Sponsored by:

rear wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:16 PM
mbright
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel alignment

1972 c3 replaced all parts in the rear everything is new I'm trying to get the alignment to track the front I'm using string, laser, level, m-tap and anything else I can find. both rear are 2.5in. to the right from center to center of the rims. Anybody got any ideas or tricks they could pass on to get them to track straight the chevy dealership worked on it 2 hours no luck the kid looked 18 he is not old enough for these cars thanks for any ideas.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Do a Forum Search on String Alignment Method since it would take a couple hours to type the steps......which probably wouldn't make sense without pictures.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mbright
1972 c3 replaced all parts in the rear everything is new I'm trying to get the alignment to track the front I'm using string, laser, level, m-tap and anything else I can find. both rear are 2.5in. to the right from center to center of the rims. Anybody got any ideas or tricks they could pass on to get them to track straight the chevy dealership worked on it 2 hours no luck the kid looked 18 he is not old enough for these cars thanks for any ideas.
Have you got a picture of how the shims are packed in the rear trailing arms.

Its not difficult to get the wheels to toe-in balanced left vs right, just time consuming. (0 thrust angle).

Does the wheel toe-in when you move shims from inside to outside of the Trailing Arm ?

To align the rear.

1. set camber first
2. Set thrust angle.
3. Adjust toe.

Then recheck camber. If you need to re-do camber then check # 2, # 3 again.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 09-17-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you need to move the car after every adjustment to get it to settle to the new adjustments. I rolled it in and out of the garage and it seemed to do it. when using the string method I measured to the front frame in the wheel well. Use a flash light so you go to the same spot everytime. There is a rivet in there you dont want to get a false reading on top of. I also had my rims marked so I was able to take measurements from 3 different rotations incase the rim is bent slightly. I had the rear jacked up and the weight of the rear end (trailing arms and springs) on blocks so I could rotate the tires
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 395 Likes on 300 Posts

Wow it seems so basic to set the rear toe on an alignment rack. Don't you just move the trailing arms shims around to set the toe and then adjust the camber via the strut rods? Or as suggested above set the camber first. Since everything is new it should be a piece of cake.

I've never tried the string method so I'm not help there.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Try the links below...

https://www.duntovmotors.com/tech-alignment.php

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...t-information/

There are also some How-To videos on Youtube....Just search for C3 alignment.

Brian
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

check with a local Corvette club to see if they can recommend a local alignment shop that has experience with C3's.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:09 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by mbright
I have a bunch in my garage as I bought most of Guldstrand's worth while inventory, but none of that is for sale!

But there is a set of his toe adjusters with the lube thru bolts on ebay right now!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Sacred Steel
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When I did mine, I measured off the straight parts of the frame on both sides under the doors to set my strings. Then when setting the toe I knew it was inline with the frame. Did the fronts the same way.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 AM
mbright
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all input, I got it figured out The problem was BABA not the car. When BABA put on new trailing arm bushings he didnt press fit them just stuck them together. I had started going over every part until i found the problem. (BABA) String line works fine now. The dealership was thinking i had a bent frame. Car is on the road after 1.5yrs work and I still have some hair left. (didnt pull it all out) THX, mb

Get notified of new replies

To rear wheel alignment

Quick Reply: rear wheel alignment