Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas for Dash Speakers for 74

Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 PM
dreno73
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ideas for Dash Speakers for 74

I’m having a hard time finding decent speakers for the dash on my 74. I tried Pioneer 3 way speakers but when I went to mount the speedo & tach, the magnet stuck down too far and I had the same issue on the passenger side as well. I’d like to go with 3 way speakers because this is the only set I plan to install but I’m not set on it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:57 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The dash is a great place for tweeter/mid-range speakers; but it is a horrible place for low/bass frequencies. So, really, all you need to get for the dash are some reasonable quality, low power (30 watt or so), single cone (or two-way) speakers of the correct impedance to match your radio head.

If you still have the stock Delco radio, it requires 10 ohm speakers; but an 8 ohm speaker match is fine (no damage to radio will result). Mid/tweeters in the dash along with bass/mid speakers in the kickpanel areas will give a full, rich sound to the stock radio. 4 ohm speakers in dash and kicks, wired in series will yield 8 ohm speaker match. I highly recommend this combo, if you still use the Delco radio. If you go this route, the place to put your money would be in the kickpanel speakers.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-23-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I had the same problem finding 3-way for the dash. I ended up using Kicker 4x6 in the dash and adding 6" rounds in the kick for some base.
Then I added an 8" sub in the jack compartment (see my albums for pics and info), that really got me some base.
I ended up changing my seats to Fiero seats with speakers in the headrests. I installed Kicker 3.5's in there, best addition yet for sound. I can hear them at 60 miles an hour with the roof off.
Your biggest problem is going to be getting some substantial sound coming from the rear. Lots of people have 6x9's in the back in a box, but I wanted the car to look stock when you stand beside it.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ken

Last edited by 74Ken; 01-23-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

I purchased the following and they fit great and are a lightweight inexpensive 3 way
Sound Storm Laboratories SLQ346. Got them on Amazon. I had to modift the existing potmetal bracket from old speaker as the cross on it interfered with mid and tweeter. Still strong. Also had to mark and drill the 4 bolt holes in speaker. They sound great and do not interfere
Old 01-23-2018, 04:50 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yes, the speaker mounting holes in the original speakers are different than for modern speakers. I suggest that you purchase speakers with plastic frames. Then you can drill or (as I did) use a pencil-tipped soldering iron to melt holes in the frame where you need them. Dash speakers don't absorb much power and frames don't need to be metal to manage the speaker. They have worked well for me.

You DO need to reuse the original speaker retaining system so that weight of speakers will not damage dash cap from vibration, etc over time.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-23-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ideas for Dash Speakers for 74

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideas for Dash Speakers for 74