the weatherstrip on my 72 soft top. The NOS pieces are double the price if you can find them.

Thanks

Joey
Old 01-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Joey,
The nos weatherstripping would be a nice choice depending on it's condition and how it's been stored.
Have the years dried out the rubber?
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I'd be rather cautious about putting 40+ year old weather stripping on a car that I cared about (or ANY rubber part, that old)....
Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 AM
Joe79Vette
Burning Brakes

Yes. The drying out of NOS worries me plus find all the pieces. The soft top has 10 I think.

Joey
Old 01-12-2018, 10:23 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

To me the answer is discovered with a very simple question: Is your car a NCRS judged original?

If yes, by all means get the NOS weatherstrips.
If not, get the less expensive aftermarket ones.

Modern weatherstrips will have better chemistry and obviously not be subjected to decades of age plus be considerate of those who are building NCRS judged cars and realize that there is a very limited supply of OEM parts floating around.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

When I was researching new seals for my '79 I found:

1) The chance of getting NOS that would both install properly and function well for any length of time was very slim. As others said, better to leave what can be found do the collectors doing a thorough restoration.

2) OEM is long gone.

3) The CRC replacements are perfect fit but not identical. The material used is not as soft and subtle as the original because the original material was quite hazardous and nobody in North America uses it anymore. Internal metal stiffeners used in the originals are not used in the CRC reproductions.

4) The latex versions you will find are made in China. While the material more closely matches the original the fit is bad.

------------

I chose CRC from Willcox and was completely pleased. Get plenty 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover (I used 2 large cans + 1 small can). I found the front window pillar pieces the most difficult to remove, align and replace. Asphalt cement (in a tube like caulk) is the replacement for the GM product used on the windshield bezels that are removed as part of replacing the weatherstripping. It takes time and patience to remove/replace the T-top weatherstripping--particularly if you have glass tops. I have glass tops and the weatherstripping had been replaced without such care which only required more time to repair damage. Expect some frustration when adjusting the T-tops. Since the new CRC material is stiffer they have to be adjusted such that they are initially nearly impossible to install--over a few weeks the weatherstripping permanently compresses a bit and you get both a good seal and easy installation.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Joe79Vette
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Thank you for the replies and opinions. Looks like CRC for me.

Joey

Get notified of new replies

To NOS or CRC weatherstripping

Quick Reply: NOS or CRC weatherstripping