Sponsored by:

77 won’t start, no lights no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM
DavidNHarris88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 won’t start, no lights no power

when I turn my key on my 77 I get nothing (no dash lights. No power anywhere). I connected the starter terminals with a screw driver and with the key in the on position and the starter turned and also gave me power back in the car. It started right up after that. I drove it around, turning it off and starting it back up about four times and it seemed fine. I let it sit for about and hour or two and it did the same thing, no start, no dash lights, no power anywhere. I tried to engage the starter with a screw driver again and it engaged but it’s not giving me power back or letting me start the car. Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Take your battery negative off frame clean and reinstall. Then do the same thing with ground between frame and motor at starter
Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Vettes Rule
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by henrikse
Take your battery negative off frame clean and reinstall. Then do the same thing with ground between frame and motor at starter

Sure sounds like a pesky ground issue
Old 01-14-2018, 10:13 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Also check the ground cable for corrosion inside the cable. No good ground no good start.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:43 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I posted in Tech-- Look at the starter extension harness.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Had the exact same problem with my 77 ! Went in to the shop preparing for the last hurricane that came thru Florida! Was rearranging the shop to get a friends Vette inside and when I went to start mine I had nothing !

I ended up having to push mine because I didn't have the time right then to figure it out !

After the storm I went in to start to figure it out ! Turns out to be the fusible link going to the starter ! Either a PO or his friend Bubba had cut the wire and then taped it together and covered it with the wire harness and it wasn't even still together as well as connector at the end of the wire fell off when I took it loose !

After a new wire connector, some solder and heat shrink and it is just like new !

Take note that there is no fuse in the wire , the wire itself is the fusible link ! It is not like any other wire in your car as it is designed to "break " if there is a short in your ignition system ! If you replace it it must be replaced with the exact same type of wire or you take the chance of a fire in your car !

Let us know what it turns out to be and hope you can figure it out quickly!

Best regards!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

After you're satisfied that all connections are clean and secure make sure the neutral safety switch, if so equipped, is adjusted properly and the same for the ignition switch at the end of the steering column. If everything checks properly I would pull the starter and check the solenoid and the condition of the brushes in the starter. If you have decent set of jumper cables you can jump across the big lug on the top of the solenoid to the small lug to the bottom right as you're facing the front of the starter. It would be helpful to have someone hold the starer as it will want to jump with power applied. IMHO, the solenoid is the weakest link in any GM starter circuit.
In the original starter in my 76 the brushes were badly worn and the solenoid was shorted which to me was very unusual as all others I've dealt with over the years the solenoids have been open.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:46 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

my guess is fusible link running along
driver fender to alternator.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

also check positive cable at battery for corrosion, actually check both cables/

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-14-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:17 PM
DavidNHarris88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured it out, there was a bad splice in the wire sending power to the alternator. Fixed the splice and it fired right up. Thanks everyone for the help

Get notified of new replies

To 77 won’t start, no lights no power

Quick Reply: 77 won’t start, no lights no power