C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first post..............1972 seats advice..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 PM
lt1user
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first post..............1972 seats advice..

Debate: Should I restore the originals ones ( new foam and covers) or go to a newer seat like 1976 or so? Realize that both should be done over. To save money I will be restoring them myself. What is your advice on covers? exp. vinyl, or leather? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

stay with stock seats type of cover is personal choice
The following users liked this post:
lt1user (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:45 PM
grumpy73
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1user
Debate: Should I restore the originals ones ( new foam and covers) or go to a newer seat like 1976 or so? Realize that both should be done over. To save money I will be restoring them myself. What is your advice on covers? exp. vinyl, or leather? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My 73 came with later model seats and I ended up rebuilding my stock seats. The newer ones didn't look or sit right. Just my opinion.
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

If you have a set of the later model seats, install them and try them out and see if you like them, then make your decision based on the trial.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

To me or my butt 68 to 77 seats all feel the same you sit on not in them,
In 80 or for the 78 pace car or whenever gm did the so called clam shell seats i love them,
My 69 came with seats from an 81 recoved in black velor, i was happy joy joy
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Welcome :- )
Keep the 72 seat, just restore them.
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 AM
Nicky B
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stay original

Restore.
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 07:55 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

This is a great question and having a 72 myself I struggled through this decision as well.
First let me welcome you to the Corvette Forum and your first post. I hope you find it a rewarding addition (both car and membership) and this community has many who will help you with your questions.

Secondly, the seats. We all hate to hear "it depends" but nobody asked so I will to open this discussion up a bit for you. It depends on great many factors and honestly only you know which pertain to you, but let me list a few options.
1) If the car is all original then at minimum you will want to keep the seats to keep the car original for the day, should it come, you want to sell it.
2) If the car is not all original and you are looking purely for comfort then you have choices all through the C-3, C-4, C-5 and C-6 seats available today. There are many threads here on the forum that speak to using alternate generation seats in the C-3’s and you can find a lot of them by using the search engine by topic.
3) Fiero and other GM and non GM seats have been used on the C-3 Corvette family. I am covering and installing a pair of Fiero GT Seats from a 1986 Fiero GT into my road race replica, as an example. My point is you have options if you want them.
4) I have owned three 1977’s and I believe that they are more comfortable than the 72 stock seats but that could be due to wear as well. But I offer a caution when you replace the covers (leather, leather like, or vinyl) you will want to add new foam as well and that will change the ride height of your seats. It also changes the stiffness of the seats but over time that will break down again.
5) For covering the seats I have used Willcox Corvette. They are my “Go To” source for seat covers and seat covering. Corvette America covers seats and so does Al Knoch. You can learn more about them again doing a search here on the CF. Personal preference only here, I have also used local shops with limited success. There are also videos on U-Tube which can be helpful with the task and again Willcox Corvette has service guides on their website to assist with this and many other technical details.
Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.
Welcome to the Corvette Forum.
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 AM
lt1user
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
This is a great question and having a 72 myself I struggled through this decision as well.
First let me welcome you to the Corvette Forum and your first post. I hope you find it a rewarding addition (both car and membership) and this community has many who will help you with your questions.

Secondly, the seats. We all hate to hear "it depends" but nobody asked so I will to open this discussion up a bit for you. It depends on great many factors and honestly only you know which pertain to you, but let me list a few options.
1) If the car is all original then at minimum you will want to keep the seats to keep the car original for the day, should it come, you want to sell it.
2) If the car is not all original and you are looking purely for comfort then you have choices all through the C-3, C-4, C-5 and C-6 seats available today. There are many threads here on the forum that speak to using alternate generation seats in the C-3’s and you can find a lot of them by using the search engine by topic.
3) Fiero and other GM and non GM seats have been used on the C-3 Corvette family. I am covering and installing a pair of Fiero GT Seats from a 1986 Fiero GT into my road race replica, as an example. My point is you have options if you want them.
4) I have owned three 1977’s and I believe that they are more comfortable than the 72 stock seats but that could be due to wear as well. But I offer a caution when you replace the covers (leather, leather like, or vinyl) you will want to add new foam as well and that will change the ride height of your seats. It also changes the stiffness of the seats but over time that will break down again.
5) For covering the seats I have used Willcox Corvette. They are my “Go To” source for seat covers and seat covering. Corvette America covers seats and so does Al Knoch. You can learn more about them again doing a search here on the CF. Personal preference only here, I have also used local shops with limited success. There are also videos on U-Tube which can be helpful with the task and again Willcox Corvette has service guides on their website to assist with this and many other technical details.
Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.
Welcome to the Corvette Forum.
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Thank you Dave, I had seat cover and rebuild conversations with a business in Allentown, he said "they can call it anything they went" but vinyl would be his preference. I was leaning toward leather before we talked, now I don't know. I brought my vette up near your way, a guy in Freemansburg. Thanks for your the input.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thank you Dave, I had seat cover and rebuild conversations with a business in Allentown, he said "they can call it anything they went" but vinyl would be his preference. I was leaning toward leather before we talked, now I don't know. I brought my vette up near your way, a guy in Freemansburg. Thanks for your the input.
Vinyl is easier to work with and stretch, true, I agree on that front.
Sabatini Coach Works in Nazareth might be an option for you as well. I had leather seats covered there, cost me $300 for them to do it and saved me a bunch of time. Just a thought.
Let me know if I can help you sort anything out on the Corvette.
Best regards,
David
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:43 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

But we need to see some pictures of your car lt1user :- )
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:29 AM
lt1user
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
Vinyl is easier to work with and stretch, true, I agree on that front.
Sabatini Coach Works in Nazareth might be an option for you as well. I had leather seats covered there, cost me $300 for them to do it and saved me a bunch of time. Just a thought.
Let me know if I can help you sort anything out on the Corvette.
Best regards,
David
Hey David, Thanks for the tips will use them. Can I ask about how long ago you had your seats done? And was that $300. each or both, with or without materials? I just might consider this option. Much appreciated..
Regards, Paul
Old 01-14-2018, 11:58 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Hey David, Thanks for the tips will use them. Can I ask about how long ago you had your seats done? And was that $300. each or both, with or without materials? I just might consider this option. Much appreciated..
Regards, Paul
I bought the seat covers from Willcox and the foam as well. I also bought the do-it-yourself kit they sell with the hog rings, etc. $300 was a total for both seats. About six years ago so prices for sure would be higher now but quotes are free.
Good luck.
David
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

I always liked the look of the stock seats. I find them comfortable but I've heard others complain they are not.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:45 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on your first post. I have a set of a 72 also and am not fond of the stock seats. I have a set of 81 seats that I will be using. I plan to put the 72 seat tracks on the bottom of the clam shells. I have done this before and liked it very much.

Jim
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
It really quite possible to do the seat cover replacement yourself.
It's certainly not easy or quick, but still very do-able.
There are some videos around that are helpful in learning the procedure.
I found it to be a good idea to work on one seat at a time so you have one of the originals to refer to as you do the first one.
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan

As with many things on my car this was my first attempt.
These covers were purchased from Al Knock.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.
lt1user (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Congratulations on the new ride. Let your back be the judge. No back problems and the drives aren't days long, restore the old ones. Back problems that won't let you ride for more than an hour or two, replace them. A lot of people I know have put the multi adjustable C5 seats in the C3's and have made a world of difference.
lt1user (01-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To My first post..............1972 seats advice..

Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Is there really any difference between the 68-78 seats other than which way the seams go?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome to the Forums...

I am doing my 71 seats myself. Had to straighten the rear lower portion and re-Weld a couple broken spots on the Frame. In a way I was glad to see the damage as it gave me the opportunity to fabricate a support (can also be purchased from one of our vendors) and weld that on. Cheap upgrade at about $7 in material and will improve a weakness in that part of the seat. I am doing new seat foam but I am going to have to replace one lower bottom.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd restore the original seats unless you're going to try racing the car or something. If you're going to do anything with corners you will probably want more lateral support.

I re-covered my seats, should have got new foam too but didn't.

It's expensive to get someone to do it for you, but also to do it yourself is very fiddly and time consuming. If I were to do it again I'd break the job up and spread it out over a few weekends rather than try to knock it all out on a Saturday like I did. You have to be super careful when you cut them to fit, there's no going back if you hurry and cut wrong. Also I thought my hand was going to fall off after doing so many little hog rings.

Anyway, it's expensive because it's kind of an art and they do it right the first time. But it's do-able if you're patient and careful.

Quick Reply: My first post..............1972 seats advice..