Sponsored by:

Baddest 69 on the planet at BJ Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:26 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rad55
Wow.....based on comments on this thread, not many of the responders like the "cartoonish" looks of 20" rims on the back of the older Vettes. Thank goodness there are a few of us out there who like to modernize their older Vettes with larger rims not to mention many other upgrades that results in being a fun, fast and safe car to drive! I build Resto Mods as a hobby and I always go with a wheel combo of 18" front / 20" rears (Just my personal favorite look) on resto mods.

What I truly enjoy about the car hobby is keeping an "open mind" about individual tastes and not be too critical about what choices the individuals choose while building their cars to their own "personal" tastes. The main reason I go to car shows is to see the diversity of how cars are being build so I can include some of these "dare to be different ideas" in my next build. I also truly appreciate original cars, but I believe that one of the main objective of our hobby is to get the cars on the road/car shows so the younger generations will see them and just maybe they will be the ones in a few years that will buy our "old cars" once we move on! As you can guess I'm an old guy!

Attached are pictures of my 66 Resto mod with 18/20" rims and my most recent 69 project which will eventually have the same combo of rims installed.
I have zero issues with 18" and 20" wheels. Heck I put them on my '55 Nomad in 1999. You talk about polarizing.
For me the issue is about drivability. How long trip capable is the '69 in the O/P?
The Roadster Shop '64 or '68 to me is much more road worthy. Besides if it's the diameter of the wheels that's issue 20 lugs later replace them with something you like. That '69 is going to be no more drivable with 15s. IMCO it wasn't built for the complete driving experience. It was built to be a show stopper which it is regardless where your taste lies. I see your Corvette with the 18s and 20s being very drivable.
The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Prostreeter1
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

After reading the comments of driveability, 20's, air bags, clownish, etc....Here's my thoughts.

Cars like I posted are not meant for cross county or even cross state road trips. Cars like this are built for aesthetics only. They are show cars with limited driveability. Hell, my 68 restomod fits in this category. I just cruise that car around town and would never take it on a 100 mile road trip. It could do it but with the high HP, huge cam and deafening exhaust note, the car wasn't designed for interstate travel. It was designed to be a show stopper, like the 69 in this thread. My C7 Z06 will handle that job.

Ride height, YUP...they don't look as aesthetically cool when being driven. My 67 I referenced earlier in the thread was so uncomfortable to drive, not because of the air suspension, rather, the driver seat only had one position and I was too cramped driving that car is the only reason I sold it.

Take a look at both pictures, one slammed on the ground and one at ride height. I agree with a poster or two, they just don't look as cool at ride height. There was definitely a sweet spot when filling the air bags...if not filled to the exact pressure it was like driving on a 4x4 trail.

In any event.....I still think that 69 is the BOMB!
bosco1 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:27 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

So unless i missed something we are talking about resto mods so over built to just look at, ( and only look good to their fans sitting still ) they cant be driven in any practical manner but do cost 1 to 2 100k

69427 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
So unless i missed something we are talking about resto mods so over built to just look at, ( and only look good to their fans sitting still ) they cant be driven in any practical manner but do cost 1 to 2 100k

Kind of like the Ed Roth "cars" of the 60s.................
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Just lurking here, biting my tongue.......Great thread!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Just lurking here, biting my tongue.......Great thread!

You`re doing very well WB!
Demonstrating excellent restraint!
We`re so proud of you!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by oldgto

You`re doing very well WB!
Demonstrating excellent restraint!
We`re so proud of you!

Thanks old"goat"

I must say, that I'm shocked, by the majority of the posts written in this thread!

The amount of TIME that goes into these "pieces of art" (to so many), is simply amazing. Too many times, stolen at a fraction of the real costs or dollars invested.
Remember, there was some human, that spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, years, of their existence to create such wonders. The engineering, the paint, the power is just mind blowing.

Trust me, I do get it!

For the OP, I would have expected a thread full of pictures of your coveted Resto Mods??? No?

Just a small poke, my idea of the "Baddest '69 on the Planet" would be a '69 Triple Black L88 UNrestored Original everything. And I can add, I know a guy that owns two! One is restored and one that's all original!

Gotta add, emoticons mean a lot to me. We are faceless here, so when I add one I usually mean it!

To the OP

Last edited by Don Rickles; 01-17-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: sp
bosco1 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Prostreeter1
This is the coolest restomod ever built out of all generations, in my opinion. I would love to phone bid it but I'm sure it's out of my reach as I think it will hit 185k.

Place your bids......

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...ERTIBLE-214704
Huge rear wheels spoil the look
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I would not say this is the baddest C3 on the planet. Old school Big block and really not that big of a Big Block and an old school Turbo 400. I agree a ton of money and time in the build and it is different and the wheels some will like other not so. I have seen way better C2 and C3 cars that are driveable than this. This is garage art to be driven a couple of miles then put back in the trailer. Not knocking it but it is not a real desirable car for that kind of money. Maybe 80K for it but nothing real out of this world on this car. Done well but they could have gone further for that kind of money.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Prostreeter1
After reading the comments of driveability, 20's, air bags, clownish, etc....Here's my thoughts.

Cars like I posted are not meant for cross county or even cross state road trips. Cars like this are built for aesthetics only. They are show cars with limited driveability. Hell, my 68 restomod fits in this category. I just cruise that car around town and would never take it on a 100 mile road trip. It could do it but with the high HP, huge cam and deafening exhaust note, the car wasn't designed for interstate travel. It was designed to be a show stopper, like the 69 in this thread. My C7 Z06 will handle that job.

Ride height, YUP...they don't look as aesthetically cool when being driven. My 67 I referenced earlier in the thread was so uncomfortable to drive, not because of the air suspension, rather, the driver seat only had one position and I was too cramped driving that car is the only reason I sold it.

In any event.....I still think that 69 is the BOMB!
Originally Posted by The13Bats

Not surprising that there have been so many opposing viewpoints in this thread.

I'm in the camp of "if I don't enjoy using it, I don't care how "cool" it looks." I'd be disappointed any time I got behind the wheel. Sounds like Prostreeter at least understands that, having sold his 67 because of the cramped driving position.

Some of my own aversion to this kind of build is the ridiculous $$$ it takes to accomplish them. Maybe if I were rich and could drop a couple hundred grand to realize my own demented automotive fantasies I'd be more receptive to those of others, but alas, I have limited means.

No harm in loving that Black Beauty! She's a looker and good for some spirited fun. But she won't be reliable...won't get the groceries, get you to work, then get cleaned up in the evening and still be a head turner down at the local car show or gas-n-sip. Different strokes.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

The amount of TIME that goes into these "pieces of art" (to so many), is simply amazing. Too many times, stolen at a fraction of the real costs or dollars invested.
Remember, there was some human, that spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, years, of their existence to create such wonders. The engineering, the paint, the power is just mind blowing.

<snip>

To be fair though, we can say the same thing for a perfectly restored original C3 that is bought for a fraction of the price of the restoration. It happens often.

Look, it's perfectly clear that you are against ANY modification to the original cars. Stock or go home! We get it! And that's cool. But let's face it, some cars are sitting in garages and junkyards without their original drive trains and frames. Rather than crushing them, or searching for the original engines for a lifetime to no avail while the body collects dust, another option is to restomod. I get it. Yeah, some are over the top cartoon cars, but others are pretty cool. It sure beats seeing them deteriorate further, never to see the road ever again, right?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by Chapter2
To be fair though, we can say the same thing for a perfectly restored original C3 that is bought for a fraction of the price of the restoration. It happens often.

Look, it's perfectly clear that you are against ANY modification to the original cars. Stock or go home! We get it! And that's cool. But let's face it, some cars are sitting in garages and junkyards without their original drive trains and frames. Rather than crushing them, or searching for the original engines for a lifetime to no avail while the body collects dust, another option is to restomod. I get it. Yeah, some are over the top cartoon cars, but others are pretty cool. It sure beats seeing them deteriorate further, never to see the road ever again, right?

Right but this thread is about the 69!I don’t have time to play here gotta go earn some shekels....Have a nice day all!

Last edited by Don Rickles; 01-18-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Right but this thread is about the 69!I don’t have time to play here gotta go earn some shekels....Have a nice day all!
Yeah, but you opened the door to a broader discussion. To wit:

"my idea of the "Baddest '69 on the Planet" would be a '69 Triple Black L88 UNrestored Original everything. And I can add, I know a guy that owns two!"

What do those 2 have to do with this '69?

and:

"The amount of TIME that goes into these "pieces of art" (to so many), is simply amazing. Too many times, stolen at a fraction of the real costs or dollars invested."

Obviously you want to talk about more than just this '69!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:55 PM
bosco1
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 109 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Prostreeter snapped a pic of this car at Good-Guys in Nashville a couple years ago. Reminds me of your Mid-Year. It was an award winner for the weekend...

Prostreeter1 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:19 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The sooner the "huge rims" trend dies the better. 17s or 18s looks good on a C3.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

bye
the only over zealous poster here was you.
i get it, you like the car. yawn.
and apparently only your opinion matters.
"the baddest".

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-18-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: remove quote of deleted post
Old 01-18-2018, 07:16 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by calwldlife
bye
the only over zealous poster here was you.
i get it, you like the car. yawn.
and apparently only your opinion matters.
"the baddest".
I took it as the ops personal feeling was this is the baddest of c3s, nothing wrong with that, he didnt call my pos 69 a pos, or put me down like others on here like to do,

about 98.5% of the replies ( mine included ) have not been very kind about the threads 69,

I thought the op took it very well, not once did he trash another guys car,

I see nothing wrong with having zeal about something we are passinate about.

But yeah, if we dont like a thread no guns to our head we can just move on...

But i am curious how much the threads car will sell for

EDIT:
My use of the word "zeal" was directed only at the ops love of the 69 car he posted and in no way was i supporting breaking forum rules.

Last edited by The13Bats; 01-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Baddest 69 on the planet at BJ Scottsdale

Old 01-18-2018, 07:28 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

close for review

-----------

OK, re-opening for the time being. If people want to continue discussing the car in the OP, fine; if theres more conflict we can have more sanctions. Up to you guys.

2 different moderators have removed posts by multiple posters in this thread. Im not sure why conflct is so popular in C3 these days, but it is. I will state that publicly complaining about moderation is not "zeal"- its against forum rules. At any rate, posts contributing to conflicts will be removed at moderators' discretion.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 01-18-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: re-open
Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

That car looks sweet as all hell!

To all the nay sayers:
There are those that dream big and act upon it and then there are those that live in the comforts of their little box and are happy with that.

Which one are you?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 76Rat
That car looks sweet as all hell!

To all the nay sayers:
There are those that dream big and act upon it and then there are those that live in the comforts of their little box and are happy with that.

Which one are you?

I don't often see black or white but some shade of gray. And everyone has a "comfort" zone whether they want to admit it or not.

Quick Reply: Baddest 69 on the planet at BJ Scottsdale