Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf spring coating question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:14 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I agree that those are just shipping bands and can and should be removed but I'm not seeing where the spring would not retain it's 'progressive' spring rate with them on. The bands don't look like they'd prevent the leaves from sliding relative to one another.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I spoke to a mechanic and he thought the reason my leafs spread was because they didn't have "c" hooks on them. Basically a bracket that goes almost all the way around that prevents them from separating.

I am surprise that this is such an open discussion. I would have thought this would have been a open and close case.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi S,
The 'shipping brackets' should be removed when the spring is installed.
If the center bolt is properly torqued, and the plastic liners are in place, the leafs won't pivot.
Regards,
Alan

What is the proper torque?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
I wrote that with a specific torque value in mind.

I tighten the nut enough to pull all the arched leafs tight against each other and against the 3 flat leafs.
Tight enough so the spring can be put in place without the individual leafs moving around while I'm doing that.

I'm thinking it's the torque on the 4 bolts that mount the spring to the differential housing (70 ft.lb.) that determines how tight against each other the leafs are.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-30-2020, 08:44 AM
SGMP
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 79 with 2 1/2" 10-leaf. I took a sample of original metal liner, with lengths I needed for each liner, to an HVAC shop. The tech cut strips of similar gauge sheet metal 2 1/2 inches wide, and to the lengths I needed. Did not charge much. Galvanized sheet metal contains zinc, and I painted springs with light gray, cold galvanizing spray.

Another option might be 2 1/2" zinc metal flashing used in roofing near the peaks, to prevent moss growth on the roof. I have not looked at any of that flashing, so I have no idea how thin and how soft it is. I went with the sheet metal because it was similar to the original material, rust resistant, and will allow the leaves to slide when flexing.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMP
I have a 79 with 2 1/2" 10-leaf. I took a sample of original metal liner, with lengths I needed for each liner, to an HVAC shop. The tech cut strips of similar gauge sheet metal 2 1/2 inches wide, and to the lengths I needed. Did not charge much. Galvanized sheet metal contains zinc, and I painted springs with light gray, cold galvanizing spray.

Another option might be 2 1/2" zinc metal flashing used in roofing near the peaks, to prevent moss growth on the roof. I have not looked at any of that flashing, so I have no idea how thin and how soft it is. I went with the sheet metal because it was similar to the original material, rust resistant, and will allow the leaves to slide when flexing.
You are responding to a post from 2 years ago.

Quick Reply: Leaf spring coating question